Colecovision Keypad Keys?

kamshaft

Colecovision Keypad Keys?

Unread post by kamshaft »

I've looked through the instructions, no mention on how to get keys (keypad simulation) working. I've got a keyboard hooked up, that doesn't seem to work. Ideas?
---
Owner of XboxAddict.com and ColecovisionAddict.com
---
Brettster

Re: Colecovision Keypad Keys?

Unread post by Brettster »

when setting the controller it prompts you to push a button for all the keypad and directions
my controller didn't have enough for all of them so I just mapped 1,2 and 0 * and # to other buttons and was able to play all the games I wanted to try
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
kamshaft

Brettster wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:26 pm when setting the controller it prompts you to push a button for all the keypad and directions
my controller didn't have enough for all of them so I just mapped 1,2 and 0 * and # to other buttons and was able to play all the games I wanted to try
Not sure if I follow you. When I go to "Define Joystick buttons", I don't get any keypad definition options anywhere. :(

Could it be under "Remap keyboard" ?
---
---
kamshaft

I just found where it was. in the core options itself, not the main menu of MiSTer.
I was able to remap things, THANK YOU!

What would be nice if we could map the number pad to the keyboard! and not the joystick.
---
---
Brettster

Unread post by Brettster »

Glad you sorted it, each core will use the basic layout from the main menu but you can set up each core specifically from the core menu on page 2
or at least the majority of the cores anyway
Enjoy
Arcade, Video Game and Tech Junkie
kamshaft

What would be cool if one of the programmers could add keyboard support to the core.
---
---
eightbit

Unread post by eightbit »

kamshaft wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:07 pm What would be nice if we could map the number pad to the keyboard! and not the joystick.
This exactly. Is there any reason why it cannot be implemented to allow the numpad keys of a keyboard to be mapped to this and other systems that used the number touchpad on controllers? Even with the best of controllers it is not possible to have enough buttons to map 0-9 and #/*. Allowing a keyboard to map these would make sense.
lnielsen

Unread post by lnielsen »

I am a big Intellivision fan and currently have two of the original units with hardwired controllers. I am going to rewire two of the controllers to DB9 connectors and then use a pair of these converters (https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/i ... /index.php) to convert them internally to USB. Not sure if there is a better solution out there. I don't know if this is something that the LL Cool Joy board will support.
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Short of getting a Jaguar (or similar) USB adapter or SNAC/LLAPI connection, that seems like the only real option. But I'm guessing it wouldn't be trivial to have two separate input devices acting as a single logical input. Right now MiSTer uses a 1:1 devices:controllers map, and whatever controller gets its button pushed first is mapped to P1, and whatever device is hit second maps to P2. With a change like this, it could get really messy with MiSTer not knowing which input device is to be used for P1 d-pad and action buttons, which input device goes to P1 numpad, and nevermind the fact that you can have two players and therefore four input devices to try to line up. Realistically, it wouldn't be plausible for it to auto-map inputs:controllers:players and it would have to be manually managed every time through a menu or prompt of some sort (e.g., Press a button on P1A, press a button on P1B [or press a button on P1A to only use one input device], then repeat for P2 inputs.)

Which begs the question. Has anyone used a Jaguar USB adapter with MiSTer? Seems like the ideal controller for things like Colecovision. I also wouldn't be surprised if someone has made an Arduino-based controller with the correct inputs for this.
eightbit

I have a real Jaguar and a few controllers. I had no idea a USB to Jag controller adapter existed to be honest. A bit pricey, but when I have the funds I will certainly test this. Good idea!
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

Until reading this thread I forgot I had a Jag USB adaptor. I tested my Jag controller and the USB adaptor with the Coleco core and all the keys mapped just fine.
This is the JAG USB adapter I have.
http://2600-daptor.com/Jaguar-daptor.htm
Jaguar-daptor.jpg
Jaguar-daptor.jpg (29.68 KiB) Viewed 20740 times
eightbit

