9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
metalfacemark

Re: 9.7" iPad Retina Screen Perfect for MiSTer, $60 Fully Assembled 😄

Unread post by metalfacemark »

i got it, thanks very much!
AmanoJacu

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

I just got mine, everything was as explained here. The included miniHDMI cable totally sucked and it didn't work at all with my Mister, fortunately I had an old one lying around and it worked fine. My Mister with the included PSU (barrel cable) couldn't power the screen through an USB port, so I used a regular USB PSU with micro USB cable and it worked.

The only "problem" with my order, is that the AC cable (european plug "schuko", I live in Spain) came with a broken pin, but it doesn't matter as I could use any PC one with the supplied barrel PSU, and anyway I prefer to use the microUSB port for power.

Changing the language to English was pretty hard but I managed to do so thanks to the instructions here.

Mister looks really good in it, 4:3 with 2048x1536, and it sounds fine.
GeoNeo

Unread post by GeoNeo »

Got the display it's very nice. Quick Question should the cores like MegaDrive have border around them? I'm guessing so for integer scaling. :D
GeoNeo

Unread post by GeoNeo »

Anyone having issues with CPS2 cores losing sync at 2048x1536?
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

you have to use the vsync_adjust=0

and borders can be an issue because of the resolution but if you use vscale_mode=0 you should have almost all fit the screen.
GeoNeo

Unread post by GeoNeo »

neogeo81 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:23 pm you have to use the vsync_adjust=0

and borders can be an issue because of the resolution but if you use vscale_mode=0 you should have almost all fit the screen.
Do you run VSYNC_Adjust=0 for all cores or only the problem ones? I noticed with PSX core it runs fine with VSYNC_Adjust=2 for low input lag.

I ended up ordering a shorter Mini HDMI to HDMI cable too. :lol:
AmanoJacu

GeoNeo wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:01 pm I ended up ordering a shorter Mini HDMI to HDMI cable too. :lol:
I got mine last week and it all worked well. I did the exact same thing, since the included cable didn't work and my old one was 3m long, I just bought a 1m cable. However, I just tried it and it didn't work, and to my surprise, the old one isn't working anymore. Some times the screen powers on briefly, then shuts down again. I tried different PSUs, both USB and the one included, result is the same.

Tomorrow I'll try other HDMI devices in the screen, I hope it didn't die on me.
GeoNeo

Unread post by GeoNeo »

Anyone know of the best video mode calculator for Mister I want custom 50Hz.

video_mode=2048,48,32,80,1350,3,10,19,183087

This is 60Hz.
AmanoJacu wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:05 pm
GeoNeo wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:01 pm I ended up ordering a shorter Mini HDMI to HDMI cable too. :lol:
I got mine last week and it all worked well. I did the exact same thing, since the included cable didn't work and my old one was 3m long, I just bought a 1m cable. However, I just tried it and it didn't work, and to my surprise, the old one isn't working anymore. Some times the screen powers on briefly, then shuts down again. I tried different PSUs, both USB and the one included, result is the same.

Tomorrow I'll try other HDMI devices in the screen, I hope it didn't die on me.
Maybe the cable came loose inside? I opened my one up the other night and here is photo of the chipset it is using.

IMG-0346.jpg
IMG-0346.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 16897 times
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

GeoNeo wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:01 pm
neogeo81 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:23 pm you have to use the vsync_adjust=0

Do you run VSYNC_Adjust=0 for all cores or only the problem ones? I noticed with PSX core it runs fine with VSYNC_Adjust=2 for low input lag.

I ended up ordering a shorter Mini HDMI to HDMI cable too. :lol:
you can setup vsync 0 for all and other settings for individual cores. but i must say i am satisfied with running all with 0.
AmanoJacu

GeoNeo wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:40 am Maybe the cable came loose inside? I opened my one up the other night and here is photo of the chipset it is using.
Well, I have tried my raspberry PI, and to my surprise, it works with the new mini-hdmi cable, but it has the same issues as the mister (intermittent power on and off) when using the old cable. And when I use the mister, the old cable has the intermittent issue, and the new one doesn't output any video.

