Would love to see more Classic Arcade cores

shertz

Would love to see more Classic Arcade cores

Unread post by shertz »

CPS1 is awesome and all, but I would love to see more Classic Arcade games (pre 1984) From companies like Taito, Universal and Exidy.

Lets do it!!
killersquirel

Re: Would love to see more Classic Arcade cores

Unread post by killersquirel »

I completely agree with you. Exidy, Universal, Atari System 1 and System 2, Earlier Atari hardware, Irem, Taito, Sega, Stern, Orca, Bally Midway, Data East, etc would be great to explore. I also love all of the old bootlegs as well. It was a crazy time for arcades.
lomdar67

Unread post by lomdar67 »

Which brings me to my all time favorite Crystal Castles. Would love to see a core for that game.
We raise hopes here...until they're old enough to fend for themselves.
--Mike Callahan
RoWolf

Unread post by RoWolf »

I would love to see Mr. Do! Run Run.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Arcade game cores from the eighties are always welcome here as well. Love being able to play them on a CRT.
Minpin

Unread post by Minpin »

I agree 100%. I don't care about CPS and all the newer stuff.
Gyruss

Unread post by Gyruss »

shertz wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:22 am CPS1 is awesome and all, but I would love to see more Classic Arcade games (pre 1984) From companies like Taito, Universal and Exidy.

Lets do it!!
I agree but it depends on what games will be sent to the people who do the cores for us, once a game has been sent there is no way back anymore, it is lost forever but still this game will be reserved for the community ;)

I did sent some games from my private collection to Jotego recently, he already received them and hopefully he will soon start....
It was personal not easy for me to see them go since they were so long in my collection, In there are several top titels.. but wanted to do something back for you all.

So if there are people overhere with classic pcb`s I would recommend to sent them to the Mister developers overhere please!

By the way I`m not a patrion but just like to help core developers with original Arcade games :D
Dr_Dave

Unread post by Dr_Dave »

A real outside bet, but I would LOVE to see 1982's The Pit make it to MiSTer... a little known Boulderdash precursor, which is somehow infurtiating and awesome at the same time.
Minpin

Unread post by Minpin »

Dr_Dave wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:19 pm A real outside bet, but I would LOVE to see 1982's The Pit make it to MiSTer... a little known Boulderdash precursor, which is somehow infurtiating and awesome at the same time.
The Pit is a great game. The TAITO hardware is for The Pit, Super Mouse and Fitter. Fitter is also a great game.
Dr_Dave

Unread post by Dr_Dave »

Minpin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:40 am The Pit is a great game. The TAITO hardware is for The Pit, Super Mouse and Fitter. Fitter is also a great game.
It's great! It's one of those games that few people remember, but all that do seem to love it.

I am so fond of it, I did a port of the game to the ZX Spectrum last year. The C64 had one, but not the Spectrum, and the Spectrum seemed uniquely suited to it with the colour palette and the 8x8 block graphics. Here's how it turned out: https://youtu.be/YQeyKqAeEaY?t=127
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

The Pit is a great little game. Back in the day our arcade had a machine for a little while. So frustrating to go through the level and do all the hard work only to miss the opening at the end :lol: Well done on a great conversion Dr Dave
caffeinekid

Unread post by caffeinekid »

That looks great on the Speccy but it's very strange seeing the game in colour. When I played it - in a chip shop I think - it was a pure B&W game.

Or did I just imagine that? I'm sure it was monochrome.
Minpin

Unread post by Minpin »

caffeinekid wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:26 pm That looks great on the Speccy but it's very strange seeing the game in colour. When I played it - in a chip shop I think - it was a pure B&W game.

The one at my local Café in the 80's was color.
Dr_Dave

Unread post by Dr_Dave »

caffeinekid wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:26 pm That looks great on the Speccy but it's very strange seeing the game in colour. When I played it - in a chip shop I think - it was a pure B&W game.

The original was definitely in colour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTIjYc-ZH-A

I wonder if there were black and white variants of it?
Newsdee
Top Contributor

Unread post by Newsdee »

It could just have been a B&W display?
caffeinekid

Unread post by caffeinekid »

Probably yes. I don't want to detail this thread though. LOL. Bring on the arcade cores. :)
werpu

Unread post by werpu »

Would love to see the classic start wars habe in the mister, but the biggest gap atm probably are the laserdisc games like dragons lair
jedvard

Unread post by jedvard »

Bonze Adventure...please santa...please :)
killersquirel

Unread post by killersquirel »

I would love to see classic Atari games like I, Robot, Peter Pack Rat, Marble Madness, Crystal Castles, Liberator, etc and some of their prototype games like Qwak, Maze Runner, etc. I also would love more Universal Games like Mr Do's Castle, Mr Do's Wild Ride, Do Run Run, and Jumping Jack. I would love to see Exidy games like Pepper II, Mouse Trap, Venture, Hard Hat, Fax, Targ, Spectar, and if possible their light gun games like Crossbow, Cheyenne, Hit or Miss.

