Taito Egret II Mini Rollerball/Spinner Controller

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
triangle

Re: Taito Egret II Mini Rollerball/Spinner Controller

Unread post by triangle »

mukiex wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:12 pm Does anyone know of any Arduino-type devices w/ built-in USB host ports? Couldn't find anything online so I've picked up a couple of Pi Picos 'n USB OTG adapters; wish me luck! =D
Modern revs of the Teensy can be both USB client and host, though I think you'd need to wire up the additional port yourself.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

mukiex wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:12 pm Potentially as an interim I could bodge together a USB converter from the controller to something the MiSTer is expecting
Hmm, I haven't taken mine apart yet, but I'm suspecting something like an Opti-PAC would be a better interim solution instead of an adapter.
Reed_Solomon

Unread post by Reed_Solomon »

So I've been thinking about this, If the problem is that these USB spinners are basically just showing up as mouse scroll wheels (I don't have one but that seems to be the case from what's posted here), then there are 2 possible solutions I can think of at least when it comes to MiSTer.

1) Fix the drivers in the Linux kernel so that they function as intended for every device with a spinner.

2) Add an option in the MiSTer framework / cores to use mouse scroll wheel as spinner input. Therefore, anything that shows up as a scroll wheel would act as a spinner, including an actual mouse scroll wheel. Feature could be toggled on and off in cores.

#1 is the ideal fix, both solutions could probably be implemented in due course without conflicting with each other.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Reed_Solomon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:44 am #1 is the ideal fix, both solutions could probably be implemented in due course without conflicting with each other.
Certainly it is, but someone's got to do it. Right now it would seem that there's no motivation for people who know their way inside the kernel.

Maybe we should stage a group buy to spark interest ;)
Reed_Solomon

Unread post by Reed_Solomon »

lamarax wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:41 pm
Reed_Solomon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:44 am #1 is the ideal fix, both solutions could probably be implemented in due course without conflicting with each other.
Certainly it is, but someone's got to do it. Right now it would seem that there's no motivation for people who know their way inside the kernel.

Maybe we should stage a group buy to spark interest ;)
If you have one of these devices, file a bug report / issue in Ubuntu, say the controller works except for the spinner, and that on windows it shows up as a scroll wheel. It could help get eyes on the problem.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Thankfully, a big player has come to the party ;)
MrMister1985

Unread post by MrMister1985 »

That looks great, fingers crossed this can be added to the Mister project soon! :D
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

While not useful for many, I would love to see the spinner working on MiSTer-
MrMister1985

Any further developments on this? Would love to see this work fully on MiSTer!!! :D
MorkMikael

Unread post by MorkMikael »

lamarax wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:53 pm So, I received mine today. The situation regarding MiSTer use, is exactly as flynnsbit describes; everything's working as it should except for the spinner.

As far as quality goes, it's surprisingly pleasant; the trackball has a heft to it despite its small size and fits my hand nicely. I was worried the whole thing would feel plastic-y and toy-ish, but it's far from that. The proprietary (⌀26mm?) buttons are also great; they're of the shallow snap-in variety, and feel somewhat between Seimitsu PS-15s and "western style" Happ/ILs.

The spinner is... indeed a spinner :mrgreen: It's not a brush pot; obviously it relies on a gear mechanism and has a high resolution. I didn't open up the unit (yet), so I hope those gears are not out of plastic; they tend to 'catch' with finer rotation.

All in all, I believe this was a worthy purchase. Let's wish combined trackball/spinner (i.e. mouse with scroll wheel) support makes it into main.

