MiSTer CRT Issues

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
rickdias1234

MiSTer CRT Issues

Unread post by rickdias1234 »

I just purchased and got my MiSTer up and running not too long ago and everything has been excellent! Except on my CRT with the VGA to component output - on this particular CRT (Samsung DynaFlat TX-N2434F), when playing games with a certain flashing effect, the video goes out of sync and flashes. Here is a link to a video on youtube of the issue in motion, please avoid this if you have any issues with flashing lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jja5E4LSZWY

Also, here is my MiSTer.ini file: https://pastebin.com/tYrxEqS9

I've tested this with different cables and it still had the same issue, but I finally was able to get my hands on another CRT and this issue does not happen with this one. Are there any settings I could potentially change to remedy this on the current Samsung CRT or on the .ini file? I know that on the GB games I have tested that have had this issue (such as Street Fighter Alpha), there is an option on the core called Stabilize Video (buffer) that when turned on, remedies the issues. I'm not sure if there are any settings like this I could apply globally, or if there was anything hardware wise I could try. Any thoughts?
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Re: MiSTer CRT Issues

Unread post by bazza_12 »

which games does this happen on?
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

bazza_12 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:55 am which games does this happen on?
That looks like the Mobile Suit Gundam game for CPS2. This is Jotego's core.
rickdias1234 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:47 pm I just purchased and got my MiSTer up and running not too long ago and everything has been excellent! Except on my CRT with the VGA to component output - on this particular CRT (Samsung DynaFlat TX-N2434F), when playing games with a certain flashing effect, the video goes out of sync and flashes. Here is a link to a video on youtube of the issue in motion, please avoid this if you have any issues with flashing lights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jja5E4LSZWY

Also, here is my MiSTer.ini file: https://pastebin.com/tYrxEqS9

I've tested this with different cables and it still had the same issue, but I finally was able to get my hands on another CRT and this issue does not happen with this one. Are there any settings I could potentially change to remedy this on the current Samsung CRT or on the .ini file? I know that on the GB games I have tested that have had this issue (such as Street Fighter Alpha), there is an option on the core called Stabilize Video (buffer) that when turned on, remedies the issues. I'm not sure if there are any settings like this I could apply globally, or if there was anything hardware wise I could try. Any thoughts?
If it only happens on Jotego's arcade cores (like CPS2 in your video) then it might be an issue that should be reported on his github, since he doesn't look here or respond here typically.

If it's an issue that occurs on any other cores, then let us know which ones have this happen. Do you have issues with the Genesis core as well?
birdybro~
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

Very odd though that it seems to be fine on another crt, before this was mentioned I would have suggested running a memory check
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

bazza_12 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:53 pm Very odd though that it seems to be fine on another crt, before this was mentioned I would have suggested running a memory check
Different CRTs may be more or less compatible with slightly different video signals. Arcade systems if they are reproducing the original analog video signals often have very different signals than a typical consumer video signal that would have been used in the home.
birdybro~
rickdias1234

Unread post by rickdias1234 »

This is actually the SNES core, Gundam Wing ED is a super famicom game, but it has happened on some CPS cores such as 19xx. Depending on the game and effect, it is not so bad but in the case of Gundam where it is flashing for such a long time it is incredibly harsh on the eyes. Through my research and all the help I've received it is definitely just an issue with the implementation of analogue video and this particular CRT not getting along. Time to hunt for a Trinitron! :lol:
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

There are no such thing as a "perfect" CRT in regard to this subject. Even if somebody has one, and you manage to find exactly the same model, it might behave differently. I have a few Trinitrons and they can also be quite temperamental. One refuses to work at all with FPGAs in general. Others are very sensitive to the signal and might need potentiometers on the SYNC line to get the colours right. I've also seen occasional sync-related glitches in games which are hard to explain. If your read the Display section of this forum you will find many more threads with strange issues reported by people across the entire CRT spectrum: from arcade ones to PVMs.

Sure, it won't hurt to try some new ones, especially if your fave games are affected. Hunting can be fun, just bear the above in mind.
ash2fpga

Unread post by ash2fpga »

The official Sega and Sony mods for certain TVs can make for some amusing reading.

A couple posts with pictures
https://old.reddit.com/r/consolerepair/ ... ion_image/
https://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3631
matijaerceg

Unread post by matijaerceg »

Wondering if anyone in this thread has found a solution.

Similar issue to this perhaps: viewtopic.php?p=52062