I have tried VSYNC_Adjust=0, and for about a minute the mister (old cable) worked OK, but then started the intermittent issue.

I just don't understand why it worked last week with the old cable. In the meantime I used update_all on the mister, maybe the issue is there? :?:

I'll open the screen next, I don't think I'll be sending it back to aliexpress anyway, not worth the hassle for that price.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

GeoNeo wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:35 am Anyone having issues with CPS2 cores losing sync at 2048x1536?
Some boards will not work at native (2048x1536) resolution and sync = 0.
Try with a lower res or sync = 2.
AmanoJacu

GeoNeo wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:40 am Maybe the cable came loose inside? I opened my one up the other night and here is photo of the chipset it is using.
I opened mine and the chipset is exactly the same, I don't see any loose cable. I have tried more devices, and the PCengine mini and megadrive mini work in the screen with the new mini-HDMI cable, but gives lower resolution and some flickering with the old one.

I also tried sync=0 and sync=1 with the same results.

This is the new cable I bought, is there any reason it doesn't work in my mister with this screen?

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B087279RBT/

As I said, raspberry PI and 2 mini consoles work fine in the screen with this cable. And I have tried the cable with the Neo Geo mini (which has a mini-hdmi port) in a regular HDMI monitor and it works too.

Does anybody think the amazon basics cable will work?

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B014I8UAPE/

It is mentioned in the description and a comment that this cable is not bi-directional and only one end can go to the monitor, which should be the regular HDMI connector.

Any suggestion for any cable that might work? I'm still puzzled the new one I bought works with everything, except for connecting the mister to this mini-screen.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

We had people that had to try 3-4 cables until they found one that worked. HDMI is a mess for the consumer, just like USB-C. The one I use is an AmazonBasics one, but there are of course many variants there too. My cable is super short since I have it connect to a MiSTer that is directly below it, so it probably wouldn’t work for you, or I would send you a link to the same one.
GeoNeo

Unread post by GeoNeo »

AmanoJacu wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:09 pm
I opened mine and the chipset is exactly the same, I don't see any loose cable. I have tried more devices, and the PCengine mini and megadrive mini work in the screen with the new mini-HDMI cable, but gives lower resolution and some flickering with the old one.

I also tried sync=0 and sync=1 with the same results.

This is the new cable I bought, is there any reason it doesn't work in my mister with this screen?

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B087279RBT/

As I said, raspberry PI and 2 mini consoles work fine in the screen with this cable. And I have tried the cable with the Neo Geo mini (which has a mini-hdmi port) in a regular HDMI monitor and it works too.

Does anybody think the amazon basics cable will work?

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B014I8UAPE/

It is mentioned in the description and a comment that this cable is not bi-directional and only one end can go to the monitor, which should be the regular HDMI connector.

Any suggestion for any cable that might work? I'm still puzzled the new one I bought works with everything, except for connecting the mister to this mini-screen.
The Amazon Basic cables are very good try them.
limi wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:25 pm We had people that had to try 3-4 cables until they found one that worked. HDMI is a mess for the consumer, just like USB-C. The one I use is an AmazonBasics one, but there are of course many variants there too. My cable is super short since I have it connect to a MiSTer that is directly below it, so it probably wouldn’t work for you, or I would send you a link to the same one.

What settings do you use with your iPad screen and Mister?
AmanoJacu

limi wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:25 pm We had people that had to try 3-4 cables until they found one that worked. HDMI is a mess for the consumer, just like USB-C. The one I use is an AmazonBasics one, but there are of course many variants there too. My cable is super short since I have it connect to a MiSTer that is directly below it, so it probably wouldn’t work for you, or I would send you a link to the same one.
Thanks for your help, would you mind sending the link anyway, so I have a look and look for a similar one? I actually don't need a long one either.

