Amiga 16-bit AHI audio support

limi
Top Contributor

Amiga 16-bit AHI audio support

Unread post by limi »

Now that we have RTG support available in MiSTer, the next missing piece of the classic “upgraded” Amiga in addition to the ability to use graphics cards would be… sound card support.

For those of you who don’t know, Amiga had support for 16-bit audio interfaces like Delfina, Prelude, Toccata, etc. It was the “retargetable audio” interface for the Amiga, where the hardware was abstracted away, and allowed AmigaOS to address a set of Amiga sound cards. It was later included in official AmigaOS releases.

The FPGAArcade Replay board seems to supports it.

Does anyone know how complicated it would be to support this with an Amiga AHI driver to address the DE-10 Nano audio output?

Developer package can be found here.

limi
Top Contributor

Re: Amiga 16-bit AHI audio support

Unread post by limi »

I guess it’s time to bump this; would this be hard to port the FPGAArcade approach to MiSTer’s audio output to get 16-bit audio from the Amiga core? It’s one of the things I miss from my original Amiga 4000 setup:

https://github.com/FPGAArcade/amiga_cod ... ter/xaudio

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I have a Delfina card in my 4000 as well, support for AHI would be great. Even without optional audio hardware, AHI was able to proved 14-bit audio with the on-board Amiga audio chip (Paula).

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

woah I wasn't even aware the amiga supported additional sound cards.. that's mind blowing in itself..

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Ranzbak

Unread post by Ranzbak »

Hi,

I am working on my own Minimig project, and implemented a partial Toccata sound card in SystemVerilog.
The card only does playback of audio, since recording doesn't make much sense in my project.
Given that it works in my Minimig project, it might be of interest for the Mister project as well.

https://github.com/ranzbak/fpga-toccata

I don't own a Mister myself, so I can't verify if the code works without modification on an Intel FPGA, changes should be trivial though.

hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Ranzbak wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:25 pm

Hi,

I am working on my own Minimig project, and implemented a partial Toccata sound card in SystemVerilog.
The card only does playback of audio, since recording doesn't make much sense in my project.
Given that it works in my Minimig project, it might be of interest for the Mister project as well.

https://github.com/ranzbak/fpga-toccata

I don't own a Mister myself, so I can't verify if the code works without modification on an Intel FPGA, changes should be trivial though.

Thanks for sharing. Its way beyond me, but hopefuly someone might pick this up, port it over and implement it in MiSTer :)

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for embarking on this, the last “missing piece” of the late-stage Amiga owner setup (Amiga 4000 + RTG + AHI) 😄

Hopefully we can get it added to MiSTer.

EDIT: Filed a ticket: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Minimig ... issues/171

kolla

Unread post by kolla »

Hohum - no MiSTer just has to have it too! :)

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... e7#p458089

Higgy

Unread post by Higgy »

You beat me @kolla :) , I was going to say thanks to @Ranzbak as this has now been added to the MiST MiniMig Core.

Ranzbak

Unread post by Ranzbak »

Thank you all as well, it feels good to see the module in other projects as well :-)

robinsonb5

Unread post by robinsonb5 »

I'm making some progress porting this to MiSTer. @Ranzbak, I have some more testing to do, but I'll PM you here in the near future with some queries, if that's OK, since I remember we had some difficulty with spam filters swallowing our emails!

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Fantastic! I’m also happy to help test, especially since I am familiar with AHI/Toccata from owning an Amiga with it back in the day, and also because I want to add AHI support to AmigaVision. Just send me a direct message here (or on Twitter) if you want more testers.

robinsonb5

Unread post by robinsonb5 »

limi wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:57 pm

Fantastic! I’m also happy to help test, especially since I am familiar with AHI/Toccata from owning an Amiga with it back in the day, and also because I want to add AHI support to AmigaVision. Just send me a direct message here (or on Twitter) if you want more testers.

That's great - I've just attached a test RBF to the issue you opened on github. I don't have any real experience of Toccata or AHI, so I've just been testing with OctaMED Soundstudio so far.

On MiST there's an odd interaction between this and RTG screens - operations like opening windows and flipping screens cause the audio to stop dead - but it doesn't happen when using AGA modes. I don't have RTG set up on MiSTer yet, so it'd be useful to know if the same thing happens there.

CartoonDonkey

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

It would be very cool to see 68060 cpu implementation in this core. Processing of 16 bit audio would be really helped by it, among other things.

Armakuni

Unread post by Armakuni »

CartoonDonkey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:57 am

It would be very cool to see 68060 cpu implementation in this core. Processing of 16 bit audio would be really helped by it, among other things.

The core is limited by the TG68K 020 module but is the only open source option available.