At last I can play Centipede as intended :)
if you open it would you mind posting pics of the inside like to know if it would be possible to add your own stuff to it.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

MorkMikael wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:35 pm if you open it would you mind posting pics of the inside like to know if it would be possible to add your own stuff to it.
spinnercon.jpg
spinnercon.jpg (2.39 MiB) Viewed 6504 times
Did y'all try @theypsilon's framework test build with Arkanoid? It works flawlessly!
MiSTer.zip
(531.44 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
[Edit]...and here's my input mapping with Arkanoid (World).mra, in case you find it difficult to set the controls up (it's tricky). Paste inside the [.../media/fat/config/inputs] folder. Also make sure you're using the MiSTer binary I posted above.
arkanoid_input_0ae4_0701_v3.zip
(223 Bytes) Downloaded 192 times
The little purple button is COIN, little blue button is 1P START, left button is SHOOT, and right button is FAST. I prefer setting the sensitivity to "medium" for the spinner in the OSD.
ghostofthesun

Unread post by ghostofthesun »

Hope nobody minds me bumping this topic up. Has it been determined yet if it's possible to swap the board out for something a bit more compatible?

Side question for those who have the joystick controller: does it support the 0ms polling feature on the Mister?
KnightNZ

Unread post by KnightNZ »

Edit - nm, found an earlier post with the config process.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Today the framework got promoted to stable with many updates, but alas the couple of lines of code needed to make the spinner functional (with Arkanoid at least), are still missing :(

Here are those lines by @theypsilon, in case anyone wants to compile the newest MiSTer binary with the fix incorporated inside input.cpp:

Code: Select all

5111						if (data[0] & 8) {
5112							int myspinner = data[3] & 0x80 ? ((int) data[3]) - 0xFF : data[3];
5113							//printf("IM HERE MAN %d "BYTE_TO_BINARY_PATTERN, myspinner, BYTE_TO_BINARY(myspinner));
5114						        //printf("\n");
5115							send_mouse_with_throttle(i, myspinner, myspinner, 0);
5116						} else {
5117							send_mouse_with_throttle(i, xval, yval, data[3]);
5118						}
5119					}
5120				}
5121			}
5122		}
5123	}
I love the comment; IM HERE MAN :mrgreen:
pva

Unread post by pva »

lamarax wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:54 pm Did y'all try @theypsilon's framework test build with Arkanoid? It works flawlessly!
Hey @lamarax, I just got my controller in today, and I'm trying to make it work using the set of files you provided. However, I'm having trouble getting the Arkanoid (W) core (MiSTer v220619, A.ARKANOID v220521) to register any inputs.

I've copied both the main binary and input mapping over to my SD card, and set the core settings to the following:

Pad Control: Spinner
Spinner Resolution: Medium
SNAC Spinner: Disable
Are these correct, or have more recent updates broken support for the controller? (I'm well aware the change hasn't been merged yet, and thus the controller isn't officially supported, but I'm impatient. :D) Could you please share your methodology for setting up the controls for the core so I could try to replicate the process? I suspect the controller should be set up as a mouse instead, but I can't wrap my head around how to do it.

Thanks!

P.S. when connected to a computer the trackball moves the mouse cursor and and spinner acts as a scroll wheel, so I think the the controller is working fine.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

pva wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:57 pm
lamarax wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:54 pm Did y'all try @theypsilon's framework test build with Arkanoid? It works flawlessly!
Hey @lamarax, I just got my controller in today, and I'm trying to make it work using the set of files you provided. However, I'm having trouble getting the Arkanoid (W) core (MiSTer v220619, A.ARKANOID v220521) to register any inputs.

I've copied both the main binary and input mapping over to my SD card, and set the core settings to the following:

Pad Control: Spinner
Spinner Resolution: Medium
SNAC Spinner: Disable
Are these correct, or have more recent updates broken support for the controller? (I'm well aware the change hasn't been merged yet, and thus the controller isn't officially supported, but I'm impatient. :D) Could you please share your methodology for setting up the controls for the core so I could try to replicate the process? I suspect the controller should be set up as a mouse instead, but I can't wrap my head around how to do it.

Thanks!

P.S. when connected to a computer the trackball moves the mouse cursor and and spinner acts as a scroll wheel, so I think the the controller is working fine.
I forgot to add that you first have to setup the device in the main core. Mine is setup beforehand so that the small white button acts as F12 (bring up the OSD) and all the other ones have some function as well. Maybe there's a conflict between your basic configuration and the Arkanoid (W) specific I posted above. I'd like to check, but I've reverted to the stable MiSTer binary for now.