By the way, is there some setting in the screen or the mister that would help?
GeoNeo

Unread post by GeoNeo »

AmanoJacu wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:06 am
Thanks for your help, would you mind sending the link anyway, so I have a look and look for a similar one? I actually don't need a long one either.

By the way, is there some setting in the screen or the mister that would help?
I've been running at 1920x1440p along with the custom 6 x Integer scale. Looks great.

https://github.com/atrac17/MiSTer_Integ ... _alt_1.ini

I'm getting the Amazon basics cable in the mail today I'll test that out too.
AmanoJacu

GeoNeo wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:32 am I've been running at 1920x1440p along with the custom 6 x Integer scale. Looks great.

https://github.com/atrac17/MiSTer_Integ ... _alt_1.ini

I'm getting the Amazon basics cable in the mail today I'll test that out too.
After many trials with what I've got, I've reached the conclusion that both the screen and the new HDMI cable work well, it's just that for some reason, the screen won't get any video from the mister through that cable. The old HDMI cable worked right when I first tested it, but now it doesn't work well with the msister or any other HDMI device.

I have just ordered the amazon basics cable and I'll get it tomorrow, I hope it works, otherwise I'll return one cable.
stap

Unread post by stap »

metalfacemark wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:14 pm Any idea on how to change to English ? I’ve gone through each setting and can’t seem to find it ?
If your current language is chinese, use this order of pressing the buttons:

Menu, Down, Down, Down,
Menu, Down, Down, Down,
Menu, Up, Up,
Menu, Power, Power.

Menu appears only if HDMI source is connected.
Menu should pop up at the bottom right corner by default with the first "Menu" button pressed and look like this:

photo_2022-05-26_23-16-20.jpg
photo_2022-05-26_23-16-20.jpg (96.38 KiB) Viewed 16785 times
AmanoJacu

I just got the amazon basics mini-hdmi cable, and it works with my mister and this screen (the previous new cable I had got, worked with everything but for connecting my mister to this screen). However, from time to time randomly it goes black and recovers again in like 1-2 seconds. I still haven't tested it a lot, but it looks like it happens the most in the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo core, which is the game I play the most, and presumably all other Jotego cores. The rest of the cores I have tried, they don't seem to have any problem.

I have tried all vsync modes 2, 1 and 0, so I'll stick to 0 as appearently is the most stable one, and I don't notice the lag anyway.
sonik

Unread post by sonik »

Use lower resolution.
I have this problem too and I could not find a fix to it. For me it happens in all jotego cores.
I want to try a new firmware but the risk of loosing the only ipad screen I have is too much for me.
AmanoJacu

sonik wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:37 pm Use lower resolution.
I have this problem too and I could not find a fix to it. For me it happens in all jotego cores.
I want to try a new firmware but the risk of loosing the only ipad screen I have is too much for me.
The point of the screen is to use the maximum resolution 4:3 of the mister, but I do agree in such a small screen it might not do any difference. So if I still have problems with certain cores I'll just do that.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

AmanoJacu wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:09 pm I'm still puzzled the new one I bought works with everything, except for connecting the mister to this mini-screen.
Usually because those other devices connected to the screen do not run at 2048×1536, they run at lower resolutions and get upscaled by the display. If you have e.g. a computer connected, see if it will work with that resolution with the old cable — I predict it will have the same issue, since it can’t handle that bandwidth requirement.
AmanoJacu

limi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:15 pm Usually because those other devices connected to the screen do not run at 2048×1536, they run at lower resolutions and get upscaled by the display. If you have e.g. a computer connected, see if it will work with that resolution with the old cable — I predict it will have the same issue, since it can’t handle that bandwidth requirement.
I have done so many trials with multiple devices and their combinations that I'm not entirely sure, but I think the first mini-hdmi cable I got (IVANKY brand) worked fine at 2048x1536 resolution in this screen using both my PC and the steam deck. I can try it again tomorrow. What I'm sure is that this IVANKY cable never worked at all with this screen and the mister, not even using the 720p resolution ini.

