Add Games to MegaAGS?

vraskin

Add Games to MegaAGS?

Unread post by vraskin »

Hi all. I'm having trouble figuring out how to copy over games to the MegaAGS drive. Specifically, I am trying to update the latest distribution with MT32-Pi support as per this post viewtopic.php?t=2529. I've successfully gotten the MT32 versions onto the "Amiga" via the shared folder and I'm trying to figure out where to copy them using Direct Opus, but I'm not sure if I should be copying the entire folder for each game or just specific files or what. Has anyone else done this?

Thank you!

limi
Top Contributor

Re: Add Games to MegaAGS?

Unread post by limi »

You should be able to just drop the (unzipped) files provided in that thread to your shared folder and run them from Workbench.

If you’re asking how to add them to the game selector, that’s a bit more involved, and is in fact already done for the upcoming next release of the MegaAGS script — so it will be fixed if you have some patience.
vraskin

Unread post by vraskin »

Oh, nice! Yeah I'm totally fine waiting. I saw references to a new version coming out at some point but nothing concrete. Thanks for all the hard work you put into this by the way!
hitm4n

Unread post by hitm4n »

Hi limi. Do you have a page somewhere, or forum thread where you mention the MegaAGS news or do you just pop in here and announce a new version each time? Is it just here (MiSTer forum) that you mention it or do you talk about it elsewhere too. Many thanks for creating MegaAGS btw, its my gateway to reliving Amiga games and it works beautifully.

I've just grabbed the 22-02-2022 version, still need to update the files on my MiSTer, but i'm looking forward to trying it out. Would be really great to understand whats new in this release (hence the "where do you talk about this" questions), whether its just added games or theres been fixes and changes along the way.

Regards.
clarkkent

Unread post by clarkkent »

Can you post the link where to download the lastest MegaAGS?

Edit: Found
wmd

Unread post by wmd »

I have the latest MegaAGS installed on my MiSTer. Can you please link to the instructions on how to add a new game to it? I just bought Reshoot Proxima 3 and want to add it to MegaAGS. The game has it's own HDD installer, but obviously that will only install to a new folder, not MegaAGS.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

The easiest way to add games that will survive upgrades is to use the “Favorite” function on an existing game, and edit those files to point at your new install (also put that one on MegaAGS-Saves.hdf to make it survive upgrades. So, roughly, something like this:

1. Install your game using the HD installer, put it somewhere on Saves:

2. From the launcher, find any entry (e.g. “Turrican”) and hit Tab or the tertiary button to add it to your favorites.

3. Using CygnusEd (or an Amiga text editor of your choice) to change the information in the three files that are in the Favorites directory on the Saves: drive (I can’t remember the exact path, but you should be able to find them).

4. The entry is a .txt file with all the metadata for the launcher, a .run file that is what is run when you select an entry, and an IFF file which is the screenshot for the game. Update all these to reflect your newly installed game, and rename the files to the title of the game.

Enjoy a custom entry in the Favorites section for your new game!

wmd

Unread post by wmd »

OK, thanks for the info. That all makes sense, and I have modified the .txt file with the appropriate metadata and have changed the .run file as follows:

Code: Select all

execute "AGS:Run/Game/ReshootProxima3"

However, when I select this entry in AGS, I get the error:

EXECUTE: Can't open AGS:Run/Game/ReshootProxima3
object not found
execute failed returncode 10

The game folder is stored in: Data/WHD/G/R/ReshootProxima3

wmd

Unread post by wmd »

Also, I can not get the screenshot to display correctly in AGS:

bIcev79.jpg
bIcev79.jpg (91.79 KiB) Viewed 1188 times

I tried saving compressed and uncompressed from GIMP2 and Paint Shop Pro 6 but still same result.

edit: fixed this issue, needed to save as 8-bit

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

wmd wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:44 pm

execute "AGS:Run/Game/ReshootProxima3"

The game folder is stored in: Data/WHD/G/R/ReshootProxima3

Point the execute command to the binary you run to start the game. And, I highly recommend doing all this on Saves: so it will survive upgrading the main HDF.

wmd

Unread post by wmd »

OK, I moved the ReshootProxima3 folder to "Saves/WHDSaves/MyGames/ReshootProxima3/". What is the exact syntax that should be in the .run file? I tried the following but am still getting the object not found error:

execute "Saves/WHDSaves/MyGames/ReshootProxima3/reshootProxima3"

The "reshootProxima3" is the executable in that folder. When I double click on it in the Amiga desktop the game loads as it should.

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

If it’s a binary that can ble launched from the command line, you can drop the execute command.

wmd

Unread post by wmd »

Tried that, with and without the quotes, and get the error: "Unknown command. failed returncode 10".

limi
Top Contributor

Unread post by limi »

Then it’s not pointing to the correct binary. Sorry, a bit hard to troubleshoot remotely. The first thing you should make sure to do is that you can actually run the game from the command line. Boot into Workbench, open AmigaShell, and use it to navigate to the directory where the game is installed. Once you find the correct file to make the game start, make note of its path and put the entire thing in the .run file.

wmd

Unread post by wmd »

The folks over at the English Amiga Board kindly helped to fix this. Simply change the .run file to this:

Saves:WHDSaves/MyGames/ReshootProxima3/rp3.bin
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

Franko the crazy revenge needs to be added to this!