MiSTer Consolizer Case

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
OnCor

MiSTer Consolizer Case

Unread post by OnCor »

Hello fellow MiSTer enthusiasts! First off I apologize for the long post. Feel free to skip to the end if it's tl;dr. ;) Early last year I picked up a 3D printer with the hopes of being able to print a case for my poor, naked DE-10 Nano. I've had my MiSTer for years and never took the plunge on a case for it. Honestly I wasn’t really that excited about the available options. I have a small collection of old game consoles and wanted an enclosure that offered protection for the electronics, but also made it feel like it fit in with the other systems on the shelf. Furthermore, I like to use a 2.5" hard drive for cheap storage (especially now with the PSX and Saturn cores on the horizon) and most cases don't accommodate those. After figuring out how to operate my printer and the slicer software, I started working on a design for this new "consolizer" box.

It can be hard to get a 3D print to look smooth like an actual injection molded part, so I knew I would need to come up with a case design that had some texture in order to hide that. I really liked the look of the PlayStation 2's "ribbed" shell with the alternating bumps and recesses and decided to try a design that mimicked that. I found that if I angled the edges of the bumps slightly then supports would not be necessary to print them. It also gave the box a more unique look relative to other consoles in my collection. To help hide the lines of the first layer and to simulate the rough surface on the top of the PS2 I upgraded to a textured sheet on my printer bed. That was definitely a win-win!

At first I started with a square box, but then I thought up some other shapes that would work with the same wall profile. I ended up with four designs total: a square box, a square box with beveled edges, a Supergrafx-shaped box, and an octagonal box. By using a 3D printer there are a ton of options for colors/finishes of material which is a nice. I've mostly printed with PLA which is fairly easy to use. Each box has a bottom plate where the components (FPGA, 2.5” hard drive, fan, and USB hub) mount to that fits inside the top shell. The shell itself is one piece without any seams which helps to keep the appearance “clean”.

I wanted to make sure that my case used off the shelf parts which were easy to find and replace should they fail. Plus I already had the main components for my set up and wanted to keep the cost as low as possible. I found a fairly reasonable USB hub (available on eBay and AliExpress) with 5 vertical ports on one side and 2 horizontal ports on the other that seemed well suited for the project. I figured this would allow the hub to connect to the DE-10 Nano and some other components internally and would also give 5 ports coming out of the back of the box for controllers and other external devices. The outer shell was easily removable which allowed me to take the circuit board out and mount it to the bottom plate with screws which was a bonus. In the meanwhile, I also sourced all the cables I would need to interface with the FPGA from outside of the box like Ethernet, SD card, and SNAC extensions as well as a power adapter splitter with switch to power the DE-10 and USB hub simultaneously. Unfortunately after getting my hands on a number of the USB hubs I discovered that some ran at USB 2.0 speeds (480Mbps) while others only ran at 1.1 (12Mbps). The worst part is that they all looked the same from the outside and there was no way to tell the two apart without looking at the circuit board. :(
s-l1600.jpg
At this point I figured I would be limited in the number of boxes I could make using the hubs I had on hand that were 2.0 because I couldn’t find a reliable source that could guarantee me I wouldn’t get the 1.1 version. The hub was the heart of the “consolizer” and my ideal one was no longer ideal. Feeling a little defeated and frustrated by the situation, I started researching USB hub design. I located a low cost USB controller chip that I could use for a no-frills hub designed specifically for my case. Using KiCad (a program for designing circuit boards) I designed a replacement hub for my case. I ordered some components from Mouser and circuit boards from JLCPCB (highly recommended if you need a PCB, their service is excellent). I soldered everything together and the hub worked as expected. The project was alive once again!
USB Hub.jpg
Around the time I finished putting the new hub together I discovered the TTY2OLED project for MiSTer from the uber-talented user Venice. This clever bit of code executed on an Arduino-type device allows MiSTer to display images on an OLED screen based off the core you launch. This was such a cool add-on that I knew I needed to integrate it into the front of my box. I purchased the parts for one and cobbled it together using some jumper wires. It functioned fine, but looked like a rat’s nest inside of the case. It was also very prone to having one of those wires pop off which was not good. Since I had some experience designing PCBs under my belt, I decided to create an adapter board that would interface a NodeMCU module to an OLED screen using sockets. Problem solved!
NodeMCU To OLED.jpg
Aside from some more aesthetic “tweaks” here and there and possibly some new designs to come, I feel like my cases are mostly complete at this point. The current design supports a DE-10 Nano with an official analog I/O board. Given how many consoles, computers, and arcade machines the MiSTer supports now, I dubbed my project the “MEGA (MiSTer Entertainment Gaming Accessory) Super System”. I designed a background for the menu screen as well as one for the OLED display.
menu.jpg
Here are some samples of each design. Feedback is definitely appreciated. :)

