Film Grain / NTSC artifacts

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
ferropop

Film Grain / NTSC artifacts

Unread post by ferropop »

Love this project and community!

With all the work being done with Shadow Masks etc, I'm wondering how easy it would be to implement some light Film Grain or NTSC artifacting in MiSTer?

I can't imagine Film Grain being especially taxing, but I might be wrong? It adds SUCH a special retro element to the screen -- been using ShaderGlass on my PC laptop with a bit of grain and artifacting and it's just such a vibe.

Any thoughts? Any shader-esque love would be so welcomed!
Sigismond0

Re: Film Grain / NTSC artifacts

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Artifacting I can understand to some extent, but film grain? I guess it woudl add a retro aesthetic of some sort, but an entirely unnatural one. Film grain comes from the actual filming and processing of video on film stock. Video game consoles would never have anything like that. Maybe you're looking for something more like composite/RF noise?
ferropop

Unread post by ferropop »

Sigismond0 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:58 pm Artifacting I can understand to some extent, but film grain? I guess it woudl add a retro aesthetic of some sort, but an entirely unnatural one. Film grain comes from the actual filming and processing of video on film stock. Video game consoles would never have anything like that. Maybe you're looking for something more like composite/RF noise?
100% I'm totally aware it's not the natural effect, but it's so interesting how adding Film Grain in ShaderGlass is so close to the RF noise I remember as a kid. It triggers the same effect in my brain anyways, but yes more accurately RF noise (or any noise at all!) is such a powerful "retro-izer".
redsteakraw

Unread post by redsteakraw »

I would just recommend using the shittiest unshielded cables and try to introduce as much interference as possible.
Fear is the mind killer!