Violent Storm and other dream cores....

crusher talos

Violent Storm and other dream cores....

Unread post by crusher talos »

Hey all,
Lots of new developments with MiSTer when it comes to arcade cores. Jotego releasing AvsP the other day has just been such a joy for me, as well for many others I am sure.
It had my mind wondering what other cores would be just amazing on the MiSTer?
I immediately went to Violent Storm, a bit of an obscure Konami brawler and it doesnt look THAT great when you watch videos of it but man, it is fun to play.
I wish I had more ability in getting something like off the ground personallu. Maybe a noob core collective project? Any takers?
In any case, what are some cores you would like to see? ( yes, TMNT, simpsons ect... is a given)
Whats your Violent Storm? ( Elevator Action 2 while Im at it)
hiddenbyleaves

Re: Violent Storm and other dream cores....

Unread post by hiddenbyleaves »

Tetris The Grand Master. NBA Jam!
taz07rx

Unread post by taz07rx »

Gaelco World Rally Championship , what a great game :)
crusher talos

Oh nice!
All excellent choices!
NBA Jam would be just insane to have.
Alkadian
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alkadian »

I would love to see Bank Panic and Golden Axe! :mrgreen:
crusher talos

I had not heard of Bank Panic but looks fun!

Golden Axe is another great choice! While we are at it, why not "Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder"?
JudgeDrokk

Unread post by JudgeDrokk »

Mr Do! is coming but i'd love to see Mr Do's Castle or Crystal Castles.

Oh and Rodland too!

Also the early 80s Nintendo shooter........... Space Firebird!
crusher talos

Some great choices there!
Never heard of Rodland but looks like one to definitely check out.
A little bit of history with the Nintendo shooter as well, good stuff.
Would love to be able to play that.
MiSTer_Kirk

Unread post by MiSTer_Kirk »

Some driving games, if they'll fit, would be nice.
Outrun
Pole Position
Chase HQ
crusher talos

Oh man,
Totally forgot about these games. Good call!
Chase HQ on my TV?! childhood dream.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Sega System 16 would be great, with games like Galaxy Force, After Burner and Space Harrier as well (check out the amazing 3DS versions if you have one). I wonder if the MT32-pi could be used with Outrun.

A classic Sega racing game is Monaco GP, which doesn't use a CPU, I played that as a kid on a school outing, would really love to see that on MiSTer. It has weather and night time parts, really fun game. I played Space Panic on a school outing as well, that one is also fun.

I'd love to see some of the arcade games that got Lynx ports, like Hard Drivin' (with force-feedback steering wheel support), STUN Runner, Roadblasters, Xenophobe, Toki, Ninja Gaiden, QiX and APB. I'd love to see Toobin' as well.

There's a game called Intrepid, which is a bit like Elevator Action. I've played it on a cabinet and it is really fun. I also like Choplifter and Omega Race, played them a lot on my VIC-20.

It is great to already see so many classic and obscure arcade games on MiSTer.
johhenrik

Unread post by johhenrik »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am ...
A classic Sega racing game is Monaco GP, which doesn't use a CPU, I played that as a kid on a school outing, would really love to see that on MiSTer. It has weather and night time parts, really fun game. I played Space Panic on a school outing as well, that one is also fun.
Jotego tweeted yesterday about Monaco GP, so looks like he is working on it, ot at least investigating it.

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1369197316075380736
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

johhenrik wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:52 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am ...
Jotego tweeted yesterday about Monaco GP, so looks like he is working on it, ot at least investigating it.

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1369197316075380736
Oh wow, would be really great if he could make a core of that one. I bet it has a massive amount of chips.
His remark is exactly what I was thinking, a perfect candidate for FPGA implementation.

EDIT: I now remember I mentioned this game here before somewhere. I had found someone on YouTube who implemented this game on an FPGA chip. I contacted him but never heard anything back, sadly.
Gryzor

Unread post by Gryzor »

I'd go bonkers over a TAITO core for Rastan, Rainbow Islands and New Zealand story :O
Fallon

Unread post by Fallon »

My top 3: Out Run, Ridge Racer and R-Type.
macro
Core Developer

Unread post by macro »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am I played Space Panic on a school outing as well, that one is also fun.
I may look at that since it is also one of the games I used to play BITD, along with Cosmic Guerrilla

from memory, Space panic is bitmap video background with 8 sprites and a Z80, Cosmic Guerrilla is just bitmap using a 6845, but this time with a TI9980 CPU

so many to do, and not enough time!
Did I do something useful?

buy me a coffee
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

macro wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:16 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am I played Space Panic on a school outing as well, that one is also fun.
I may look at that since it is also one of the games I used to play BITD, along with Cosmic Guerrilla

from memory, Space panic is bitmap video background with 8 sprites and a Z80, Cosmic Guerrilla is just bitmap using a 6845, but this time with a TI9980 CPU

so many to do, and not enough time!
That would be really great, I'd love to have it on MiSTer. I've played a Cosmic Guerrilla clone on my VIC-20, also a really fun game.

