Taito Egret II Mini Rollerball/Spinner Controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
neogeo81

Re: Taito Egret II Mini Rollerball/Spinner Controller

Unread post by neogeo81 »

DenizB wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:20 pm
  • Push any button for the first ("right"?) direction
  • Then skip all the other directions (left/up/down)

Why not skip the first button (right) also?

Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

neogeo81 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:48 am

Not possible, skip is not available until you have first pressed a button or direction on the controller (in order for the system to detect the vid/pid).

neogeo81

Lightwave wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:55 am

Not possible, skip is not available until you have first pressed a button or direction on the controller (in order for the system to detect the vid/pid).

Oh ok yes in the main osd yes. But that first press is only for the system to identify which controller you want, it does set any button to any dpad direction.

neogeo81

btw is there a list of all the games you can use the roller and spinner?

i can seem to get the rollerball working? is there also settings i need to set before it works?

Lightwave

neogeo81 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:03 pm

Oh ok yes in the main osd yes. But that first press is only for the system to identify which controller you want, it does set any button to any dpad direction.

Unfortunately it does map whatever button you initially push, as you can't map that button subsequently during the same button mapping process (it treats it as already mapped and ignores it).

Lightwave

neogeo81 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:04 pm

i can seem to get the rollerball working? is there also settings i need to set before it works?

If you have enabled the spinner settings for this controller in mister.ini, it will no longer be seen as a mouse so the trackball will not work.

I add a section in mister.ini per core/arcade game that I wish to set to spinner, and leave the main config as-is so that the trackball works by default.

The spinner works really well with Arkanoid and Puzz Loop 2. Also paddle games in the 7800/2600 core.

The main trackball game is Centipede, although even at lowest throttle and 400% speed in the core, the movement is still too slow. (There is a Centipede core with 800% option posted in this thread that is just about fast enough to be comfortable)

neogeo81

Lightwave wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:49 am
neogeo81 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:04 pm

If you have enabled the spinner settings for this controller in mister.ini, it will no longer be seen as a mouse so the trackball will not work.

I add a section in mister.ini per core/arcade game that I wish to set to spinner, and leave the main config as-is so that the trackball works by default.

The spinner works really well with Arkanoid and Puzz Loop 2. Also paddle games in the 7800/2600 core.

The main trackball game is Centipede, although even at lowest throttle and 400% speed in the core, the movement is still too slow. (There is a Centipede core with 800% option posted in this thread that is just about fast enough to be comfortable)

I know, i did all the ini settings only for the cores. I noticed that also the computer cores work with the trackball as a mouse but the movement is also absolutely minimal and slow.

neogeo81

Lightwave wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:34 am

Unfortunately it does map whatever button you initially push, as you can't map that button subsequently during the same button mapping process (it treats it as already mapped and ignores it).

no it does not. that is only the d-pad test.
later in the process you get the graphic that looks like a controller and there you push the right dpad again and it maps that.

here you start:

Mister Button Mapping 1.png
Mister Button Mapping 1.png (87.31 KiB) Viewed 4131 times

here you test and get the controller ID (can't be skipped but remapped later)

Mister Button Mapping 2.png
Mister Button Mapping 2.png (50.74 KiB) Viewed 4131 times

here you map the right direction again (can be skipped with space key or user button on the mister)

Mister Button Mapping 3.png
Mister Button Mapping 3.png (70.46 KiB) Viewed 4131 times
Lightwave

neogeo81 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:17 am

later in the process you get the graphic that looks like a controller and there you push the right dpad again and it maps that.

here you start:

here you map the right direction again (can be skipped with space key or user button on the mister)

I was actually referring to mapping within a core, not MiSTer main.

The very first command (usually right) can't be skipped, so you need to press one of the five buttons on the controller to proceed.
Once you have done that, further commands (directions, etc.) can be skipped, but the button that was pressed initially can't be assigned to anything else. So you end up losing 1 out of 5 buttons every time to "right", which is generally useless for spinner/trackball games.

If you know of a way around this, that would be great.

12characters

Unread post by 12characters »

Lightwave wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:01 pm

The very first command (usually right) can't be skipped, so you need to press one of the five buttons on the controller to proceed.
Once you have done that, further commands (directions, etc.) can be skipped, but the button that was pressed initially can't be assigned to anything else. So you end up losing 1 out of 5 buttons every time to "right", which is generally useless for spinner/trackball games.

I like quoting myself:

12characters wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:56 pm
12characters wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:09 pm

Does one need to keep one of the 5 buttons mapped to "Right" or could one erase the mapping as lamarax seems to suggest?

After identifying the device by assigning Right, you press F12 instead of assigning Left. Then you get back to start and can undefine Right. Obviously :roll:

neogeo81

Lightwave wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:01 pm
neogeo81 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:17 am

here you start:

Nope. Within the core you can skip every button you want, even the first to the right. Just press the menu button you assigned in the main OSD to skip any prompt. see video attached.