Paramount Iron Red PLA
IMG_4059 - Copy.jpg
Paramount Cadet Blue PLA
IMG_4051 - Copy.jpg
Paramount Battleship Gray PLA
IMG_4037 - Copy.jpg
eSun Silk Gold PLA
IMG_4060 - Copy.jpg
I also put together an assembly guide that shows how the boxes are put together. It shows more detail of the interior/exterior of the case.
MEGA Super System Assembly Guide.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flandango
Core Developer

Re: MiSTer Consolizer Case

Unread post by Flandango »

Nice work!
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

Flandango wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:48 amNice work!
Thanks! It has definitely been a good learning experience.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

OnCor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:30 am I really liked the look of the PlayStation 2's shell with the alternating bumps and recesses and decided to try a design that mimicked that.
I read it all from the start and did not look at the pics until after.
I was quite confused about the bumbs/recesses thing and could for the life of me not think about what the H :twisted: you meant at all.

Then came the pics and aaaahhh :idea: you meant the ribbed design, which i would think is a way better way of describing it.

Otherwise nice work and looks damn good!
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

grizzly wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:16 am I read it all from the start and did not look at the pics until after.
I was quite confused about the bumbs/recesses thing and could for the life of me not think about what the H :twisted: you meant at all.

Then came the pics and aaaahhh :idea: you meant the ribbed design, which i would think is a way better way of describing it.

Otherwise nice work and looks damn good!
Sorry about that. "Ribbed" was probably a better way to describe the PS2's shell. LOL! I added that to the post. I guess that's why they say a picture is worth a thousand words right? :D

TY for the feedback!
drgruney

Unread post by drgruney »

That second box looks GREAT. I really like this.

I've been looking at the Ironclad Mini ITX board.

But now you have me wanting to dust off my hub board designs. You use far fewer capacitors than I was. Much cleaner looking design that what I've come up with.
Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 10.53.18 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

drgruney wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:48 pm That second box looks GREAT. I really like this.

I've been looking at the Ironclad Mini ITX board.

But now you have me wanting to dust off my hub board designs. You use far fewer capacitors than I was. Much cleaner looking design that what I've come up with.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 10.53.18 AM.png
I definitely appreciate the kind words. :) If you are really interested in that blue box it is possible to make another one. I have quite a few spare parts on hand. Send me a PM and I can give you the specifics. I am also going to be posting some other cases in different colors later today that I printed in advance which will be available for sale.

As far as your hub goes, it does seem a bit more complicated than mine. Of course it's all dependent on the controller chip. Mine is based off the SL2.1A.
drgruney

OnCor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:43 pm As far as your hub goes, it does seem a bit more complicated than mine. Of course it's all dependent on the controller chip. Mine is based off the SL2.1A.
Mine is a TI TUSB2077A48. Mine is basically the reference design. I'm sure I can safely cut the number of caps down significantly.

I'll take a look at the chip you have. It seems similar to the GL850G.