For me it is also often a lack of energy, I hate being tired, which is why I'm often tired, because I'm bad at resting :lol:
MiSTer_Kirk

A classic Sega racing game is Monaco GP,
Imagine if the Mister could output 2 different displays for Monaco GP. One for the game, and one for the LEDs, that alone would open up a whole new world for arcade games such as dual screen games (Nintendo's Punch Out).
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:07 pm
A classic Sega racing game is Monaco GP,
Imagine if the Mister could output 2 different displays for Monaco GP. One for the game, and one for the LEDs, that alone would open up a whole new world for arcade games such as dual screen games (Nintendo's Punch Out).
This makes me wonder if the MT32-pi could be used as an information display when it is not used for audio.
MiSTer_Kirk

This makes me wonder if the MT32-pi could be used as an information display when it is not used for audio.
Could the user port be used to connect a small Pi TFT 5" display ?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

MiSTer_Kirk wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:52 pm
Could the user port be used to connect a small Pi TFT 5" display ?
Hmm, how cool would that be. I've just read somewhere that some components are limiting the speed of the user port and it could be improved with an altered IO board.
crusher talos

That would be amazing.
crusher talos

LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am Sega System 16 would be great, with games like Galaxy Force, After Burner and Space Harrier as well (check out the amazing 3DS versions if you have one). I wonder if the MT32-pi could be used with Outrun.
Such a fan of Space Harrier, all those scaling games are so much fun. I did manage to pick up the 3 game set of that collection in Japan.
LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am I'd love to see some of the arcade games that got Lynx ports, like Hard Drivin' (with force-feedback steering wheel support), STUN Runner, Roadblasters, Xenophobe, Toki, Ninja Gaiden, QiX and APB. I'd love to see Toobin' as well.
I think Jotego also got a pcb of ninja gaiden.
LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am There's a game called Intrepid, which is a bit like Elevator Action. I've played it on a cabinet and it is really fun. I also like Choplifter and Omega Race, played them a lot on my VIC-20.
I'll have to check that out!
LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 am It is great to already see so many classic and obscure arcade games on MiSTer.
That is very true!!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

crusher talos wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:01 pmSuch a fan of Space Harrier, all those scaling games are so much fun. I did manage to pick up the 3 game set of that collection in Japan.
Nice! I bought every game from the online store as they came out, hoping that would help to keep them going :D Then got the physical set for Power Drift. The developer interviews are a lot of fun to read as well.
I think Jotego also got a pcb of ninja gaiden.
Cool, this is all more likely to happen than I expected.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Definitely those classic '90s Midway boards. It's great that most of the Street Fighter games are going to be available soon as well as Darkstalkers and Marvel vs. Capcom, but we need Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam. Midway T-Unit and Wolf Unit would give us the Mortal Kombat trilogy, NBA Jam plus NBA Hangtime, Rampage World Tour, 2 on 2 Open Ice Challenge, and WWF Wrestlemania. Would be great!
crusher talos

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:35 pm Definitely those classic '90s Midway boards. It's great that most of the Street Fighter games are going to be available soon as well as Darkstalkers and Marvel vs. Capcom, but we need Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam. Midway T-Unit and Wolf Unit would give us the Mortal Kombat trilogy, NBA Jam plus NBA Hangtime, Rampage World Tour, 2 on 2 Open Ice Challenge, and WWF Wrestlemania. Would be great!
NBA Jam I can see would be a very popular option because anyone can play it, even if they are not into sports. (myself included ahaha)

Mortal Kombat would be absolutely huge as well.

Totally forgot about WWF!
Slipard

Unread post by Slipard »

Flash Gal.
Really.
So underrated game...
crusher talos

Slipard wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:10 pm Flash Gal.
Really.
So underrated game...
that is a CRAZY looking game. I dig it.

So how does one even start learn to do something like hardware emulation for mister? Is it just that far and beyond mere mortals? I am certainly interested in how this whole process even happens.
I mean, if it means I can somehow get some of these greats on the list to being on the Mister at least....
robinsonb5

Unread post by robinsonb5 »

crusher talos wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:01 pmSuch a fan of Space Harrier, all those scaling games are so much fun. I did manage to pick up the 3 game set of that collection in Japan.
Space Harrier would be my "Holy Grail" core. I'd also love to see Chase HQ and (probably more realistically) Dragon Breed.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

I really enjoy extremely old arcade games. @bellwood420 has done an excellent job of recreating a couple of discrete logic games. He made Breakout and recently just released Space Race. I love those early 70s arcade games because they're so simple in design. More of those would be a lot of fun. It's so satisfying to play a game where you simply just move a directional pad to play and you can get your parents to play with you.

Also, MiSTer is severely lacking in arcade light gun games. As far as I know, we have 0 arcade light gun games. The Jurassic Park game from Sega is a game I love as well as Area 51/Maximum Force, the original House of the Dead, Virtua Cop, and Lethal Enforcers to name a few. Light gun games need some love since it's essentially a dead genre in modern gaming. That Sinden lightgun looks like it'd be an awesome fit for a MiSTer setup too.