Upgraded Power Supplies

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
rcade

Upgraded Power Supplies

Unread post by rcade »

I have a box of 4A/20W power supplies that work great with the MiSTer (and may other projects that use 5V DC).

This allows you to have more high current USB devices such as RGB keyboards, Wifi or Bluetooth dongles, or even USB hard drives on your MiSTer.

The standard light-duty 2A power supply that the DE10 Nano comes with is not up to spec to handle this and may cause instability under load.

These are Delta Electronics name-brand trusted power supplies made for commercial or home use. They are heavy-duty with an actual transformer in it and not just an empty case with a tiny switcher in it that will burn up on you or cause core crashing.

These power supplies were left over from another project I completed, and originally were used with XFinity DVR units. I realized after looking around that I had a box full of them. They all appear unused or lightly used. I tested each one under full load on my MiSTer with no problems.

NOTE: DO NOT USE in-line power switches on the DC side with this or any other device on your MiSTer. It causes a voltage drop over time and you will damage the MiSTer and/or the connectors, and possibly start a fire. I know when I used one the plug at the back of the MiSTer was hot to the touch and the plastic started to smell melted from starving the voltage too low.

It comes with the adapter and a IEC320 figure 8 power cord.

Asking $20 each, and I can ship in the continental US for $5.

Any questions, just ask!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rcade

Re: Upgraded Power Supplies

Unread post by rcade »

I have a few left. Will ship them free in the US...
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Oh, I saw this thread before I signed up and had been meaning to ask (and will, now that I have) if you are warning about power switches like the one sold here, which seem fairly common in the community.

And in the case of my MiSTer, its BlisSTer board has a built-in switch, which I wonder if you'd find problematic.
she/her
rcade

Unread post by rcade »

Wave wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:45 am Oh, I saw this thread before I signed up and had been meaning to ask (and will, now that I have) if you are warning about power switches like the one sold here, which seem fairly common in the community.

And in the case of my MiSTer, its BlisSTer board has a built-in switch, which I wonder if you'd find problematic.
I don't know if they differ in quality, but these look exactly like the ones people have problems with. Over time they oxidize inside the switch and drop the voltage too low.

The one in the Blisster board may be better quality.
Justgoonies

Unread post by Justgoonies »

Do you have any of these power supplies still available?
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

So what is the actual consensus on the original PSU? Asking because I've heard different opinions - that it's fine for USB board with many things connected (like HDD /WIFI / etc) or that no, you should get an upgraded one (like in the OP).