NES Boot Rom Issue

spikemorrissey

NES Boot Rom Issue

Unread post by spikemorrissey »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can find the boot roms please?! I can't load any game.
caffeinekid

Re: NES Boot Rom Issue

Unread post by caffeinekid »

The NES doesn't have a boot rom?
spikemorrissey

caffeinekid wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:30 am The NES doesn't have a boot rom?
That's what I thought but none of my (working on retropie) game roms load. According to the Mister NES github these are required -
boot0.rom = FDS BIOS file. Will be used for any FDS images loaded
boot1.rom = NES Cart file. Can be used with boot0.rom (BIOS) in place
boot2.rom = FDS image file. Requires boot0.rom (BIOS). Use a blank FDS (header only) to boot the FDS BIOS without a disk image.
boot3.rom = PAL file. It can be used to set your default custom palette. Save the menu option on "Custom" to apply immediately.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

The easiest way to get many boot roms (which will be the correct ones too!) and also arcade roms is to download update_all.sh and put that in the scripts folder on the mister sdcard then run/configure that and many boot roms to many systems will magically appear on the sd card.

Download update_all.sh from here https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer

And watch some videos how to do it if your not sure https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ate_all.sh
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

The NES doesn't need a boot rom for running cartridge roms. They are only required when you load disk system images. When the games don't work, there is something else wrong with either your configuration or the roms.

Check if the roms have the iNES or NES2.0 header otherwise they won't work.
spikemorrissey

Chris23235 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:40 am The NES doesn't need a boot rom for running cartridge roms. They are only required when you load disk system images. When the games don't work, there is something else wrong with either your configuration or the roms.

Hi Chris,

How do I check if they have that header please? And if they don't is it possible to add it to them?
spikemorrissey

grizzly wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:14 am The easiest way to get many boot roms (which will be the correct ones too!) and also arcade roms is to download update_all.sh and put that in the scripts folder on the mister sdcard then run/configure that and many boot roms to many systems will magically appear on the sd card.

Download update_all.sh from here https://github.com/theypsilon/Update_All_MiSTer

And watch some videos how to do it if your not sure https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ate_all.sh
Thanks for the reply Grizzly, but I do regularly do that so I don't think that's the issue.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Regularly do what?
Update?
If so with update_all.sh or with update.sh?

Because _all.sh makes a very BIG difference! And do download much more then the regular .sh do.
And only update.sh comes with the "mister install" update_all.sh you need to download yourself or use for example mr fusion mister install.
And i´m pretty sure that the FDS roms for the NES is downloaded using _all.sh.
On top of downloading _all.sh you have to configure it by pressing up (or down can´t remember but it tells you on the screen) after you run it (it has a 10-15sec delay to do that).

You have to turn on the bios/mame/etc downloads in the configuration that is.
Which many if not all youtube clips about update_all shows how to do!
rockaholica

Unread post by rockaholica »

Are you using compressed roms by chance? If they are 7z or zip extensions you will need to extract the .nes and .fds files. Grabbing the flashcart ready collections is a good way to avoid this issue....if that is the issue 😁
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

spikemorrissey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:54 pm
Chris23235 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:40 am The NES doesn't need a boot rom for running cartridge roms. They are only required when you load disk system images. When the games don't work, there is something else wrong with either your configuration or the roms.

Hi Chris,

How do I check if they have that header please? And if they don't is it possible to add it to them?
Use this tool: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/299/
spikemorrissey

Hi Grizzly,

I ran the update_all script and it seemed to be working however, my mister is now hanging with the red and green lights flashing and if I switch it on and off again then nothing changes and I just the flashing lights. I then had the idea of using a different mister.ini file so I copied an older one over and that fixed the boot up issue. The NES games now work! - thank you.

However - do you know why the update hung and I had to use an old file? Is there any way of avoiding that in the future please. I have two misters so I would like to do the full update on the other one but I am nervous of it being corrupted and not being salvageable like this one/it happening again.

Thanks again!
grizzly wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:57 pm Regularly do what?
Update?
If so with update_all.sh or with update.sh?

Because _all.sh makes a very BIG difference! And do download much more then the regular .sh do.
And only update.sh comes with the "mister install" update_all.sh you need to download yourself or use for example mr fusion mister install.
And i´m pretty sure that the FDS roms for the NES is downloaded using _all.sh.
On top of downloading _all.sh you have to configure it by pressing up (or down can´t remember but it tells you on the screen) after you run it (it has a 10-15sec delay to do that).

You have to turn on the bios/mame/etc downloads in the configuration that is.
Which many if not all youtube clips about update_all shows how to do!