Keep an eye out for a message :) I have the bare nano and analog board, with nothing else.
drgruney

I dove in to the SL2.1A ... and I cannot figure out why the datasheet calls for a capacitor at each USB port linking the 5v and GND busses. Electrically it's the same as just having one. Are you aware of the purpose?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I love how nineties those designs look. Even reminds me of Silicon Graphics computers with those colors. Now we need a Silicon Graphics Core :D
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

drgruney wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:58 pm I dove in to the SL2.1A ... and I cannot figure out why the datasheet calls for a capacitor at each USB port linking the 5v and GND busses. Electrically it's the same as just having one. Are you aware of the purpose?
I had come across the blurb below in this document from the USB.org site. Even though it's for motherboards, I'm sure the principle is the same. I just went with what the data sheet for the SL2.1a indicated, but it seems like a single capacitor might be suitable.
Capacitor.png
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:49 pm I love how nineties those designs look. Even reminds me of Silicon Graphics computers with those colors. Now we need a Silicon Graphics Core :D
Those SG computers were very colorful. The 90's was a magical time. :D The nice thing about 3D printing is that there are so many different filaments out there it can be almost overwhelming. I've mostly stuck with colors that remind me of typical consoles (Famicom red, NES gray, Supergrafx greenish-gray, etc.), but I do plan on experimenting with other colors and even maybe the transparent filaments too.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

OnCor wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:11 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:49 pm I love how nineties those designs look. Even reminds me of Silicon Graphics computers with those colors. Now we need a Silicon Graphics Core :D
Those SG computers were very colorful. The 90's was a magical time. :D The nice thing about 3D printing is that there are so many different filaments out there it can be almost overwhelming. I've mostly stuck with colors that remind me of typical consoles (Famicom red, NES gray, Supergrafx greenish-gray, etc.), but I do plan on experimenting with other colors and even maybe the transparent filaments too.
I was lucky to have worked a bit with and around SGI computers in the nineties (Indigo, Onyx, Crimson, Indy), those colors and designs made the machines look much more interesting than the basic beige housings of most other computer brands. The Onyx had a little LCD display on which it showed the activity of its eight CPUs.

My previous MiSTer case was partly made out of transparent orange filament, it has a bit of glitter, it looks really nice. The seller on eBay (dirkthedaring) said I could select a reel of filament at an online shop for him to buy. That was really kind.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:15 am I was lucky to have worked a bit with and around SGI computers in the nineties (Indigo, Onyx, Crimson, Indy), those colors and designs made the machines look much more interesting than the basic beige housings of most other computer brands. The Onyx had a little LCD display on which it showed the activity of its eight CPUs.
It's amazing how much more appealing some things are just by having different colors available. Cars are a good example of that. Apple has done really well with their computers/iPads/iPhones by offering them in different colors.
My previous MiSTer case was partly made out of transparent orange filament, it has a bit of glitter, it looks really nice. The seller on eBay (dirkthedaring) said I could select a reel of filament at an online shop for him to buy. That was really kind.
I'm hoping if there's enough interest in producing these cases to sell that I might be able to offer custom options like that. The challenging part with filament is that different brands/types print differently. I've spent a lot of time tweaking settings in my slicer program to print these cases in order to minimize stringing and any imperfections in the print. Sticking with certain reputable brands can definitely help with consistency though.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

Hi all. I have some kits available for sale in the US. They are listed on eBay and you can see them here. Please PM if interested. Thanks!

drgruney

OnCor wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:01 am I had come across the blurb below in this document from the USB.org site. Even though it's for motherboards, I'm sure the principle is the same. I just went with what the data sheet for the SL2.1a indicated, but it seems like a single capacitor might be suitable.

Capacitor.png
GOOD INFO! Thanks.

I have 90% of the work done to make my own console ... but man yours is so clean and straightforward. You're trying to pry my money out of my wallet!!!
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

drgruney wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:34 pm GOOD INFO! Thanks.

