Cases for Pi3A+ with MT32pi

MiSTerGamer'76

Cases for Pi3A+ with MT32pi

Unread post by MiSTerGamer'76 »

Hello everyone! First time posting on the forum (have been referencing it quite awhile and it's been very helpful). I'm not really sure where to put this, hopefully this topic is in the right section.

Anyway, on to my questions:

Pretty much everywhere I observe on the internet (and Youtube), seems like everyone is using an aluminum (geekworm?) case with the Pi3A+ and the MT32pi. Besides good looks, why is this? Is this combo the only option that fits all these parts together?

This aluminum case is 3x more expense than plastic cases that are commonly available and easier to get. I was intending to get the Pibow 3A+ coupe case, attach a small heat sink on the cpu through the hole in the lid, and then install the MT32pi. Has anyone here done this? Will it work/fit? How does it look (probably not as good as the aluminum case)? Is there enough clearance between the top case screws/nuts and the bottom screws/nuts on the MT32pi? A few pictures would be nice.

Another alternative case I am considering is the Adafruit Raspberry Pi A+ Case (Smoke Base w/ Clear Top). I would then drill holes in the top lid so the MT32pi buttons could be pressed (if it all fits together). If not, then perhaps the top lid of the MT32pi could be removed for more clearance when installed in the Adafruit case. Other modifications may be necessary for a good fit. Has anyone here done this? Is the end result worthwhile? Any pictures? Would the Piblow 3A+ coupe be a better choice?

Are their other cases I should be considering that fits with my theme? I have the misterfpga.co.uk transparent acrylic case (love the way the MiSTer LED's shine through the case at night) and would like so get something that matches for the MT32pi.

Thanks for reading and to anyone that replies. Have a good day!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Cases for Pi3A+ with MT32pi

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

The Geekworm/UGeek case acts as a giant heatsink and gets quite hot when the MT32-pi is active. You have to set an option to get rid of the low voltage warning (when powering from the MiSTer), which will disable CPU throttling. It looks really good connected to the MT32-pi and works with the vertical stand D0pefish made for it.

Make sure you have ample cooling with the case you choose, or don't disable the CPU throttling and use a strong enough external power supply.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

Dunno bout the 3A, i used a 3B plus this case, which is on amazon for £15.99.
search for 'Ultra-thin Aluminum Alloy Metal CNC Enclosure Case Raspberry Pi 3B 2B B+UK'
DSCF0401.JPG
DSCF0401.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 2791 times
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
d0pefish
mt32-pi Creator

Unread post by d0pefish »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:17 am ...or don't disable the CPU throttling and use a strong enough external power supply.
Just to clarify this; disabling the throttling is *only* for under-voltage conditions - a PSU upgrade/not having to disable the undervoltage throttle will have no effect on thermals.

Basically, you never want throttling otherwise audio quality could suffer. When the Pi is powered properly, it won't throttle; when powered by MiSTer it will receive less voltage and could throttle (this is a safety mechanism of the Pi's GPU firmware to prevent data loss/crashing under Linux), so we have to disable that to guarantee perfect audio.

The power saving mode that activates after 300 seconds (by default) is the only time when we intentionally reduce the CPU frequency.
Looneybinjim

Unread post by Looneybinjim »

Does anyone know if the Aliexpress/Amazon cheaper aluminium 3A+heatsink cases fit with d0pefish's stand?
grantek

Unread post by grantek »

Just wanted to plug my 3D-printed case for the Pi 3 A/B/+, a 50% scale "mt32-mini", with the non-infringing name of "Minisynth 32":

ms32-posed.jpg
ms32-posed.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1396 times

Details on GitHub: https://github.com/grantek/minisynth32 or the build guide.

I'd like to design it to suit the Zero 2 W, but haven't been able to find one in stock :|
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I wish I'd known about it when I built my ClumsyMIDI! Thanks so much for this!