Please check on your own mister what you claim before you answer here again. Thanks

Attachments
PXL_20230313_121520864_2_1.mp4
(9.64 MiB) Downloaded 162 times
12characters

neogeo81 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:23 pm

Nope. Within the core you can skip every button you want, even the first to the right. Just press the menu button you assigned in the main OSD to skip any prompt. see video attached.

Please check on your own mister what you claim before you answer here again. Thanks

Thanks. This is useful information.

I do not think it is necessary to be so harsh to Lightwave. The input configuration in MiSTer is rather opaque. In the menu, you are at first only informed of two options: Cancel or Finish. Apparently, you can anyhow Skip/Undefine by pressing the menu button (assuming that you have previously assigned a button or button combo on the same device to Menu).

By any chance, do you have a better solution to this problem?

12characters wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:47 pm

I wanted to use the rollerball as a mouse in the SNES core. The rollerball itself works out of the box if mouse input is enabled in the core menu. The issue is mapping the mouse buttons. I found a workaround by using the mouse emulation feature:

• In the main menu, go to define joystick buttons

• Press one of the small buttons as Right in the DPAD test

• When reaching Mouse Move Right, press again one of the small buttons

• Skip the other mouse directions

• Map Mouse Btn Left and Mouse Btn Right to the two big buttons

• Map Mouse Emu and MENU to the two remaining small buttons

• In the SNES core, hold Mouse Emu and press MENU to enable mouse emulation

The buttons mapped as Mouse Btn Left and Mouse Btn Right will now work together with the rollerball. One just need to avoid pressing the button mapped to Mouse Move Right.

neogeo81

12characters wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:26 pm

Thanks. This is useful information.

I do not think it is necessary to be so harsh to Lightwave. The input configuration in MiSTer is rather opaque. In the menu, you are at first only informed of two options: Cancel or Finish. Apparently, you can anyhow Skip/Undefine by pressing the menu button (assuming that you have previously assigned a button or button combo on the same device to Menu).

By any chance, do you have a better solution to this problem?

12characters wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:47 pm

I wanted to use the rollerball as a mouse in the SNES core. The rollerball itself works out of the box if mouse input is enabled in the core menu. The issue is mapping the mouse buttons. I found a workaround by using the mouse emulation feature:

• In the main menu, go to define joystick buttons

• Press one of the small buttons as Right in the DPAD test

• When reaching Mouse Move Right, press again one of the small buttons

• Skip the other mouse directions

• Map Mouse Btn Left and Mouse Btn Right to the two big buttons

• Map Mouse Emu and MENU to the two remaining small buttons

• In the SNES core, hold Mouse Emu and press MENU to enable mouse emulation

The buttons mapped as Mouse Btn Left and Mouse Btn Right will now work together with the rollerball. One just need to avoid pressing the button mapped to Mouse Move Right.

No, unfortunately not. I am also still in very early learning process with my Taito Spinner/Rollerball controller. I think that in a couple of month we will have more plug-and-play options in the cores who support this controller.

PikWik

Unread post by PikWik »

im glad to see the spinner/rollerball getting some traction, but i will wait to buy one of these until its better implemented and what neogeo81 said, "plug-and-play"

fantastic progress so far!

trz34

Unread post by trz34 »

Hello All, can you call multiple core configurations in one ini file for the Taito spinner or do you need to setup alt ini files for each core? Example, I wanted to put both arkanoid for arcade and NES config in 1 single ini file.

[arkanoid]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100
[NES]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

Would that work?

Lightwave

trz34 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:54 am

Hello All, can you call multiple core configurations in one ini file for the Taito spinner or do you need to setup alt ini files for each core? Example, I wanted to put both arkanoid for arcade and NES config in 1 single ini file.

[arkanoid]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100
[NES]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

Would that work?

Yes, I've done this myself within a single .ini and it works just fine.

Lightwave

This assumes that a button on the controller is assigned to the OSD, which is pointless as you can't navigate the menu with either the spinner or the trackball, and you still require a second controller to use the menu anyway (and you can't use the second controller to skip the initial commands, because then its VID/PID will become active instead).

If you do assign one of the five buttons to the OSD in order to skip commands, then you still end up wasting a button, so it's the same result.

neogeo81

Lightwave wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:12 am

This assumes that a button on the controller is assigned to the OSD, which is pointless as you can't navigate the menu with either the spinner or the trackball, and you still require a second controller to use the menu anyway (and you can't use the second controller to skip the initial commands, because then its VID/PID will become active instead).

If you do assign one of the five buttons to the OSD in order to skip commands, then you still end up wasting a button, so it's the same result.

oh come on man how about you use a keyboard and press space to skip or just use the goddamn OSB button on the mister itself to skip.... I don't have to explain every little possible step, do I?

trz34

Unread post by trz34 »

Lightwave wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:01 am
trz34 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:54 am

[arkanoid]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100
[NES]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

Would that work?

