Ordering a DE10-Nano direct from Terasic a Question?

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
GreyAreaUK

Ordering a DE10-Nano direct from Terasic a Question?

Unread post by GreyAreaUK »

I've had a DE10-Nano on order from Mouser here in the UK since the end of November last year. However, having recently received an email saying that it now isn't expected to ship until the end of July I'm probably going to cancel. Note that I'm not having a pop at Mouser, I imagine they're just as frustrated at the situation. And if the end of July date could be trusted I just might have held on, but I suspect it's a placeholder date and they just don't know. But anyway.

The next logical alternative is to order direct from Terasic themselves and have to put up with shipping and possibly Customs.

My actual question is: on their site is the item I'm after the 'DE10-Nano Kit'? I'm guessing yes and I'm just being paranoid, but I really don't want to order the wrong item, and the word 'Kit' makes me ever-so-slightly unsure.

Also - has anyone else in the UK ordered direct from them, and if so what was your experience?

Many thanks.
Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Re: Ordering a DE10-Nano direct from Terasic a Question?

Unread post by Xbytez »

This is what you want:

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page ... 8#contents

DE10-Nano Board Part No: P0496 @ $210

Unless you qualify for the academic discount, then it is $175.
GreyAreaUK

Many thanks - yes, that's the one I looked at, it was just the word 'Kit' that threw me slightly :)

I've emailed Mouser to cancel the order (couldn't seem to see a way of doing it through the website) so as soon as I have conformation I'll place the order with Terasic.

Again, thank you.
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

its a 'kit' is because the DE10-Nano comes with:

A Quick Start Guide
A System CD
A Type A to Mini-B USB Cable
A Type A to Micro-B USB Cable
Power DC 5V Adapter
MicroSD Card
4 Silicon Footstands
The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

Received the same mail from mouser and ordered mine from terasic last night.
Shipping is another whopping 56€ and Customs are probably there, too.

The things you do for love..
Hull_klogan

Unread post by Hull_klogan »

Last month I contacted Terasic directly and was able to get one right away. I dealt with a woman named Linda who was really helpful. It was shipped from their Springville, Utah office. I paid $210 for mine.
german_user

Unread post by german_user »

If Terasic now prefers to do business alone instead of supplying the distributors, they are dead for me as a manufacturer...
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

german_user wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:22 pm If Terasic now prefers to do business alone instead of supplying the distributors, they are dead for me as a manufacturer...
Given it was intended as a university student introduction to FPGA, I'm frankly shocked it was ever available by any means _other_ than directly from the manufacturer. It's not, and never was, a 'product' (or at least intended to be). In fact, they've been exceedingly kind to MiSTer users, given the apparently abuse they received with people physically damaging boards because they didn't know what they were doing and then insisting the manufacturer replace them at the manufacturer's expense.
german_user

Unread post by german_user »

That is not completely right. The product was always available as a "normal" and as an academic version and was heavily subsidized by Intel. If you look at old brochures, you will also see various other companies that have made their contribution (parts are sold cheaper). Companies that use distribution actually have an indirect sales model and do not want to deal with the "end customer" at all, which usually has various reasons. It also doesn't matter whether the manufacturer voluntarily exchanges defective devices or not, after all, the "seller" is the contact person for warranty claims.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

german_user wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:48 am That is not completely right. The product was always available as a "normal" and as an academic version and was heavily subsidized by Intel. If you look at old brochures, you will also see various other companies that have made their contribution (parts are sold cheaper). Companies that use distribution actually have an indirect sales model and do not want to deal with the "end customer" at all, which usually has various reasons. It also doesn't matter whether the manufacturer voluntarily exchanges defective devices or not, after all, the "seller" is the contact person for warranty claims.
A few problems here:

- There is no subsidy whatsoever, that was debunked quite some time ago
- There was no intent of encouraging 'middle-man' sales, as student discounts (again, the primary market for this device) required proof of educational status and can ONLY be purchased directly from the manufacturer as a result
- Accidentally breaking your device and then knowingly and fraudulently making a warranty claim is not the responsibility of the seller OR the manufacturer, and the fact that the maker had to create an account on this very forum to very nicely ask people to knock it the hell off was an embarrassment to the community
GreyAreaUK

Beeble wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:36 pm Received the same mail from mouser and ordered mine from terasic last night.

Ouch. That's going to bump the price to about £200-ish, before Customs.

The bugger of this is that I've already bought the USB board, the analog board, wireless and Bluetooth dongles, a UK power supply (from RMC) and a small (8.5") display for use with this.

