9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
Lightwave

Re: 9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Unread post by Lightwave »

atrac17 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:27 pm
epistaxis wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:18 pm
Gaor wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:24 pm
Still waiting, good sir. 8-)
You don't really need to wait, it's technically already done:

https://github.com/atrac17/MiSTer_Integ ... _alt_1.ini
Kinda, yeah. They all work.
Thanks for your work on these!

Do you have any plans to add modes for popular older arcade cores as well (e.g Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Galaga, etc.)?
epistaxis

Unread post by epistaxis »

atrac17 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:27 pm
epistaxis wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:18 pm
Gaor wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:24 pm
Still waiting, good sir. 8-)
You don't really need to wait, it's technically already done:

https://github.com/atrac17/MiSTer_Integ ... _alt_1.ini
Kinda, yeah. They all work.
What more needs to be done?
pedroTFP

Unread post by pedroTFP »

I got mine today (2xHDMI), works perfectly at any framerate, it's AWESOME!
lukethemaker

Unread post by lukethemaker »

I got mine today. I've been having a lot of fun with it. Everything was working great with the atrac17 6x mode but now, for some reason the Genesis core causes the screen to completely shut off. 4 bars of white fade onto the screen then it shuts off. Screen goes black and the light on the board turns off. The Genesis core was working totally fine earlier.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4VR9PR

This is the one I purchased. I've tried a brand new HDMI cable as well as a few other mini hdmi to hdmi cables I've had laying around so I don't think it's that. I also don't feel it's the power supply as I've tried multiple different power supplies as well. Any ideas?
edit: Upon closer inspection it appears that it flashes a frame of the game (Like a sega logo) before the shutdown process

Another edit: For some reason, the 240p test suite rom works just fine?

Another another edit: I disabled auto region and it appears to be working properly now.

gnXjBLY.jpeg
gnXjBLY.jpeg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 121133 times
epistaxis

lukethemaker wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:35 am I got mine today. I've been having a lot of fun with it. Everything was working great with the atrac17 6x mode but now, for some reason the Genesis core causes the screen to completely shut off. 4 bars of white fade onto the screen then it shuts off. Screen goes black and the light on the board turns off. The Genesis core was working totally fine earlier.

This is the one I purchased. I've tried a brand new HDMI cable as well as a few other mini hdmi to hdmi cables I've had laying around so I don't think it's that. I also don't feel it's the power supply as I've tried multiple different power supplies as well. Any ideas?
edit: Upon closer inspection it appears that it flashes a frame of the game (Like a sega logo) before the shutdown process

Another another edit: I disabled auto region and it appears to be working properly now.

gnXjBLY.jpeg
The core was probably trying to run it at PAL 50hz and your display driver is the one that can't handle 50hz.
lukethemaker

Unread post by lukethemaker »

epistaxis wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:36 am
lukethemaker wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:35 am I got mine today. I've been having a lot of fun with it. Everything was working great with the atrac17 6x mode but now, for some reason the Genesis core causes the screen to completely shut off. 4 bars of white fade onto the screen then it shuts off. Screen goes black and the light on the board turns off. The Genesis core was working totally fine earlier.

gnXjBLY.jpeg
The core was probably trying to run it at PAL 50hz and your display driver is the one that can't handle 50hz.

Yeah, that's for sure what it was. Bummer. Another question for those in this thread, what's the best way to get the Gameboy core to fill the screen? Currently it's small and centered with the 6x integer scale video modes posted in this thread.
justusingsearchfunction

Unread post by justusingsearchfunction »

lukethemaker wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:20 am
epistaxis wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:36 am

gnXjBLY.jpeg

Yeah, that's for sure what it was. Bummer. Another question for those in this thread, what's the best way to get the Gameboy core to fill the screen? Currently it's small and centered with the 6x integer scale video modes posted in this thread.
I'm sorry, but are you really sure? Because I ran into the same problem of the Genesis core booting into PAL with NTSC games from bad default settings when I first started using my Mister and I know my monitor can handle 50hz.
Murderface1982

Unread post by Murderface1982 »

Okay, so I'm getting HDMI with my mister...

I'm getting my IPAD screen to output HDMI on every device except for my mister. I have no idea what's going on here.