I have 90% of the work done to make my own console ... but man yours is so clean and straightforward. You're trying to pry my money out of my wallet!!!
No problem! :) If you're already 90% of the way to your own custom case it totally makes sense to finish that. It's a pretty rewarding feeling to create something special like that. My cases are for folks who don't have the time, equipment, or expertise to do it. Honestly if something like this were available before I started on designing these boxes I probably would've just bought one. I was very tempted to get the aluminum case from MiSTer Addons, but those types of cases just seem so small and boxy. Plus I couldn't put a HDD or screen in there which are my favorite parts of my cases.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

OnCor wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:33 am
LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:15 am I was lucky to have worked a bit with and around SGI computers in the nineties (Indigo, Onyx, Crimson, Indy), those colors and designs made the machines look much more interesting than the basic beige housings of most other computer brands. The Onyx had a little LCD display on which it showed the activity of its eight CPUs.
It's amazing how much more appealing some things are just by having different colors available. Cars are a good example of that. Apple has done really well with their computers/iPads/iPhones by offering them in different colors.
I agree. The most popular car colors here are grey, black and white, it is so boring.
I'm hoping if there's enough interest in producing these cases to sell that I might be able to offer custom options like that. The challenging part with filament is that different brands/types print differently. I've spent a lot of time tweaking settings in my slicer program to print these cases in order to minimize stringing and any imperfections in the print. Sticking with certain reputable brands can definitely help with consistency though.
I can imagine that, I don't have a 3D printer myself, but I often read that a lot of tweaking is needed to get good prints.

I expect there to be a good amount of interest in your cases, they are quite elegant and clean. Do you have any plans to add the MiSTer LEDs and buttons to the case?
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:55 pm I agree. The most popular car colors here are grey, black and white, it is so boring.
Same thing here. I can kind of understand wanting something light like white or silver if you don't want dirt to show and hate washing your car. However, black paint shows everything and gets super hot in the sun. Definitely not ideal in my book. :roll:
I can imagine that, I don't have a 3D printer myself, but I often read that a lot of tweaking is needed to get good prints.

I expect there to be a good amount of interest in your cases, they are quite elegant and clean. Do you have any plans to add the MiSTer LEDs and buttons to the case?
I really struggled with this early on in my design. Everything the buttons do can be handled through the menus using a keyboard or controller. Plus adding buttons to the case increases the complexity of assembling the kit and would disrupt the flat surface of the top unless they somehow sat flush. If there was a lot of feedback that it was a "must have" I would certainly be willing to explore how they might be incorporated. As far as LEDs go, that is another thing I could explore if there was demand. I never really pay much attention to those on my MiSTer and would actually be interested in disabling them if it could be done thru the OS. On the lighter colored cases you can see them to some extent, especially the red one. When it pulses it reminds me of a heartbeat. That definitely illustrates the fact that the DE-10 Nano is the "heart and soul" of the MEGA Super System. (It's cheesy, I know. LOL! :lol: )
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

OnCor wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:26 pmI really struggled with this early on in my design. Everything the buttons do can be handled through the menus using a keyboard or controller.
I'm a big fan of buttons--being able to call up the BT pairing script or button mapping is extremely useful when setting up a new console or controllers. Having to pull out another controller to navigate menus, then set up the one you want is a real hassle. But that's probably 95% of what I use them for.

Flus-top buttons should be pretty easy to model and print. Here's an example of how another case does them (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3647626). Just copy that concept and lengthen to match your case height.

Light pipes are also nice to have, but not a deal killer. I like the way the Multisystem just has three small holes that you feed clear filament into. Minimal design work (just 3x 1.9mm holes and some internal channels).
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

Sigismond0 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:25 pm
OnCor wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:26 pmI really struggled with this early on in my design. Everything the buttons do can be handled through the menus using a keyboard or controller.
I'm a big fan of buttons--being able to call up the BT pairing script or button mapping is extremely useful when setting up a new console or controllers. Having to pull out another controller to navigate menus, then set up the one you want is a real hassle. But that's probably 95% of what I use them for.

Flus-top buttons should be pretty easy to model and print. Here's an example of how another case does them (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3647626). Just copy that concept and lengthen to match your case height.

