Sync Problem Rolling Picture Using direct_video Mode

pacoarcade

Sync Problem Rolling Picture Using direct_video Mode

Unread post by pacoarcade »

Hello! My CRT TV, although it works fine with almost every core and even arcade boards with rare sync, doesn't seem to like the PSX core sync.

I wonder if it's planned to make an option to make sync more compatible or some bug to fix, or I should just use another TV. Latest releases from January used to work fine, but lately the image is always rolling turning the core unusable. This happens in PAL and NTSC modes.
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: Sync Problem Rolling Picture Using direct_video Mode

Unread post by akeley »

Core is obviously WIP, there are know issues with video timing, and I'm sure they will be eventually fixed - it's just not a priority atm. It's up to you if you want to use another TV... It works on my DV, the image is shifted, but I'm okay with waiting for the proper release.

Some settings you can also try, they're supposed to help with positioning and distortions, with an obligatory "at your own risk" disclaimer.

[psx]
vscale_mode=0
vscale_border=0
video_mode=1280,95,140,187,240,11,0,19,27543
;video_mode=1280,88,136,187,240,11,0,19,27543 ;more to the right
;video_mode=1280,136,176,187,240,11,0,19,27543 ;more to the left
;video_mode=480,12,48,36,240,4,3,16,9089
;video_mode=480,12,48,36,240,4,3,16,9089
;video_mode=800,16,64,80,240,1,3,14,12380 ; #DOS set using vmode 3 in dos, and these ARs:

;video_mode=800,54,104,80,240,1,3,14,12380 ; moving to the left
;video_mode=1024,116,72,160,256,1,1,3,20400
custom_aspect_ratio_1=781:277 ; GOOD for 800x240 Top cut off, width good
custom_aspect_ratio_2=790:230 ; GOOD for 800x240, a little too wide Top and bottom good
vga_scaler=1
;vsync_adjust=1 ; set if you are getting rolling screens using the higher vertical video modes
;IMPORTANT!!
;set the aspect ratio in the core to full while doing this.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

The last version to work with direct video is January 31. It’s got sound support and everything so I’m happy with it. Using direct video on a CRT.
caad

Unread post by caad »

C-R-T wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:12 pm The last version to work with direct video is January 31. It’s got sound support and everything so I’m happy with it. Using direct video on a CRT.
Can confirm versions after Jan 31 seem to break sync. But I wouldn't worry, Robert hasn't started working on fixing sync yet, so it's sheer luck that it did. Not sure why it broke though.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

My guess is it was this code change which tried to center the image on analog out but could have done something to the direct_video out at the same time causing it to be off enough to not work with it.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/PSX_MiS ... 36042e2071

Code: Select all

else
                  video_hblank <= '1';
                  if (video_hblank = '0') then
                     hsync_start <= (nextHCount / 2) + (26 * clkDiv) - (8 * clkDiv);
                     hsync_end   <= (nextHCount / 2) + (2 * clkDiv) - (8 * clkDiv);
                  end if;
               end if;
            end if;
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I've just tried the latest (20220210_1579cc.rbf) on coupel of games - Disruptor / Einhander - and it's working ok via Direct Video + Trinitorn consumer CRT. No problems with sync. Maybe it got fixed again or maybe it's TV dependent (and game too). You can try my config.
Attachments
MiSTer.zip
(3.58 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
JonnyTenebrous

Unread post by JonnyTenebrous »

Can confirm PSX unstable Jan 31st core shows a - somewhat - stable picture on my PAL Triniton CRT ('98 model which supports NTSC and PAL). The picture bounces up and down in a very sickness-inducing manner when testing Castlevania: SoTN, but at least it doesn't "scroll". Every version from Feb 01 through latest release as of today (Feb 10), the picture scrolls. Running in Direct Video mode. Earlier today changed HDMI/VGA DAC from a "Cable Deconn" model suggested by Sorgelig 2 years ago, to a a Tripp-Lite model 131-06N which seems generally more stable.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

JonnyTenebrous wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:38 pm Can confirm PSX unstable Jan 31st core shows a - somewhat - stable picture on my PAL Triniton CRT ('98 model which supports NTSC and PAL). The picture bounces up and down in a very sickness-inducing manner when testing Castlevania: SoTN, but at least it doesn't "scroll". Every version from Feb 01 through latest release as of today (Feb 10), the picture scrolls. Running in Direct Video mode. Earlier today changed HDMI/VGA DAC from a "Cable Deconn" model suggested by Sorgelig 2 years ago, to a a Tripp-Lite model 131-06N which seems generally more stable.
Have you tried NTSC-U with an NTSC bios also? Same scrolling? Just curious if it is the same if your Trinitron supports both.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Mister doesn’t output PAL or NTSC, it outputs RGB. My TV doesn’t support NTSC at all but that’s not a problem in this case. I’ve only tested NTSC games on the PS1 core so I don’t know if PAL games work better.
JonnyTenebrous