I also love to see the quirky games that were from small companies and late 70s and early 80s bootlegs.
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

killersquirel wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:32 pm I would love to see classic Atari games like I, Robot, Peter Pack Rat, Marble Madness, Crystal Castles, Liberator, etc and some of their prototype games like Qwak, Maze Runner, etc. I also would love more Universal Games like Mr Do's Castle, Mr Do's Wild Ride, Do Run Run, and Jumping Jack. I would love to see Exidy games like Pepper II, Mouse Trap, Venture, Hard Hat, Fax, Targ, Spectar, and if possible their light gun games like Crossbow, Cheyenne, Hit or Miss.

I also love to see the quirky games that were from small companies and late 70s and early 80s bootlegs.
Youre speaking my language!! :D
lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

werpu wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 pm Would love to see the classic start wars habe in the mister, but the biggest gap atm probably are the laserdisc games like dragons lair
Maybe a Daphne emulator on ARM side (like ScummVM) would be enough for Laserdisc games, i would love it
lroby74

Unread post by lroby74 »

R-type PCB sent to Jotego was your? Then you are a Hero for me!!
Gyruss wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm
shertz wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:22 am CPS1 is awesome and all, but I would love to see more Classic Arcade games (pre 1984) From companies like Taito, Universal and Exidy.

Lets do it!!
I agree but it depends on what games will be sent to the people who do the cores for us, once a game has been sent there is no way back anymore, it is lost forever but still this game will be reserved for the community ;)

I did sent some games from my private collection to Jotego recently, he already received them and hopefully he will soon start....
It was personal not easy for me to see them go since they were so long in my collection, In there are several top titels.. but wanted to do something back for you all.

So if there are people overhere with classic pcb`s I would recommend to sent them to the Mister developers overhere please!

By the way I`m not a patrion but just like to help core developers with original Arcade games :D
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

I would be extremely happy if we got some kind of Laserdisc functionality. The original Dragon's Lair and Space Ace would be a huge get for MiSTer.
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

Respectfully, I think we've got enough early 80s and below arcade cores. What we really need are Ninja Turtles, Spider-Man Arcade by Sega, Battletoads Arcade, the Simpsons, Violent Storm, Captain America and the Avengers along with X-Men!

Of course this is all opinion, :P Devs make what they want. If we were to get something though these would be the games I'll look forward to the most
Dreams don't die!
werpu

Unread post by werpu »

It really depends on what you grew up with. For me the golden era was the early 80s when every game tried to be different. I lost interest ca 1987 when games became mostly repetetive clones within 3-4 genres (arcade fighters, shmups, and street brawlers and racing games)
But also by then I had a home computer and enjoyed way deeper games, the arcades by then had lost their magic.
The reason why I was so fascinated by the Laserdisk games was, that they were so completely different and from a nostalgia pov graphically the best you can get. That most of them (not all) were simple quick time events did not really matter.

But I can understand, if you hit the arcades in the 90s that your nostalgia is more on this side of the fence and that you are not really interested that much into 80s games with their somewhat simplistic graphics. Jotego is working on fullfilling this needs anyway with his Capcom system ports.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

I think more discrete logic bronze age arcade games would also be nice. We have Pong, Space Race, and Breakout, but there are so many outstanding early discrete logic games that are classics and still fun to play to this day.

Also, we're severely lacking in light gun arcade games. We have a goose egg in terms of light gun arcade games currently.
Gyruss

Unread post by Gyruss »

lroby74 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:36 am R-type PCB sent to Jotego was your? Then you are a Hero for me!!
Gyruss wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm

Lets do it!!

Thank you my friend, Yes I did sent my original Irem R-type to Jotego :) together with another 5 great titels, would be great to see this game on the Mister hopefully soon :D
Hyper Space Squid

Unread post by Hyper Space Squid »

I'm grateful for any Arcade core we get released regardless of how old or new it is, Mister is like a time machine preserving memories of forgotten classics like Berzerk and Super Pac-Man. 👍
_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

The first and most impressive SHMUPS of the 80-90s... Tehkan's STAR FORCE.

And by the way.. thanks devs for all the current rlsed cores.
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

_javi_ wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:00 pm The first and most impressive SHMUPS of the 80-90s... Tekhan's STAR FORCE.

[...]
That would be awesome :shock: . I wish someday it came to reality.