It's important that once you first enter the specific core's controls setup menu, you don't touch the kb or another pad. When it prompts you for 'left, right' etc., just press the button you have designated as the 'menu' one in main (in my case the small white one). Then you should designate only relevant functions ('coin', '1P start', 'shoot' and 'fast'), skipping all the others. By the time you get to this stage, vid:pid of the Taito controller is registered, so it doesn't matter if you use the spacebar to skip.

Hope all that makes sense :)
pva

Unread post by pva »

lamarax wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:22 pm I forgot to add that you first have to setup the device in the main core. Mine is setup beforehand so that the small white button acts as F12 (bring up the OSD) and all the other ones have some function as well. Maybe there's a conflict between your basic configuration and the Arkanoid (W) specific I posted above. I'd like to check, but I've reverted to the stable MiSTer binary for now.
For anyone else looking to test this out, performing the basic controller setup in the main core was the charm.

Now, the next question is: How can we help @theypsilon to get his changes merged into Main?

Alternately, if anyone has any pointers on how to build the Main core in Docker (Rætro Archives' toolchain seems to be both out-of-date and broken), I'm all ears. (As I said, I'm impatient, but I'm willing to put some effort into maintaining my own fork while we wait the change to land in Main.)
pva

Unread post by pva »

pva wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:42 pm Alternately, if anyone has any pointers on how to build the Main core in Docker (Rætro Archives' toolchain seems to be both out-of-date and broken), I'm all ears. (As I said, I'm impatient, but I'm willing to put some effort into maintaining my own fork while we wait the change to land in Main.)
At the risk of derailing the thread, I'll just add that after a bit of research last night, I got the build working using @theypsilon's Dockerized GCC ARM build environment. If anyone else fancies building their own up-to-date Main binary with the experimental spinner patch, shoot me a DM and I'll send you a link to my fork. (I'm not linking to it here because I'm not going to support it in any way, shape or form. :D).
numbski

Unread post by numbski »

Mine just showed up as well, but under “define joystick buttons”, when I get to mouse right/mouse left etc, the trackball is just flat out ignored. I can map the buttons, but not the ball.
Lightwave

Unread post by Lightwave »

numbski wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:51 pm Mine just showed up as well, but under “define joystick buttons”, when I get to mouse right/mouse left etc, the trackball is just flat out ignored. I can map the buttons, but not the ball.
Mice work automatically in MiSTer, no need for mapping.

The joystick definitions are for mapping non-mice devices to simulate mice.
therourke

Unread post by therourke »

Has this been implemented in the main Mister build yet, or do we still need to use this variant?

I got this working with Arkanoid on the Mister build posted here. Does it / will it ever work with any other games? The trackball works great with the Amiga core. Could do with the ability to increase responsiveness/sensitivity though.
therourke

therourke wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:30 am Has this been implemented in the main Mister build yet, or do we still need to use this variant?

I got this working with Arkanoid on the Mister build posted here. Does it / will it ever work with any other games? The trackball works great with the Amiga core. Could do with the ability to increase responsiveness/sensitivity though.
Any updates at all on this? Or can I find input on a particular discord? Thanks
therourke

Attempting a bump of this one last time... did this get implemented in the main Mister build? Will it?
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Its on a branch its not in the Main Mister.
Doop

Unread post by Doop »

Is there any chance of getting this merged into the main branch Sorg? Thanks for all your work.
MrMister1985

Just checking in, will this go into the main Mister build at some point or will it stay seperate? Any reason why it cant go into the Main Branch? Would be great for new folks to Mister to have a more simple plug and play once its set up in the normal way if possibe!

I understand if not possible

cheers :)
dryosh

Unread post by dryosh »

Bump! Let’s put it in the main branch! I would do it but I don’t know how! Maybe we can make a little funding for that, I am willing to pay
KnightNZ

Unread post by KnightNZ »

Just putting my 2c in on this one, would love support for this so I can play Arkanoid and Centipede the way they were meant to be played!

Please and thank-you!
killersquirel

Unread post by killersquirel »

I would also love to see this controller added to the MiSTer main. Please and thank you.
uberyoji

Unread post by uberyoji »

Anyone know if it got merged in main afterall?