NML32 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:21 am Until reading this thread I forgot I had a Jag USB adaptor. I tested my Jag controller and the USB adaptor with the Coleco core and all the keys mapped just fine.
Jaguar-daptor.jpg
Excellent news. I will order an adapter as soon as I can! Thank you.
kamshaft

NML32 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:21 am Until reading this thread I forgot I had a Jag USB adaptor. I tested my Jag controller and the USB adaptor with the Coleco core and all the keys mapped just fine.
Jaguar-daptor.jpg
Do you have a Colecovision controller to test with? I'm assuming it will work since the Jag controller worked. Because I don't own a Jaguar controller, not the console. :shock:

I wonder if this one would work? http://2600-daptor.com/Vision-daptor.htm
---
---
eightbit

That's interesting, I wonder if it would work as well. However, coming from the Colecovision era (I grew up with this console, Atari's etc) I will say that the controller is not really so great. I think the Jaguar controller will be perfect for this as it is much more comfortable and it provides the keypad. And, Jag controllers are super easy to obtain for cheap nowadays....lots of residual stock out there. I ordered the Jag-daptor after NML32's confirmation that it worked. Thanks for that!
kamshaft

eightbit wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:36 pm That's interesting, I wonder if it would work as well. However, coming from the Colecovision era (I grew up with this console, Atari's etc) I will say that the controller is not really so great. I think the Jaguar controller will be perfect for this as it is much more comfortable and it provides the keypad. And, Jag controllers are super easy to obtain for cheap nowadays....lots of residual stock out there. I ordered the Jag-daptor after NML32's confirmation that it worked. Thanks for that!
Ya, the Colecovision's controller is bad. I may need to invest in a Jag controller!
---
---
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

kamshaft wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:23 pm
Jaguar-daptor.jpg
Do you have a Colecovision controller to test with? I'm assuming it will work since the Jag controller worked. Because I don't own a Jaguar controller, not the console. :shock:

Yes, I have the Vison daptor and it worked with my Coleco controller on the MiSTer.
The 2600 D9 supports the Coleco and many more controllers. I also tested it with the Coleco, Atari Joystick, and Intellivision controller on the MiSTer. Worked great.
http://2600-daptor.com/
kamshaft

NML32 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:08 pm
Jaguar-daptor.jpg

Yes, I have the Vison daptor and it worked with my Coleco controller on the MiSTer.
The 2600 D9 supports the Coleco and many more controllers. I also tested it with the Coleco, Atari Joystick, and Intellivision controller on the MiSTer. Worked great.
If you have the following, a Intellivision 2 (white ones) controller with the vision and the Intellivision core.
---
---
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

kamshaft wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:11 pm

If you have the following, a Intellivision 2 (white ones) controller with the vision and the Intellivision core.
I don't have the intellivision 2 controllers. Sorry, I need to clarify I have the Intellivision FB controllers.
Sorry, I forgot I was using the Intellivision FB controllers. I did the test with real Colecovision controllers.
kamshaft

NML32 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:19 pm
kamshaft wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:11 pm
I don't have the intellivision 2 controllers. Sorry, I need to clarify I have the Intellivision FB controllers.
Sorry, I forgot I was using the Intellivision FB controllers. I did the test with real Colecovision controllers.
Looks like the one to get is the 2600-daptor D9, seems to be the most compatible.
http://2600-daptor.com/2600-daptor%20D9.htm
---
---
kamshaft

Would be nice to add keyboard support for this core.
---
---
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

I recently purchased two Super Famicom NTT Datapads and a SNES Raphnet adapter V2: https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/s ... /index.php.

IMO this is the very best controller option for MiSTer. Every core can be played with it and it works flawlessly. I highly recommend this over the Jaguar controller option. Super Famicom NTT datapads are expensive, but I got two on eBay.
jlancaster86

Unread post by jlancaster86 »

I've long wondered: would it possible to use an Xbox controller with a chatpad attached? And would the chatpad be seen as additional buttons on the controller, or just as a regular keyboard?
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Bits n Stuff wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:19 pm
KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:46 am I recently purchased two Super Famicom NTT Datapads and a SNES Raphnet adapter V2: https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/s ... /index.php.

