Wishlist of Cores You Would Like to See in the Future

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
offset

Re: Wishlist of Cores You Would Like to See in the Future

Unread post by offset »

Millipede :) I have the 3-in-1 arcade game with Centipede/Millipede/Missile Command and need a backup in case my jamma pcb dies one day. https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_deta ... me_id=7300

Syntax Error

Unread post by Syntax Error »

Sega Arcade boards up to Model 1 (System 16A, 16B, 18, 24, 32 etc.)
Sega Model 1
Sega Model 2
Atari Jaguar
Pentium + 3DFX based PC core
Atari Falcon 030 (+evt the never released
Roadblasters (working, didnt work for me)
Golden Axe (if still not)
Commander x16
F 040 microbox (never released) (https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/show ... box-casing)

Agon Light 2 (https://www.thebyteattic.com/p/agon.html)

easyflash support for the c64 core and IDE64 (i wonder why "the scene" hasnt picked up the task of building the core to the max yet)

frankly i cant follow anymore its starting to look like phone chargers where everyone with a soldering attic has their own neo-retro machine now

if it ever makes it to a working Falcon that would be already be pretty awesome, they did the sharp after all so it has to be possible

hmm

edit : i knew i forgot one but its not really a core for an existing machine, i been thinking about trying to get linux on the 486 to get internet connectivity but present day browsers will probably not work so if thats possible in any way it would be great to have a "browser-core" ...
in this im not sure in how far mister could do video stream decoding (it would certainly need something to block ads b/c that tracking code eats half your resources before the page even starts) but even if it didnt run videos and could do text pages with images (and maybe functional javascript) it would be nice to have otherwise im probably going for the first ra-pi that ever got my attention , which should be available here by easter or next summer at twice the announced price i suppose and promises desktop computing at 10 or 20 watts including a browser ... just an idea, i been looking for "custom machines" since i got a mister but theres probably too many existing ones to start on that, some kind of mister-demoscene boasting non-existing custom cores plastered together from existing units (dreamer ...)

i just forgot "the browser core" would be great if thats possible

tcdev

Unread post by tcdev »

_javi_ wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:20 pm

I wish a core for Tehkan's STAR FORCE would be on the making..

One of my favourites too!

midline_slippy

Unread post by midline_slippy »

Only a couple really,

Mortal Kombat 1 - 3 Ultimate
I know there are issues here and it may never happen, but hopefully.

Atari Jaguar and CD
This is more of a I am curious about this console(s). Never played with them. Have 0 nostalgia for it. I would also lump the CDi and 3D0 in that category. This would complete the 6th Gen Consoles? (The fact N64 and Saturn are playable - with all the its impossible posts, Heck, Isn't the N64 core getting close to being cycle accurate?). Have always been curious about and wanted to play the notorious the Mario and Zelda CDi games...

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and TurboGrafix 16/Pc Engine LaserActive
I actually used to play this when I was younger (well, one game). My uncle picked one up not really knowing what it was other than a "cheap LaserDisk Player". My grandma (his sister) purchased the Genesis pac and a couple games (Sonic 2 and Don Quixote). We mostly played Sonic. And Terminator 2 on LaserDisk. If you have never seen that version of the movie, it is worth tracking down. The scene in the garage where they change the "mode" of the T100 (this missing scene alone helps explain a LOT, like why he is teaching the terminator to smile later) and the T1000 messing up at the end in the steel mill (only a couple seconds of cut footage, but very informative information). Can't forget the original ending... Sorry, T2 was a favorite of mine and still is. Ill probably watch the SE version now (its basically the same, but with the Alt Ending that we all saw in the theatre and most releases).

Pole Position
If this is released, I haven't noticed it... It runs on an old Namco? core?? "Prepare to Qualify"

With all of that, Let me express my sincere gratitude for all the time and effort all the devs have already put into the existing cores. The MiSTer could get completely abandoned and I would still LOVE everything about what it currently is. I never thought I would get into the Arcade cores the way I did. It reinvigorated my love for Street Fighter and kinda why I want Mortal Kombat so badly...

offset

Unread post by offset »

midline_slippy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:56 pm

Pole Position
If this is released, I haven't noticed it... It runs on an old Namco? core?? "Prepare to Qualify"

Would love to see the source released from Adam's (One Circuit) work on this previously so someone else can continue the work
https://ppclone.blogspot.com/

CartoonDonkey

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

Mega65

pashdown

Unread post by pashdown »

Exidy Sorcerer

mong00se

Unread post by mong00se »