Yes, I've done this myself within a single .ini and it works just fine.

Thanks for the reply, is there something special about the placement? I tried this but it didnt seem to work;

; use specific (VID/PID) mouse X movement as a spinner and paddle. Use VID=0xFFFF/PID=0xFFFF to use all mice as spinners.
;spinner_vid=0x1BCF
;spinner_pid=0x0005

[arkanoid]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

[jtcps2]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

[NES]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

[SMS]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

; spinner_throttle with base value 100 gives one spinner step per one tick. Higher value makes spinner slower.
; Lower than 100 makes spinner faster. Negative value gives opposite direction.
;spinner_throttle=-50

; 0 - X axis, 1 - Y axis.
;spinner_axis=1

12characters

trz34 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:06 pm

Thanks for the reply, is there something special about the placement? I tried this but it didnt seem to work;

; use specific (VID/PID) mouse X movement as a spinner and paddle. Use VID=0xFFFF/PID=0xFFFF to use all mice as spinners.
;spinner_vid=0x1BCF
;spinner_pid=0x0005

[arkanoid]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

[jtcps2]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

[NES]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

[SMS]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

; spinner_throttle with base value 100 gives one spinner step per one tick. Higher value makes spinner slower.
;spinner_throttle=-50

;spinner_axis=1

First of all, the core-specific sections should be added at the end of the INI file. The lines between [MiSTer] and the next brackets [core1] constitute the first section of global settings. Then, the lines between [core1] and [core2] apply to core1, between [core2] and [core3] apply to core2,....

Second, I do not know if it matters but I suggest placing the lines in the same order as in the template. That is, spinner vid and pid before throttle and axis. Like:

Code: Select all

spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100
spinner_axis=2
trz34

Unread post by trz34 »

12characters wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:26 pm
trz34 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:06 pm

;spinner_vid=0x1BCF
;spinner_pid=0x0005

[arkanoid]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

[jtcps2]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

[NES]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

[SMS]
spinner_axis=2
spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100

;spinner_throttle=-50

;spinner_axis=1

First of all, the core-specific sections should be added at the end of the INI file. The lines between [MiSTer] and the next brackets [core1] constitute the first section of global settings. Then, the lines between [core1] and [core2] apply to core1, between [core2] and [core3] apply to core2,....

Second, I do not know if it matters but I suggest placing the lines in the same order as in the template. That is, spinner vid and pid before throttle and axis. Like:

Code: Select all

spinner_vid=0x0ae4
spinner_pid=0x0701
spinner_throttle=100
spinner_axis=2

Thank you for your help! As you probably figured I am rather new to the Mister but I greatly appreciate the assistance!

Stinky

Unread post by Stinky »

Paul2018 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:24 pm

Thank you very much Sonik for your work.

I tried different games on the C64 core that use paddles (Don't break the balls, Puzzle Bobble, Arkanoid) and it works like a charm !

Ignore what I previously wrote I got it working on c64.

plxbollo

Unread post by plxbollo »

Hello,
I managed to get the spinner working but its moving reversal.
What have I done wrong??

EDIT: solved it: "spinner_throttle" was set to "-100" as I altered the default settings
Now it's set to 120
:)

What games can actually use the spinner?

Tried out the TRACKBALL of the controller, replacing the mouse in the minimig core - too slow.
Same with centipede (even when set to 400% speed)
What*s your experience?

cheers
plx

Lightwave

plxbollo wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:25 pm

What games can actually use the spinner?

Tried out the TRACKBALL of the controller, replacing the mouse in the minimig core - too slow.
Same with centipede (even when set to 400% speed)

Arkanoid and Puzz Loop 2 are good games to try with the spinner (need to enable rotary control in the service menu for Puzz Loop 2).

For the trackball, there is a link in this thread to a version of Centipede with 800% speed; set the mouse throttle to 1 in mister.ini and scaling to 800% speed and it becomes somewhat playable.

plxbollo

Unread post by plxbollo »

I have seen it, but I'd prefer to wait to have a system wide option for speeding up mouse movements...
Meanwhile I play some Arkanoid...

Stinky

Unread post by Stinky »

Spinner works great with the Vic20 core update.

Stinky

Unread post by Stinky »

There's a hack for this. After selecting right with an arbitrary button, clear selections with F12 and you can start from the top.

neogeo81

Stinky wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:36 am

There's a hack for this. After selecting right with an arbitrary button, clear selections with F12 and you can start from the top.

sure be he said he does not have nor an IO board with buttons nor a keyboard.... sigh

therourke

Unread post by therourke »

Sad that this only ever had a limited release. Please add to main core!!

Lightwave

therourke wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:19 pm

Sad that this only ever had a limited release. Please add to main core!!

The mousewheel-as-spinner functionality has already been added to the main core as detailed in this thread, so you can use that for spinner games with the Egret II spinner controller, and use mouse as trackball for trackball games.