IMO this is the very best controller option for MiSTer. Every core can be played with it and it works flawlessly. I highly recommend this over the Jaguar controller option. Super Famicom NTT datapads are expensive, but I got two on eBay.
I have an NTT Datapad and that Raphnet adapter and I've never even tried it on MiSTer. I'll have to try them, if it works well then it's an obvious fit for the Colecovision.
Yeah I can't recommend this combo enough. I heard about it from Smokemonster's ColecoVision video. All 23 buttons are mappable. It works perfectly for all console cores up to the 5th generation (PS1, N64), but those cores aren't even available yet. It's a wide grip, but for someone like me with large hands it feels perfect. I like to use the top right button as the home/guide button and map everything else as a standard SNES controller with the number pad for use with the Atari 5200, Odyssey 2, ColecoVision and Astrocade core. I've even mapped the Power Pad for the NES core to this controller using the keys.

It's a great futureproof controller too because the Intellivision, Arcadia 2001, and Jaguar cores are all in development and all use the same keypad.
gordonfish

Unread post by gordonfish »

Sigismond0 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:43 pmBut I'm guessing it wouldn't be trivial to have two separate input devices acting as a single logical input. Right now MiSTer uses a 1:1 devices:controllers map, and whatever controller gets its button pushed first is mapped to P1, and whatever device is hit second maps to P2. With a change like this, it could get really messy with MiSTer not knowing which input device is to be used for P1 d-pad and action buttons, which input device goes to P1 numpad, and nevermind the fact that you can have two players and therefore four input devices to try to line up.
Could this be done a core-specific basis, in a similar way to how AO486 reads both keyboard and joy pad at the same time? I use a keyboard, mouse, and one of my game controllers just fine there. I believe the same is also true of many of the other computer cores that originally had joysticks too. So what would be preventing something similar being implemented in the CV core for accepting input of the numpad and/or number-row of a keyboard?

kamshaft wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:40 pmYa, the Colecovision's controller is bad. I may need to invest in a Jag controller!
The stock CV controllers weren't too good, though the Super Action controllers were nice (and possibly one of the most unique one I've ever seen with their fencing-foil grip.) I still have one that I've used with a vision-dapter on my computer for many years (that I plan to try with my MiSTer.) I also remember it working well on a real CV (last time I used it with mine it felt nice there too.)
retrodroid

Unread post by retrodroid »

I was super keen to play all the old Colecovision games only to discover that it's not possible without a specific controller.

Another vote for allowing the keyboard to be used enter the numerals in this core since so few games actually require them for gameplay.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

This works. Go into the controller map and use keys on the keyboard to map all the keys.
mef

Unread post by mef »

Worked great?? ! I'm jealous! I purchased the 2600 D9 adaptor and when I am in the Colecovision core and go to map the original Colecovision joystick, it does not recognize either the second fire button or the keypad. Really not sure what else I could be doing. (?)
staticfade2023

Unread post by staticfade2023 »

I am hoping someone can help. I have purchased both the 2600-daptor D9 adapter and the iCode Pro Duo Plus Pro. Both in hopes of using the colecovision original controller with keypad with the Mister Coleco core. I have within the core mapped the controller successfully going through up down left right and all the numbers on the keypad with both adapters. So I am thinking yes, it works. But once I start any game within the Colecovision core nothing works. I have followed instructions that came with the 2600-daptor and I watched the YouTube video from iCode (including setting the mode in the iCode device to Coleco and turning off paddles) but none of them yield the results that I am hoping for. Has anyone got either one of these adpators to work with the Coleco core in Mister and if so, what exactly did you do. Thanks in advance.

trz34

Unread post by trz34 »

Hello,

Can anyone confirm if the 2600-daptor D9 will allow the use of Flashback Colecovision controllers with the Coelco core on the Mister? I see some said the Intellvision Flashback controllers work which is great but cant find any confimrations about the Coleco Flashback controllers. Has anyone tried/tested this by chance?