Was there ever a Sonic the hedgehog arcade? not the megadrive version. I seam to remember playing it on an arcade cab 30 years ago. If not i am dreaming but hey we can dream. Sure i put a few quid into that cabinet. Was it a dream? Was it in a sega megatech? Anyway if it can be done make it so Mister fpga gods.
https://arcadeheroes.com/2016/06/23/his ... og-arcade/

midline_slippy

Unread post by midline_slippy »

mong00se wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:27 pm

Was there ever a Sonic the hedgehog arcade? not the megadrive version. I seam to remember playing it on an arcade cab 30 years ago. If not i am dreaming but hey we can dream. Sure i put a few quid into that cabinet. Was it a dream? Was it in a sega megatech? Anyway if it can be done make it so Mister fpga gods.
https://arcadeheroes.com/2016/06/23/his ... og-arcade/

Probably thinking of the Sega MegaPlay. Its was Sega's ver of the PlayersChoice 10.
https://www.arcade-museum.com/Videogame/sega-mega-play

TheRetroCave on YouTube just did a through cleaning and refresh of a UK version of one of these cabs not too long ago.

mong00se

Unread post by mong00se »

Yes. Megaplay is the play thanks.

guizzy

Unread post by guizzy »

On the arcade side, honestly, I think CPS3 is the only one I'm waiting eagerly on right now, after that... A lot of the other games I wish were there are either serviced well enough by PSX and Saturn ports (NBA Jam, MK3, etc...), or likely out of reach of the MiSTer (NAOMI arcade fighting games like Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Capcom vs. SNK, Guilty Gear X/XX, etc...)

For consoles, 3DO, Jaguar and Laseractive would be neat but not essential in any way.

And for computers, it's not so much that I'm wishing for new cores, but I hope that more of them will reach the maturity level of, say, the Amiga and C64 cores. There's more "technically it works, but..." cores on the computer side than for arcade and consoles.

mike911

Unread post by mike911 »

I am very happy with the current console cores, but I would like more arcade cores.

Namco System 12 (Tekken Tag Tournament, Soul Calibur)
Sega Model 1 (Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing)
Sega Model 2 (VF2, Sega Rally, Daytona USA)
PGM (DDP DOJ, Ketsui, EspGaluda)

I probably should have mentioned CPS3 but I never really got into Sf3. A real bummer they couldn't get midway cores to work on mister as MK1,2 and NBA jam are some of my most played games as a kid.

Bernouilli

Unread post by Bernouilli »

I would love to have a core for the EPSON QX-10.
It's a great computer from the 80´ that runs CP/M.

I love the display with a nice font.

Dr Johnny Bananas

Unread post by Dr Johnny Bananas »

deltax0 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:24 pm

This topic is about cores you would like to see in the future. Cores that aren't being worked on already.

IGS PGM arcade system!

vampsthevampyre

Unread post by vampsthevampyre »

Love to see one I played on holiday in Mallorca when I was 10

Arcade:

Intrepid

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

vampsthevampyre wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:40 pm

Love to see one I played on holiday in Mallorca when I was 10

Arcade:

Intrepid

I requested that one as well earlier, really fun game.
EDIT: Looks like its hardware isn't shared with other games: https://www.arcade-museum.com/Videogame/intrepid

PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

with the advent of Groovy_MiSTer and the progress thats been made for better compression, more cores working in Retroarch, inputs working from MiSTer controllers, and the fact that it bypasses what a computer GPU driver would have to buffer (so we get lower input lag compared to the machine playing MAME), the MiSTer has already reached what i would call its last big update.

i would like to see CPS3 and PGM on the MiSTer, but those cores seem so far away. CPS3 is already put on the back burner, and PGM isnt even started. realistically, those wouldnt see the light of day for a good 2+ years. but again, with Groovy_MiSTer the lines are blurred and we technically do have any arcade core on the MiSTer. albeit not in FPGA, but playable through the MiSTer's video output and OSD on your cab/monitor, yes

thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

There is a ton more that can be done. Apple IIgs, color Mac, 3DO, ultimate super compatible PC core with a new CPU design and 3DFX card (my personal pipe dream), tons of arcade games (including Star Wars, and 480i/60 support for vector games so they will work on 15KHz CRT's). Groovy MiSTer is really great, but native is still better. 480i support in the MiSTer scaler is also a glaring omission currently in my opinion.

Atohmdiy

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

PikWik wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:46 pm

with the advent of Groovy_MiSTer and the progress thats been made for better compression, more cores working in Retroarch, inputs working from MiSTer controllers, and the fact that it bypasses what a computer GPU driver would have to buffer (so we get lower input lag compared to the machine playing MAME), the MiSTer has already reached what i would call its last big update.

i would like to see CPS3 and PGM on the MiSTer, but those cores seem so far away. CPS3 is already put on the back burner, and PGM isnt even started. realistically, those wouldnt see the light of day for a good 2+ years. but again, with Groovy_MiSTer the lines are blurred and we technically do have any arcade core on the MiSTer. albeit not in FPGA, but playable through the MiSTer's video output and OSD on your cab/monitor, yes

It was a mistake for Jotego to offer a choice between PGM and CPS3. Pretty sure the PGM is lot more doable than the CPS3 that is realistically a thing to do only when other big "things" are done. In that regards there still a lot of great arcade system to do without hitting a wall of complexity like the CPS3. Consoles and PC are different as we reached the full potential already. Jaguar and 3DO are minor compare to Saturn or PSX.