After doing some more tests with the amazon basics cable and SSF2X core, when using vsync=0, I can play most of the time and occasionally I get a brief black screen once in the first minutes of playing, then it is fine. Using vsync 1 or 2, the black screens happen more often and it is not playable, so I'll stick to vsync=0.

I have also used 1920x1440 vsync=2 and I think I never got a blackscreen, but my ini for it has scaling set to only integer (vscale=1) because I use it with my 1440p monitor, and it gets both horizontal and vertical black bars in this screen, and with its small size they are noticeable, and I guess the screen has to upscale it to 2048x1536 anyway. I could change the ini properties but I have all 4 inis already set up for the different resolutions of my monitors to 720p vscale=1, 1080p vscale=0, 1440p vscale=1 and 1536p vscale=0. The first 3 have vsync=2 and the last vsync=0, just for this screen.
stap

Unread post by stap »

limi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:15 pm
AmanoJacu wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:09 pm I'm still puzzled the new one I bought works with everything, except for connecting the mister to this mini-screen.
Usually because those other devices connected to the screen do not run at 2048×1536, they run at lower resolutions and get upscaled by the display. If you have e.g. a computer connected, see if it will work with that resolution with the old cable — I predict it will have the same issue, since it can’t handle that bandwidth requirement.
Well, I've tried using the supplied hdmi to hdmi-mini cable both with my PC and laptop -- both work, showing the picture at 2048x1536, but not the MiSTer: using the video_mode=13 and vsync_adjust=0 sadly shows me a black screen.
limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

That’s certainly interesting. HDMI, such a mess. 😄
KnightNZ

Unread post by KnightNZ »

Has someone worked out a relatively "safe" process for flashing the Laserbear firmware to one of the RTD2556T boards?
stap

Unread post by stap »

stap wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:44 pm
Well, I've tried using the supplied hdmi to hdmi-mini cable both with my PC and laptop -- both work, showing the picture at 2048x1536, but not the MiSTer: using the video_mode=13 and vsync_adjust=0 sadly shows me a black screen.
Funny thing: the MiSTer output to monitor supplied hdmi to hdmi-mini cable works if connected through an HDMI-splitter no matter what mode I use: video_mode=8, video_mode=13, vsync_adjust=0, vsync_adjust=1.
GeoNeo

Unread post by GeoNeo »

stap wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:59 pm

Funny thing: the MiSTer output to monitor supplied hdmi to hdmi-mini cable works if connected through an HDMI-splitter no matter what mode I use: video_mode=8, video_mode=13, vsync_adjust=0, vsync_adjust=1.
So you're using a HDMI Splitter and it syncs video mode 13 without blanking issues?
stap

Unread post by stap »

GeoNeo wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:31 pm
stap wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:59 pm

So you're using a HDMI Splitter and it syncs video mode 13 without blanking issues?
Looks like HDMI Splitter is the reason I've got the picture at all with that cable.
Some testing with PSX core showed that vsync_adjust=1 causes the screen to occasionally lose sync for short periods of time. Cores with native refresh rate more than 60 Hz (like WonderSwan core) obviously won't show picture at all. vsync_adjust=0 is stable though. So, I'm gonna keep it this way.
chromium

Unread post by chromium »

Just got one of these, the menu on mine is different to what I've seen posted above, it has icons.

I really like it, it does 50Hz and looks great, sadly there's some distracting backlight bleed at the top which is really visible on black backgrounds.

I guess you can't have everything :) I don't suppose anything can be done about it?

I've been using vsync_adjust=2 and most things are ok so far. It takes a while to show the image when I start a core, but once I'm in it's stable, apart from cores where the res switches, like PSX going from 240p to 480i, but that's to be expected