What settings in the INI would prevent me from seeing an image on this screen? I'm a total loss as to why this would be happening.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Murderface1982 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:24 am I'm getting my IPAD screen to output HDMI on every device except for my mister. I have no idea what's going on here.

What settings in the INI would prevent me from seeing an image on this screen? I'm a total loss as to why this would be happening.
That’s likely because you are using the included HDMI cable. Get a new high speed HDMI cable, and it should work with MiSTer’s 1536p output.
repente

Unread post by repente »

I just received mine, from the link in the first post.

- It is leaking light at the base (maybe it could be because it is being pressurized by the housing).
- It has a slightly "bald" part, as if the panel had been hit from behind.
- It does NOT work with 5v through the micro-usb, only 12v through the transformer.... Bummer, I wanted to make a mini arcade with Mister and all powered with a big 5v power bank.
Any of you have solved it? any advice? maybe some electronic board to switch from 5v to 12v?
Do you see feasible that a power bank power everything including the Mister?

In the meantime, I'm going to complain to the Chinese for the failures of the screen, to see if I get a replacement because if not, it's not cool to play with those failures.
drgruney

Unread post by drgruney »

repente wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:03 pm I just received mine, from the link in the first post.

- It is leaking light at the base (maybe it could be because it is being pressurized by the housing).
- It has a slightly "bald" part, as if the panel had been hit from behind.
- It does NOT work with 5v through the micro-usb, only 12v through the transformer.... Bummer, I wanted to make a mini arcade with Mister and all powered with a big 5v power bank.
Any of you have solved it? any advice? maybe some electronic board to switch from 5v to 12v?
Do you see feasible that a power bank power everything including the Mister?

In the meantime, I'm going to complain to the Chinese for the failures of the screen, to see if I get a replacement because if not, it's not cool to play with those failures.
What power sources have you tried to use with the Micro USB port?
remowilliams

Unread post by remowilliams »

repente wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:03 pm - It does NOT work with 5v through the micro-usb, only 12v through the transformer.... Bummer, I wanted to make a mini arcade with Mister and all powered with a big 5v power bank.
Mine requires a high power source such as an Apple 20W charger or a high power charge port on my NUC. It will not power correctly from the MiSTer or several other USB power adapters I have.
Txamin

Unread post by Txamin »

remowilliams wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:24 am
repente wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:03 pm - It does NOT work with 5v through the micro-usb, only 12v through the transformer.... Bummer, I wanted to make a mini arcade with Mister and all powered with a big 5v power bank.
Mine requires a high power source such as an Apple 20W charger or a high power charge port on my NUC. It will not power correctly from the MiSTer or several other USB power adapters I have.
Same here, seems like MiSTer is unable to power it, screen goes on/off.
repente

Unread post by repente »

Update, I have complained to Aliexpress and they "send me to hell"....
Neither the seller nor Aliexpress are responsible. I have paid 80€ (91 US dollars) in the case of shipping to Spain and thrown in the trash.
The light leakage is scandalous, I can't use the screen...

They tell me to send the product to China if I want a full refund (paying for shipping myself).
Sending to China from Spain something of that volume is more expensive than the item itself....

So gentlemen, I do NOT recommend buying that screen.
It is playing the lottery.

I hope someday I can buy another one from places like Amazon, where there is buyer protection.
DoCPooF

Unread post by DoCPooF »

Unfortunately, that's one of the downfalls with ordering from Aliexpress.

I ordered an item a couple years ago, was nothing like advertised. I filed a complaint with paypal, went around and around with the seller and finally they agreed to accept the return however to ship the item back it cost more than the item to begin with.

It's a gamble. Fortunately I ordered this screen and haven't had an issue with it.
Nemesis2k

Unread post by Nemesis2k »

Murderface1982 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:24 am Okay, so I'm getting HDMI with my mister...

I'm getting my IPAD screen to output HDMI on every device except for my mister. I have no idea what's going on here.

I got mine today and have the same problem. Using a 4K amazon HDMI cable.
epistaxis

Nemesis2k wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:31 pm
Murderface1982 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:24 am Okay, so I'm getting HDMI with my mister...