Unread post by JonnyTenebrous »

flynnsbit wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:00 am Have you tried NTSC-U with an NTSC bios also? Same scrolling? Just curious if it is the same if your Trinitron supports both.
I should've added that clarification to my post. To date, I've only used PSX Unstable in NTSC-U mode with an NTSC Bios, and that's where I'm getting the scrolling. I tried very quickly switching PSX core into PAL mode and restarting the core (without changing the NTSC Bios, though), and that didn't help matters in my case... seems I'd also have to try changing the bios if I wanted to test further, which makes sense. As C-R-T then mentioned, MiSTer outputs RGB anyhow, and that - indeed - is how my MiSTer is connected (via SCART) to my consumer Trinitron, with Direct Video. So, to be clear, my TV supports RGB via Scart (this is what I use with MiSTer), and also PAL, NTSC-U, and PAL60. I tend strongly towards playing NTSC games/cores, with the exception of Amiga, for the obvious reasons: 60hz, no flicker, etc.

I was just writing to make a quick status report . I have every confidence the analogue timings will get tightened up on this core in due course, as the developer's GBA core also had similar issues on my equipment in the earlier days, but was eventually fixed.
Duffygag

Unread post by Duffygag »

Same here
_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

Unstables since February break sync on my Trinitron TV/RGBs. (And sound its broken too)

As stated above, latest January release works ok.
pacoarcade

Unread post by pacoarcade »

_javi_ wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:12 pm Unstables since February break sync on my Trinitron TV/RGBs. (And sound its broken too)

Hi Javi, is the official release stable for you? here the image is still dancing (LG with pretty good compatibility with rare syncs). Haven't tested with an original PS1 yet.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

pacoarcade wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:47 pm Hi Javi, is the official release stable for you? here the image is still dancing (LG with pretty good compatibility with rare syncs). Haven't tested with an original PS1 yet.
It works fine for me, both via IO board and Direct Video, on consumer TVs and PVMs.

I'd suggest you try this core with a separate, fresh mister.ini. Maybe you have some residue from other things in your current one.
_javi_

Unread post by _javi_ »

pacoarcade wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:47 pm
_javi_ wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:12 pm Unstables since February break sync on my Trinitron TV/RGBs. (And sound its broken too)

Hi Javi, is the official release stable for you? here the image is still dancing (LG with pretty good compatibility with rare syncs). Haven't tested with an original PS1 yet.
Latest nightlies and official are ok. Image is very good and crisp on the CRT! ..BUT.. some FMV go out of sync (just the intro or film part, menus are ok).. unless i set the "480i sync for HDMI" in core menu. Then it shows ok, but video goes shaky (losing the sharpness).
For example, it happens here on Gran Turismo 1 & 2 intro videos.
boilop

Unread post by boilop »

Do you all still have issues with this?

I can't get the PSX core to work on my Sony PVM using directvideo. Everything else works fine.

I grabed a fresh mister.ini (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MiSTe ... MiSTer.ini), changed directvideo to 1 and composite sync to 1. Everything but the PSX core works fine. I also tried to reset the PSX config file, but that didn't help.

Any ideas of what I could try?
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Is the core working via HDMI?
BDCMister

Unread post by BDCMister »

boilop wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:50 pm Do you all still have issues with this?

I can't get the PSX core to work on my Sony PVM using directvideo. Everything else works fine.

I grabed a fresh mister.ini (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MiSTe ... MiSTer.ini), changed directvideo to 1 and composite sync to 1. Everything but the PSX core works fine. I also tried to reset the PSX config file, but that didn't help.

Any ideas of what I could try?
Yes, I have a rolling picture with the PSX core using the VGA-> Component output to a CRT. I also have HDMI hooked up and that works well. This is my first time testing the PSX core so I have no baseline functioning config for it. I have found some combination of video mode and vga scaler settings affects this and can either get it to stop rolling but be very pixelated.

What's interesting is once the game is loaded, it's fine. It only does this at the Core bios/mem card menu.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Both your issues describe different symptoms and connections. The cause is probably different.

The PSX core should work okay via both IO & DV out of the box, with exception of some little issues on Direct Video @_javi_ mentioned in his post above (but most games display without problems even on DV). There's no need for any additional modelines or special config changes. So if you're sure that your PSX core is working correctly (all the boot.roms are updated, etc) and that you're using a fresh mister.ini, then the issue most likely is with your hardware - maybe cable, HDMI/VGA adapter, or an overtly sensitive CRT set.
BDCMister

Unread post by BDCMister »

OK, so I have resolved my rolling screen issue with any ini changes. Apparently I was using the PAL bios. Switching to the correct NTSC one resolved the issue.

