MiSTer FPGA Logo Use

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
JasenHicks

MiSTer FPGA Logo Use

Unread post by JasenHicks »

What is considered fair use for the Mister FPGA Logo? Id like to better understand the rules for the project logo so I don't use it inappropriately on a case I am prototyping. I see a lot of people using it, selling stickers of it, etc. but it's not clear if it's OK to use it without permission or appropriate licensing. Any clarification would be awesome. Thanks!
Sorgelig
Site Admin

Re: MiSTer FPGA Logo Use

Unread post by Sorgelig »

Of course permission is required as for any logo.
MiSTer logo belongs to MiSTer project and can be put only on hardware using official boards with may be possible minor modifications requiring to fit the whole HW into some case.
It's not always possible to describe the whole range where logo can be used or not. Stickers are ok since they don't carry any specific use. Cases accommodating standard MiSTer boards are in most cases are ok too. MiSTer is basically royalty free, but donations are welcome.

What is definitely not OK for logo are those AIO boards with many potential incompatibilities and non-flexibilities. MiSTer is designed as modular HW where some parts can be modified through the time without requirement to change the whole HW.
MrChatouille

Re: MiSTer FPGA Logo Use

Unread post by MrChatouille »

I have a related question.

Is it ok to sell products with the mister logo on it ?

For example a poster

misterlogoposternew.jpg
misterlogoposternew.jpg (235.53 KiB) Viewed 2083 times

Thanks