A PGM core is suppose to be worked on for the MARS, same for a few other interesting things like SNK Beast Busters. They stated their model will stay open source, so it's likely these MARS core that can be ported to Mister will be eventually, providing the mister is capable of.

Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

More historical computers would still be very nice.. like the actual PDP11, early IBM mainframe, VAX, heck.. Burroughs or Data General big iron would fit easily and be interesting to run ALGOL60 on. But I guess that's just me being interested in computing and conservation rather than only playing video games.

Syntax Error

Unread post by Syntax Error »

Guess I'm still on

Atari Jaguar

Atari Falcon 030 (+evt the never released

Roadblasters (working, didnt work for me)

Commander x16

ill leave pentium 1, pentium mmx and pentium 3 (800mhz in my case) to the replay 3 people who can slug it out with each other over dx9 games

virtuali

Unread post by virtuali »

I would like to have some improvements to AO486 core, if this is even possible. I understand it's a very complex issue, but it would be nice to get improvements, since it's clearly the largest software library of all.

werpu

Unread post by werpu »

Well getting a more accurate Vectrex display output probably would be a high on my list. The current way the vectors are displayed simply is not accurate at all. You would need a blur filter on top of the lines with brighter connection points and some sort of pulse frequency.
Besides the higher resolution everything else could be done by post processing filters.

Vic20-Ian

Unread post by Vic20-Ian »

I recently got back into MiSTer, I am amazed at what it can do now, Thank you to all the developers.

I would love to see:

Star Force by Tekhan - great tune and shooting fun

Astro Blaster - great multi stage variable shooting fun, warp mode, refuelling, secret bonuses

Space Firebird - great shooter, loved the curved track and warp

Implementation of more backgrounds like Asteroids and bezels

Some more really old ones like EDSAC and PDP 1

Baby, LEO and BOMBE or Colossus from the National Computer Museum and an oddball one - E.R.N.I.E. the Premium Bond machine

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

after 11 pages of wishes, I wonder how many wishes were granted..

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

Vic20-Ian wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:25 pm

Cray 1!

There's a Verilog implementation for a Xilinx Spartan-3E 1600:
https://www.chrisfenton.com/homebrew-cray-1a/

Would it fit in the DE10-Nano?

bazza_12 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:19 am

A few were, indeed.
viewtopic.php?p=20398#p20398 (Memotech MTX, Sord M5, N64, Dragon 32, System 16)
viewtopic.php?p=20402#p20402 (TMNT Arcade, maybe more, I'm not very up-to-date with arcades)
viewtopic.php?p=20417#p20417 (Golden Axe, I'm not sure about Elevator Action)
viewtopic.php?p=20420#p20420 (C128)
viewtopic.php?p=20421#p20421 (Enterprise)
viewtopic.php?p=20423#p20423 (Atari System 1)
viewtopic.php?p=20541#p20541 (UK101, C128)
viewtopic.php?p=20545#p20545 (32X, Saturn, PSX)
viewtopic.php?p=20559#p20559 (Sord M5, N64)
I stop here.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

pgimeno wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:55 pm
bazza_12 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:19 am

A few were, indeed.
viewtopic.php?p=20398#p20398 (Memotech MTX, Sord M5, N64, Dragon 32, System 16)
viewtopic.php?p=20402#p20402 (TMNT Arcade, maybe more, I'm not very up-to-date with arcades)
viewtopic.php?p=20417#p20417 (Golden Axe, I'm not sure about Elevator Action)
viewtopic.php?p=20420#p20420 (C128)
viewtopic.php?p=20421#p20421 (Enterprise)
viewtopic.php?p=20423#p20423 (Atari System 1)
viewtopic.php?p=20541#p20541 (UK101, C128)
viewtopic.php?p=20545#p20545 (32X, Saturn, PSX)
viewtopic.php?p=20559#p20559 (Sord M5, N64)
I stop here.

wow that's amazing.. still no sign of the WOPR though.. how can i play global thermonuclear war? :lol:

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

Vic20-Ian wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:25 pm

I recently got back into MiSTer, I am amazed at what it can do now, Thank you to all the developers.

I would love to see:

Star Force by Tekhan - great tune and shooting fun

Astro Blaster - great multi stage variable shooting fun, warp mode, refuelling, secret bonuses

Space Firebird - great shooter, loved the curved track and warp

Implementation of more backgrounds like Asteroids and bezels

Baby, LEO and BOMBE or Colossus from the National Computer Museum and an oddball one - E.R.N.I.E. the Premium Bond machine

I´d love to see a Star Force core too. It´s a great and extremely addictive shoot´em up.