Atari ST HDD games image (save-states possible)

akeley
Top Contributor

Atari ST HDD games image (save-states possible)

Unread post by akeley »

I just got an SD-HDD adapter for my 1040STFM, was looking for some HDD games for it and have stumbled upon this big all-in-one image, link in this thread. Turns out it works on MiSTer too, you just have to rename the ".img" extension to ".vhd".

It was made by an ST HDD guru, who has spent many years adapting these games and adding some extras, such as game art, trainers, and ability to make save states/snapshots (in some games at least). The latter is done either straight from the game or by running a special program from TOS. Clever stuff.

This image was specially adapted for TOS 1.00-1.02 (works on later ones though), but he's making another one which doesn't have their limitations and probably better compatibility. This one will require his special paid-for TOS version though (iTOS).
RascalUK

Re: Atari ST HDD games image (save-states possible)

Unread post by RascalUK »

Was it an ultrasatan you got? I'm a bit out of the loop these days.

The two ST games I really wanna play from my childhood aren't on it unfortunately. Head Coach (can't play on the MiSTer from floppy either as they are .STX files and Pirates of the barbary Coast. Many happy hours spend on those too.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Nah, Satan is a bit pricey and Atari ST is not really my jam (I'm an Amiga man). But I saw a cheaper (32Euro) gadget which does the same thing and is apparently nearly as fast, so I did get it: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/31621 ... /#comments

It'd be nice if MiSTer could handle .stx, perhaps one day... Though maybe it's not possible at all, I don't think they work on Goteks either.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

That's correct, stx isn't supported in Gotek drives.

As far as I understand it would need a cycle exact simulation on MiSTer for stx support and Mistery is is not cycle exact (even if it runs everything perfect including demos, so cycle accuracy would only help with stx and I don't think it's that attractive to rebuilt a core just to support one additional floppy image format).
RascalUK

Unread post by RascalUK »

I think you can however use the HxC floppy emulator to convert .stx to HFE which will run on a Gotek. There are plenty of demos and games that were dumped to .stx, including, annoying the two I want :)

Table 2 on this link
https://hxc2001.com/docs/gotek-floppy-e ... mages.html
movisman

Unread post by movisman »

akeley wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:27 pm I just got an SD-HDD adapter for my 1040STFM, was looking for some HDD games for it and have stumbled upon this big all-in-one image, link in this thread. Turns out it works on MiSTer too, you just have to rename the ".img" extension to ".vhd".

It was made by an ST HDD guru, who has spent many years adapting these games and adding some extras, such as game art, trainers, and ability to make save states/snapshots (in some games at least). The latter is done either straight from the game or by running a special program from TOS. Clever stuff.

This image was specially adapted for TOS 1.00-1.02 (works on later ones though), but he's making another one which doesn't have their limitations and probably better compatibility. This one will require his special paid-for TOS version though (iTOS).
I was looking to try an ST image out (and Archimedes if I can find one!), but sadly it seems the link to download is no longer working. He must have taken it down fairly recently! Does anyone have it? Maybe it was removed in favour of the newer version he is working on, which relies on using the paid for iTOS version.

Thanks a lot!
harryd91

Unread post by harryd91 »

movisman wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:13 pm
akeley wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:27 pm I just got an SD-HDD adapter for my 1040STFM, was looking for some HDD games for it and have stumbled upon this big all-in-one image, link in this thread. Turns out it works on MiSTer too, you just have to rename the ".img" extension to ".vhd".

I was looking to try an ST image out (and Archimedes if I can find one!), but sadly it seems the link to download is no longer working. He must have taken it down fairly recently! Does anyone have it? Maybe it was removed in favour of the newer version he is working on, which relies on using the paid for iTOS version.

Thanks a lot!
I would also like this if anybody does have a copy, thanks!
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I've asked the creator if it's okay to share this image again, but the gist of his rather long-winded reply was a "negative". Long story short, he's a bit of a perfectionist and has removed these links while he's working on the new improved version(s) (which might or might not be the ones requiring the paid TOS, not sure). If you're really interested you can enquire about it in these AtariAge threads. All these games are also available on his site as individual downloads.

