C64 Joystick Issue

RiotRay

C64 Joystick Issue

Unread post by RiotRay »

Hi!

Until recently everything worked fine here with the c64 mister core. Just now I noticed that I can't "swap" the joystick ports. I have just one joystick connected to mister and it seemts that it will always register as joystick in port 2 of the c64. I've tried to connect an aditional joystick, but after that swapping the joystick in the core menu meant, that the new joystick now plugs in port 2 of the c64.
I want my joystick to be plugged into port 1!

What am I doing wrong here??
thx
yellperil

Re: C64 Joystick Issue

Unread post by yellperil »

I am having the same issue.

It appears the latest core [C64_20211020.rbf] is broken.

The previous core works just fine.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/C64_MiS ... 210803.rbf
CeeDeeVee

Unread post by CeeDeeVee »

Yes it appears that the latest core has broken the joystick. However, I only have an issue when running .prg on the c64 .crt seem to work still (although I needed to re-define buttons for it. This has me intrigued as I've written a c64 program in machine code just to read the joystick port and it somehow doesn't work when loaded as a .prg (the program runs and all other elements, custom chars, sprites and sounds work -just nothing on the joystick port) but somehow is fine when loaded from a .crt! When this gets fixed I really want to know how that was possible...
Yorkshire fella, living in California, where no one understands a word I say unless it's a quote from Game of Thrones.
I do music, code and burn myself with soldering irons. Part dog, part wolf, all coffee addict.
CeeDeeVee

Unread post by CeeDeeVee »

Who else is having this issue?
Yorkshire fella, living in California, where no one understands a word I say unless it's a quote from Game of Thrones.
I do music, code and burn myself with soldering irons. Part dog, part wolf, all coffee addict.
Braini

Unread post by Braini »

I do, in a way, or another one related to Joysticks with the C64 core.
Got my Mister set up this week and fought with the Joystick in the C64 core yesterday until I saw your comment.

The behavior on my side was that in whatever way I tried to configure the Joystick/the buttons (also with keyboard emulation) the games seemed to pause (really strange, just everything except the sound pauses) when I tried to move to the right, i.e. pressed the right d-pad button.
In other cores (SNES, Minimig) it worked totally fine.

I wasn't sure what to make of it and was not able to fix it until I reverted to the core from August you posted above, now works fine.
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

I am also having joystick issues . Some games work Most don't.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

The issue seems to be solved:
Sorgelig wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:12 am C64:
It seems I/O ports are used in prohibited modes where output pins with active drivers for 1 are driving low by either disk (Transwarp loader) or by joysticks (some games). I wonder how many CIA/VIA chips got broken because of that? Anyway, this release keeps workaround for Transwarp and reverts changes of other CIA ports to allow reading output pins states and fix joysticks for games using CIA in prohibited mode.
Braini

Unread post by Braini »

It is, thanks a lot!
SpoonyUK

Unread post by SpoonyUK »

Thanks for that link to previous c64 core, been having a nightmare with the new core. certain games pausing, joystick acting weird on core and on osd. gone back to the one mentioned above and all problems have gone.