Error code E3

relax

Error code E3

Unread post by relax »

using v 20220131
it came with a boot.rom didnt change it.
was playing FFVIII for about an hourish a couple times during battle, game would freeze, then eventually the music, the whole PSX froze.
the last time it froze it had E3 on the screen.
im using a US version rom set here, not sure if that matters, as i didnt change the boot.rom file...
this is not a bug report, just if anyone knows what that error code is?
when i go back to load a savestate, it doesnt seem to replicate in same place.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Re: Error code E3

Unread post by pgimeno »

See https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/PSX_MiSTer for error codes.
  • E3..E6 - GPU hangs (e.g. corrupt display list)
I get random freezes from time to time in some games, but without any error code. Saving state often alleviates the problem a bit, but it's still tedious. If you get a savestate immediately before a reproducible crash, I think the developer would be grateful.
relax

Unread post by relax »

pgimeno wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:33 am See https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/PSX_MiSTer for error codes.
  • E3..E6 - GPU hangs (e.g. corrupt display list)
I get random freezes from time to time in some games, but without any error code. Saving state often alleviates the problem a bit, but it's still tedious. If you get a savestate immediately before a reproducible crash, I think the developer would be grateful.
thanks for that info.
the only way i see reproducing this, is by playing the battles that happen on the main map of the game, when you are traveling.
this is where this keeps happening, in the little battles where you level up and get xp. you might have to do a dozen or more, or less, before it happens.
the battles spawn just by walking on the main map. you can just walk so many steps and the battle starts, you could walk in circles, it doesnt take long for a new battle to spawn.

got an E2 error message today.
i do have a save state just as the UI froze. this one was a slow long death, the music slowed, but kept playing while the UI was froze.
took about minute and a half before i got the E2 error.

i also have a save state once it displayed the E2 error.

not sure if those save states will help or not.
i will keep trying to get a save state just before it freezes aswell.

the only thing i can think of at this point is some random graphical glitch's, else its maby down to the little text menu that pops up, when its your turn to choose attack,item,draw,gf. thats literally the only user input that happens here. and actually i think twice now its froze when trying to scroll to select attack or draw or whatever.

anyhow if anything else is needed more specific let me know, or what you think?
relax

Unread post by relax »

is there an easy way to post images on here? i just got another E2, im starting to feel like this is happening whenever the small text-based UI is on screen, overlaying the graphics, its where you choose to attack,item,draw,gf. this particular one doesnt spell out attack in the list, it only has the "k"
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

i don't think the error states will be looked into yet before the core is at the point where Robert wants it to be.
relax

Unread post by relax »

thats no problem, i expected that. i at least have a vantage point, and am keeping track of this. just here to help with this amazing work :) thanks