Try this ini and see if it works: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/atrac ... _alt_1.ini
stepea

Unread post by stepea »

Has anyone got a link for the case only, got the screen but a case on it's own would be great.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

LaserBear sells 2 different cases but you have to make sure that the controller board is the right one (the CRT version has links to the screen/controller).
https://www.laserbear.net/products/crt- ... 7-lcd-case
https://www.laserbear.net/products/vesa ... 7-lcd-case
scott64

Unread post by scott64 »

epistaxis wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:00 pm

Try this ini and see if it works: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/atrac ... _alt_1.ini
I'm having the same problem, this ini file didn't work for me. just a black screen.
EvilRyu

Unread post by EvilRyu »

I got mine recently (from Aliexpress, 2 mini hdmi) and it seems to work fine using an old amazon cable I had lying around. It is able to power on connected directly to a computer, a MiSTer USB hub or a 5v charger. I use atrac17's preconfigured .ini with 6x modelines and so far everything has worked fine, with full screen and a very nice image quality, colors, etc...

My main issues with it:
- My screen has a couple of small stains that annoy me but they're not a deal breaker
- Playing during the day is great but on a dark room the light leakage around the edges is very distracting
- There is no way to change the brightness (the controls don't do anything) and again it makes it very uncomfortable at night on a dark room.
- I found a dead pixel and now I can't unsee it :)

I knew what I was getting (expectations about build quality were low) and overall I'm very happy with the purchase. Having a portable 4:3 screen with this image quality, supported by MiSTer, that can be rotated easily, doesn't require it's own power supply and for a reasonable price is great.
Nemesis2k

Unread post by Nemesis2k »

scott64 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:00 am

I'm having the same problem, this ini file didn't work for me. just a black screen.
Same, black screen, tried 3 diff cables.
bnjones

Unread post by bnjones »

Nemesis2k wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:40 pm
scott64 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:00 am

Same, black screen, tried 3 diff cables.
Have you tried plugging in a different hdmi source besides the mister? I had the same problem, but the screen would display a picture with my laptop, so I knew the screen was ok.

Ended up figuring out I needed to strip the CEC out of the cable. Luckily I already use the CEC-less cable from mister addons, so I ran that from my mister into a coupler with the hdmi mini cord to the screen and it started working perfectly.

Good luck, hope that helps!
bnjones

Unread post by bnjones »

Stairwaytoevan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:45 pm Can anyone recommend a screen protector for this? Difficult to find one that just covers the screen. My 2 year old loves to play with me, and he thinks everything is a touch screen.
I couldn’t find any tempered glass protectors that were the right size, but if you order one of the “matte” screen protectors for an 10.2” iPad, you’ll be able to cut to fit. Not as good solution as one of the glass types, but will at least protect from minor scratches.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Update Nov 22, 2021, two months later: seems to link to a different product now. I changed the link to the new listing on the same store, but note that this has not been verified by anyone yet. It does seem like they did this to increase the shipping cost — which is understandable — but buyer beware, I have not personally verified this one. Pretty likely that it’s just the same product with $8 more in shipping, but do let us know how it works out if you order one.
repente

Unread post by repente »

I see I'm not the only one who got a faulty screen... what a lottery.
Claim to Aliexpress, with luck maybe they will at least refund part of the money.
It's not right that they sell you a product that is already defective and want to charge you 100% of the money.

The seller is "smart" and irresponsible.

In my case, I'm looking for replacement iPad 3 screens...
I'm going to try to take off the current one to at least try to take advantage of the casing and electronics.
epistaxis

repente wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:21 am I see I'm not the only one who got a faulty screen... what a lottery.
That's the price you pay for using aliexpress or any other "direct-from china" website.
pompomps

Unread post by pompomps »

repente wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:21 am I see I'm not the only one who got a faulty screen... what a lottery.
I received mine practically DOA, but we were able to get a replacement pcb sent after an extensive session of troubleshooting. Thank goodness the AliExpress chat has an auto translate feature
stepea

Unread post by stepea »

Ordered some time ago - the LP097QX1 9.7 Ipad screen plus LCD controller board - works fine but need a case for it.

Did find this on aliexpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003309992232.html but it has VGA out where the controller board I have has HDMI & mini HDMI. Looking for something similar, what is everyone else using for a case.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

Mine arrived today. And it can't hold sync with vsync_adjust 2 (low lag)
Tested some CPS2 games and DoDonPachi. Both worked on a firend's screen. But desync a lot on mine :(