An available alternative is the "Klaz" image, search archive.org for "htgdb packs".
harryd91

Unread post by harryd91 »

akeley wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:57 pm I've asked the creator if it's okay to share this image again, but the gist of his rather long-winded reply was a "negative". Long story short, he's a bit of a perfectionist and has removed these links while he's working on the new improved version(s) (which might or might not be the ones requiring the paid TOS, not sure). If you're really interested you can enquire about it in these AtariAge threads. All these games are also available on his site as individual downloads.

An available alternative is the "Klaz" image, search archive.org for "htgdb packs".
Ah well, thanks for trying - I wasn't actually aware of the htgdb packs though and that will probably do me just fine!
movisman

Unread post by movisman »

akeley wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:57 pm I've asked the creator if it's okay to share this image again, but the gist of his rather long-winded reply was a "negative". Long story short, he's a bit of a perfectionist and has removed these links while he's working on the new improved version(s) (which might or might not be the ones requiring the paid TOS, not sure). If you're really interested you can enquire about it in these AtariAge threads. All these games are also available on his site as individual downloads.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I actually signed up for the Atari Age forums to ask the creator if the link might be restored, but it took ages for my account to be approved and it's only just been done as of last night. I will take another look at the thread and enquire on there possibly.

I do have the htgdb packs already but haven't explored them in full yet. When I get round to setting up the ST i'll give the one provided in this pack a shot.

Thanks!
caver99

Unread post by caver99 »

does any one have the 1000GamesT02.zip file as its no longer available from the link
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

The guy started charging money for these images and that's why the links have disappeared. I think individual games are still available for downolad, at least some of them
sid

Unread post by sid »

I ve sent you a PM
Bikerbob

Unread post by Bikerbob »

10 euro and you get it all in a complete organized pkg that you can use with the MiSTER -- seems like a hell of deal to me. Lunch costs me $10 and this guy no only converted a very large portion of them, but made the complete organized pkg for people to enjoy.

I have supported all his work and will continue to do so, yes, he is a bit eccentric but .. in small ways arnt we all.

James
cathrynmataga

Unread post by cathrynmataga »

I paid him also. For me worth it, if only so I don't have to sit through all the pirate title screens which I don't like.
mahen

Unread post by mahen »

HI ! Sorry for being trivial -- but which version of his package is more appropriate for the MiSTer / more complete, and how am I supposed to get in touch with him ? PM via the atariage forum I guess ?
hipsofjw

Unread post by hipsofjw »

mahen wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:03 am HI ! Sorry for being trivial -- but which version of his package is more appropriate for the MiSTer / more complete, and how am I supposed to get in touch with him ? PM via the atariage forum I guess ?
Anyone have experience getting a ST package from him for MiSTer? His website isn't exactly clear how one goes about buying one from him.
jfceklosky

Unread post by jfceklosky »

Yes, I ordered a set from him. Just email him directly. I paid using Paypal. It is a small price to pay for his work on organizing these.
Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Resurrection!

I'm trying to buy the image, but he's offering three (I think) versions; which one would work better with MiSTer?

Thanks!

Xenon

Unread post by Xenon »

Maybe don’t pay people for illegally selling copyrighted software?

jfceklosky

Unread post by jfceklosky »

What are the three being offered?

Xenon

Unread post by Xenon »

If you search archive.org for 1000GamesT02, you will probably find it (among other Atari ST hard drive images)

Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Xenon wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:59 pm

If you search archive.org for 1000GamesT02, you will probably find it (among other Atari ST hard drive images)

You can see the details here: https://atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd.php

He told me that the version for normal TOS works fine with MiSTer in STe mode...

Krakout

Unread post by Krakout »

Xenon wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:59 pm

Even though he's now up to many more games so it's of interest to get the newest image (and he includes the driver/partitioner which proved really useful to me when I was working with CosmosEX),I did search and found nothing. Weird, maybe I should do it from my laptop instead of my phone...

[EDIT] Yeah, from the laptop it was much easier to go to the Software section...