Digital IO Optical Out Not Working

Fuzzball

Digital IO Optical Out Not Working

Unread post by Fuzzball »

I'm getting no sound from the optical out on the Digital IO board. Is there a setting I need to enable?
Nat

Re: Digital IO Optical Out Not Working

Unread post by Nat »

You should not need to adjust any settings, my guess is you have not flipped SW3 on your DE10-Nano board, if the red LED behind the headphone jack is not illuminating you need to flip SW3, see here for a guide:

MiSTer FPGA Digital IO Installation Guide
MiSTer FPGA Add-On Boards : UK based, low cost worldwide shipping.
https://MiSTerFPGA.co.uk/
Fuzzball

Switch is already flipped. The jack is illuminating. There is just no sound. Same cable to same receiver works fine in another device so really not sure.
jdsilva

Unread post by jdsilva »

Where did you get the board? Sounds like it might have an led that's not suitable for optical audio installed.
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

Fuzzball wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:24 pm Switch is already flipped. The jack is illuminating. There is just no sound. Same cable to same receiver works fine in another device so really not sure.
Try with another cable if you have the opportunity. That fixed my no sound problem several days ago.
Mellified

Unread post by Mellified »

Also make sure 96KHz audio is disabled in the MiSTer INI. That may not work with your receiving device.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I thought 96khz only pertained to HDMI audio?
Fuzzball

Mellified wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:01 am Also make sure 96KHz audio is disabled in the MiSTer INI. That may not work with your receiving device.
That didn't make any difference unfortunately. It is being plugged into an Avantree Oasis Plus that works with all my other devices via optical. https://avantree.com/uk/oasis-plus-blue ... re=default

I have just read this though "For TV optical output - set audio format to PCM. Dolby / DTS are not supported.". What audio format does the Digital IO board use for optical?
bellwood420
Core Developer

Unread post by bellwood420 »

Audio format is PCM. So it does not matter.

By the way, what core are you using?
Is the issue present in every cores?

Copy protection bit was unintentionally asserted until recently.
It prevented some device from capturing optical audio signal.

@S0urceror fixed framework in January but not all the cores are updated to the fixed framework.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1803
MrFujisawa

Unread post by MrFujisawa »

Are you using a s/pdif to mini s/pdif adapter? I couldn't get any sound from mine using an adapter. Turns out the weight of adapter + cable was making it so the signal wasnt making it through. I bought an actual mini s/pdif to s/pdif cable and the sound started working.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

You can also try the optical out on some other units that have optical input tv/recievers/amps/etc, maybe take the mister to a friend/family and try with something they have with optical input.
Just in case it is the mister/your Oasis that does not play well together.
And i´m not really sure why but the oasis does not give me particularly good vibes, probably because bluetooth that never works good for me on anything.
Fuzzball

Got a new cable and now it works. Not sure why the other cable works with other devices though.

The Oasis has always worked really well for me. I am "anti cables" these days. Try to go as wireless as possible. Probably why all the cables currently connected into the Mister FPGA is giving me anxiety :D
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Ooooh!
You have been put on my arch nemesis list :twisted:

I´m "Anti wireless" have had sooooooo bad experience with almost everything wireless.
Or maybe i´m sending out jamming signals :|
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Mellified wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:01 am Also make sure 96KHz audio is disabled in the MiSTer INI. That may not work with your receiving device.
FoxbatStargazer wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:28 am I thought 96khz only pertained to HDMI audio?
Thanks for suggesting. This was in fact the problem when I went to use some new 2.0 speakers via optical tonight. I had to set hdmi_audio_96k=0 to get audio coming out (and indeed, the speakers' docs say they are only compatible with 44.1khz and 48khz signals). This was with a PVM CRT via analog i/o board RGB, no HDMI device around.
she/her
Nbksilent

Unread post by Nbksilent »

This fixed it for me, thanks!