SCPH7001 ntsc
SCPH7000 jp
SCPH7002 pal

The only remaining issue I have is that it's still doing this odd shimmer/shake while on the PSX bios menu, none of the other cores do that, but at least it's usable. The shake is very slight but it's just enough to know something's not quite right.
Atohmdiy

Unread post by Atohmdiy »

I also have sync issues with my bvm 20f1e. Everything is working fine except the psx core. Image is shaking.
I follow the unstable builds, it was working fine until the shaking appear, then it was never corrected. Don't know exactly when the problem appears.
chromium

Unread post by chromium »

I have issues with some 480i content, such as FMV in Tekken 3 and Gran Turismo 2, which doesn't sync at all This can be resolved by enabling 480i HDMi sync, but this makes other 480i content that works with the option disabled look worse. Also resolution switching like in Chrono Cross loses sync for a split second with the option disabled, but is almost perfect with it enabled.
3style

Unread post by 3style »

Atohmdiy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:48 pm I also have sync issues with my bvm 20f1e. Everything is working fine except the psx core. Image is shaking.
I follow the unstable builds, it was working fine until the shaking appear, then it was never corrected. Don't know exactly when the problem appears.
I have exact the same problem on my bvm 20f1e when using direct_video with a hdmi to vga adapter.
I switched to the analog IO board and now it's working perfectly. I had to use some 50ohm terminators, otherwise the picture is too bright on the bvm.
Atohmdiy

3style wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:34 pm
Atohmdiy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:48 pm I also have sync issues with my bvm 20f1e. Everything is working fine except the psx core. Image is shaking.
I have exact the same problem on my bvm 20f1e when using direct_video with a hdmi to vga adapter.
I switched to the analog IO board and now it's working perfectly. I had to use some 50ohm terminators, otherwise the picture is too bright on the bvm.
I think the best option is to open an issue in github. I don't use the io board at all, i am only using direct video, i really wish it works :D
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Atohmdiy wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:05 pm I think the best option is to open an issue in github. I don't use the io board at all, i am only using direct video, i really wish it works :D
This has already been discussed here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... 1133917424

Apparently Robert is not interested in fixing Direct Video but perhaps opening a ticket either in PSX or main MiSTer git would help to clarify this. It also seems dependant on an adapter used.

And, again, the majority of PSX games should work fine using DV. I have been testing it myself on various CRT sets recently using AG6200 based adapters/cables.
Atohmdiy

I have several adapter and all of them seems to be AG6200, and image is shaking every time. It's not game specific or anything, it is shaking all the time, including mister menu. Problem appear the 6th March, before that it was working fine.
It is disappointing robert do not want to fix this, i am only using direct video, if i knew he doesn't care i wouldn't have patreon his project...

I open a github issue, hope a solution could be find : https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/PSX_MiSTer/issues/129
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Atohmdiy wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:30 pm It is disappointing robert do not want to fix this, i am only using direct video, if i knew he doesn't care i wouldn't have patreon his project...
I don't think it's fair to say he "doesn't care", he's got enough on his plate as it is, as you can see looking at the github issues in this repo. And Direct Video actually does work in most games and for most people.

Your issue is probably completely different from the one I linked to (which is more universal). This "shake" seems to be happening only on your particular BVM model so far, I've never seen it on my PVM or other consumer sets, and I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere.

Have you updated your MiSTer to the latest one btw (and obviously, the PSX bios files?)? There were some DV fixes included as well.
FPGAzumSpass
Core Developer

Unread post by FPGAzumSpass »

Did you try the newest testbuild already?

https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... 180371.rbf

Paul has made some fixes for DV and except some short sync loss when switching between 240p and 480i it seems to work fine now.
If it doesn't i highly recommend trying some different adapter as several have been tested by discord users already and found to be working fine.
Atohmdiy

Yes it's corrected. Thank you !
nmur

Unread post by nmur »

Thought I might ask in here as I'm seeing an issue with direct_video and my CRT, though it doesn't appear to be sync related.

On the latest stable (20220511), I'm able to see the PS1 boot screen/logo perfectly, and sometimes even a menu (eg with Gran Turismo 2), but most games and scenes give a black screen. My Extron RGB 203Rxi does show that it's getting a ~15.7kHz signal during this black video output, though sometimes it doesn't detect any signal either.

On the latest nightly (20220601_180371), when I load the core I can see the boot screen and no-disc menu, but when I load a game I will always get a black screen, but the Extron is reporting ~15.7kHz signal as well.

Am I encountering known? or is this more likely due to an adapter or device in my video chain?