Question for CIFS/NAS Users

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
tonyt76

Question for CIFS/NAS Users

Unread post by tonyt76 »

Question for CIFS/NAS users:

Besides the Games folder, which other folders are you putting on your CIFS share for a multi mister setup?
pac

Re: Question for CIFS/NAS Users

Unread post by pac »

Nothing. Basically just using symbolic links in the respective games/core-folder on the MiSTer, pointing to the right folder on my NAS (mounted via the cifs-script).
seastalker

Unread post by seastalker »

I had the same debate recently- I have an 8tb RetroNAS drive and decided to also backup my entire Mister root folder directory. This way, if a corrupt SD card leads to a need to reinstall MiSTer, I can do the basics, then copy/paste the whole root (minus 'Games' folder) and have my current setup mirrored back, especially config files which would save time.
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

The ones I link to the NAS are BIOS, Cheats, cores, docs, games, saves, and savestates. It's important *not* to put the config dir out there, because the main Mister binary will launch before your cifs share is up, and it will use default settings when it can't read its config.

Thus, my potential loss if the SD card dies is all my configurations for the various cores, meaning I'd have to redo all my joystick inputs again, and redo my hardware and drive configs. That would suck, but wouldn't be a disaster. I should probably write a little backup script.
thisisamigaspeaking

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

I have: _Arcade, _Computer, _Console, _Other, _Utility, docs, font, games right now but I haven't given a lot of thought to what would be best so this is not advice.
Malor wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:30 pm The ones I link to the NAS are BIOS, Cheats, cores, docs, games, saves, and savestates. It's important *not* to put the config dir out there, because the main Mister binary will launch before your cifs share is up, and it will use default settings when it can't read its config.

Thus, my potential loss if the SD card dies is all my configurations for the various cores, meaning I'd have to redo all my joystick inputs again, and redo my hardware and drive configs. That would suck, but wouldn't be a disaster. I should probably write a little backup script.
saves and savestates on NAS is a good idea. config is automatically excluded if you use the LOCAL_DIR="*" option.

I'd suggest anyone use a high endurance microSD card, they don't cost much more. They still might fail but it is less likely.
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

thisisamigaspeaking wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:17 pm I have: _Arcade, _Computer, _Console, _Other, _Utility, docs, font, games right now but I haven't given a lot of thought to what would be best so this is not advice.
Malor wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:30 pm The ones I link to the NAS are BIOS, Cheats, cores, docs, games, saves, and savestates. It's important *not* to put the config dir out there, because the main Mister binary will launch before your cifs share is up, and it will use default settings when it can't read its config.

saves and savestates on NAS is a good idea. config is automatically excluded if you use the LOCAL_DIR="*" option.

I'd suggest anyone use a high endurance microSD card, they don't cost much more. They still might fail but it is less likely.
NAS is still convenient as you're not worrying about storage capacity at all and you can also use the same storage location for software emulators on PC, etc. Additionally, my NAS gets daily snapshots, and the files can be trivially included in any backup regime I may instigate.

Also, if you ever want to re-image your SD card, there's not much to back up and restore.
thisisamigaspeaking

Unread post by thisisamigaspeaking »

throAU wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:23 am
thisisamigaspeaking wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:17 pm I have: _Arcade, _Computer, _Console, _Other, _Utility, docs, font, games right now but I haven't given a lot of thought to what would be best so this is not advice.

NAS is still convenient as you're not worrying about storage capacity at all and you can also use the same storage location for software emulators on PC, etc. Additionally, my NAS gets daily snapshots, and the files can be trivially included in any backup regime I may instigate.

Also, if you ever want to re-image your SD card, there's not much to back up and restore.
Sorry, I wasn't advising SD card over NAS, I was advising a high endurance SD card for a MiSTer, whether or not you are using NAS. Not everyone is aware they are available for things like MiSTers or Pis (or video cameras etc.).
Malor
Top Contributor

Unread post by Malor »

A high endurance card is a good idea, but don't order one from Amazon. They do stock mixing, which means they trust that vendor-supplied cards are what they say they are. This means they end up shipping counterfeits quite frequently. This is extra painful when you're trying to buy an super-reliable card.

Order one from pretty much any other vendor, and you'll get the real thing. Best Buy or Walmart are good. bhphotovideo.com is small but trustworthy. Microcenter is medium-sized and trustworthy. Newegg itself is trustworthy, but their marketplace is a shambolic nightmare of fraud.