WWF WrestleFest (1991) Core

homerghost

WWF WrestleFest (1991) Core

Unread post by homerghost »

I've been keeping my eye on MiSTer developments for a while now but I've not seen any reference to the excellent WWF WrestleFest arcade game - is this something that's possible based on an existing engine or on the radar for any developers at all? Thanks!
RalphJB

Re: WWF WrestleFest (1991) Core

Unread post by RalphJB »

homerghost wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:16 pm I've been keeping my eye on MiSTer developments for a while now but I've not seen any reference to the excellent WWF WrestleFest arcade game - is this something that's possible based on an existing engine or on the radar for any developers at all? Thanks!
I would support the shit out of a Wrestlefest core.
ExCyber

Unread post by ExCyber »

From skimming MAME's "ddragon3.cpp", one might reasonably call it "Technos 1990 hardware", and whatever one might feel about any given Technos game, I'm fully in favor of preserving Technos's entire catalog by any means necessary. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Technos is to beat-em-ups what Nihon Falcom is to action RPGs or what Toaplan is to bullet hell shmups, i.e. the bedrock definition of "old-school" that everyone else was trying to either build upon or subvert.

Also, this is basically the same system as The Combatribes, which I regard as (even if nothing else) a fascinating data point for thinking about what the history of the beat-em-up genre might have been in a world where Final Fight never happened. If that means nothing to you, perhaps contemplate the history of the 1v1 fighting game genre if Fatal Fury had existed, but Street Fighter II hadn't. If that sounds profoundly silly to you, then I strongly recommend looking into the history of those franchises (and -- not to put too fine a point on it -- the career of one Takashi Nishiyama), because it's manifestly not the case that Fatal Fury was merely a hasty Street Fighter II knock-off.
lunch_box

Unread post by lunch_box »

This is probably my most wanted arcade core. I would also support the shit out of this :)
RalphJB

Unread post by RalphJB »

Currently getting my Wrestlefest fix by playing Retromania Wrestling but it's not quite the same.