Light pipes are also nice to have, but not a deal killer. I like the way the Multisystem just has three small holes that you feed clear filament into. Minimal design work (just 3x 1.9mm holes and some internal channels).
Interesting. I use 8Bitdo controllers/receivers and so I always just pair that way when I'm using BT. I've got some other projects in the works right now, but I may look into adding buttons when time frees up. It seems simple enough.
Sigismond0

If you're using a single BT dongle for multiple devices, it's nice to have the shortcut. Especially if you're, for example, using a controller with MiSTer, then with your Switch, then your PC, and then back. Not a dealbreaker, and as you said all of the functions can be accessed through the menu. But a really nice QOL thing.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

OnCor wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:26 pm

I really struggled with this early on in my design. Everything the buttons do can be handled through the menus using a keyboard or controller. Plus adding buttons to the case increases the complexity of assembling the kit and would disrupt the flat surface of the top unless they somehow sat flush. If there was a lot of feedback that it was a "must have" I would certainly be willing to explore how they might be incorporated. As far as LEDs go, that is another thing I could explore if there was demand. I never really pay much attention to those on my MiSTer and would actually be interested in disabling them if it could be done thru the OS. On the lighter colored cases you can see them to some extent, especially the red one. When it pulses it reminds me of a heartbeat. That definitely illustrates the fact that the DE-10 Nano is the "heart and soul" of the MEGA Super System. (It's cheesy, I know. LOL! :lol: )
Good point about the buttons, I do use them sometimes as they are within arm's reach here, but they are not absolutely needed.

I like all the little colored lights of the MiSTer though. What I think would be cool with your case is to use those flat LEDs (wide ones like on the Amiga would be cool, but I don't think you can get those) and put them into the recessed parts of the ribs, vertically or horizontally arranged.

The heartbeat effect does sound cool as well though.
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:44 am Good point about the buttons, I do use them sometimes as they are within arm's reach here, but they are not absolutely needed.

I like all the little colored lights of the MiSTer though. What I think would be cool with your case is to use those flat LEDs (wide ones like on the Amiga would be cool, but I don't think you can get those) and put them into the recessed parts of the ribs, vertically or horizontally arranged.

I did a quick search and found some 2mmx5mm rectangular LEDs that would fit perfectly in between the "ribs" on my cases. Something like these. It would probably require a custom PCB that would mount the same way as the screen does. Definitely something worth looking into I suppose.It would require having to solder some wires to the I/O LEDs to integrate them though. Not sure how many folks would be interested in that. Perhaps light pipes would be preferable since that would require much less effort and cost.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

OnCor wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:34 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:44 am Good point about the buttons, I do use them sometimes as they are within arm's reach here, but they are not absolutely needed.

I did a quick search and found some 2mmx5mm rectangular LEDs that would fit perfectly in between the "ribs" on my cases. Something like these. It would probably require a custom PCB that would mount the same way as the screen does. Definitely something worth looking into I suppose.It would require having to solder some wires to the I/O LEDs to integrate them though. Not sure how many folks would be interested in that. Perhaps light pipes would be preferable since that would require much less effort and cost.
There is a header on the I/O board for connecting external LEDs (and one for the buttons). A custom PCB sounds like a good solution. Those are indeed the type of LEDs I was thinking of.
Sigismond0

I've published a case for anyone building a TTY2OLED using this adapter PCB. Nothing fancy, but does the job.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/12 ... r-tty2oled
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:19 am There is a header on the I/O board for connecting external LEDs (and one for the buttons). A custom PCB sounds like a good solution. Those are indeed the type of LEDs I was thinking of.
Good to know. I was checking the schematic this morning and see now where those are located. Definitely appreciate the info!
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

Sigismond0 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:19 pm I've published a case for anyone building a TTY2OLED using this adapter PCB. Nothing fancy, but does the job.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/12 ... r-tty2oled
Nice work! :)
annette

Unread post by annette »

OnCor wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:30 am Early last year I picked up a 3D printer
Your cases look amazing and it is really a high quality print, can you share what 3d printer you have?
OnCor

Unread post by OnCor »

annette wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:56 pm Your cases look amazing and it is really a high quality print, can you share what 3d printer you have?
Thank you! These were printed on a Creality CR-10S Pro V2.