Hey ho. I've cancelled the Mouser order, but I'll wait until I have confirmation of the cancellation before I make a decision.

Thanks for the data.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

rhester72 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:48 pm Given it was intended as a university student introduction to FPGA, I'm frankly shocked it was ever available by any means _other_ than directly from the manufacturer. It's not, and never was, a 'product' (or at least intended to be). In fact, they've been exceedingly kind to MiSTer users, given the apparently abuse they received with people physically damaging boards because they didn't know what they were doing and then insisting the manufacturer replace them at the manufacturer's expense.
It is (was?) as much a "product" as anything else sold in big quantities by main distributors.
kerunaru

Unread post by kerunaru »

Beeble wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:36 pm Received the same mail from mouser and ordered mine from terasic last night.

Speaking of shipping, I've ordered mine the day before yesterday and I've just received a status update saying "Operational delay" from FedEx... It seems the Chinese New Year's Eve had caused several delays to anything coming from China. :|
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

I cancelled my mouser one too, was on order for a month then they drop the end of July email to me and apparently only have 300 coming… maybe? Lol

Went direct from the maker and came in 4 days.
GreyAreaUK

Bunker wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:39 am I cancelled my mouser one too, was on order for a month then they drop the end of July email to me and apparently only have 300 coming… maybe? Lol

Out of interest how did you cancel your Mouser order? I emailed them yesterday and filled out the 'alteration to order' form I later found, but have yet to hear back from them and the order is still showing on their system. I don't want to bug them, but.
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

GreyAreaUK wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:54 am
Bunker wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:39 am I cancelled my mouser one too, was on order for a month then they drop the end of July email to me and apparently only have 300 coming… maybe? Lol

Out of interest how did you cancel your Mouser order? I emailed them yesterday and filled out the 'alteration to order' form I later found, but have yet to hear back from them and the order is still showing on their system. I don't want to bug them, but.

I’m in the same boat but I opened a PayPal dispute as well as doing what you did on their site.
GreyAreaUK

Bunker wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:12 pm
GreyAreaUK wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:54 am

I’m in the same boat but I opened a PayPal dispute as well as doing what you did on their site.
For what it's worth I (just now) opened up a live chat and cancelled it that way. Just received the email confirmation of the cancellation, so it's all good now.
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

Reveived FedEx Update - Pickup scheduled from Terasic for monday - delivery thursday in germany. Fingers crossed :)
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

Beeble wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:10 pm Reveived FedEx Update - Pickup scheduled from Terasic for monday - delivery thursday in germany. Fingers crossed :)
Mine just arrived from them, great service.
GreyAreaUK

Just ordered mine direct from them as well.

Well...after a second attempt. The first time my bank thought the transaction was dodgy, blocked it, and put a hold on my card!

I swear, someone doesn't want me to buy this thing.

So...now I just have to wait and see if UK Customs are going to get involved. Which I guess they will.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

Maybe you should order an armored car so you don´t get robbed when picking it up from the post office :mrgreen:
GreyAreaUK

grizzly wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:47 pm Maybe you should order an armored car so you don´t get robbed when picking it up from the post office :mrgreen:
The way thing are going I’m fully expecting to hear the words “put the mouse down and step away from the keyboard, sir!”

…again… :)
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

GreyAreaUK wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:54 am Just ordered mine direct from them as well.

Well...after a second attempt. The first time my bank thought the transaction was dodgy, blocked it, and put a hold on my card!

So...now I just have to wait and see if UK Customs are going to get involved. Which I guess they will.

FedEx charge £52 for import on this including their ‘fee’. I just had to pay this for my import. I purchased and received a de10nano this week but it’s faulty and I can’t seem to get in touch with Terasic :(
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Bunker wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:37 pm I can’t seem to get in touch with Terasic :(
Try using this email address: support@terasic.com
bazza_12
Top Contributor

Bunker wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:37 pm
GreyAreaUK wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:54 am Just ordered mine direct from them as well.

FedEx charge £52 for import on this including their ‘fee’. I just had to pay this for my import. I purchased and received a de10nano this week but it’s faulty and I can’t seem to get in touch with Terasic :(
so how much was it in total, with the 52quid import charge?
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

bazza_12 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:12 pm
Bunker wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:37 pm

so how much was it in total, with the 52quid import charge?
£258
bazza_12
Top Contributor

blimey so without that import charge it would have been cheaper than getting it from mouser..
caad

Unread post by caad »

You can pretty much assume it won't become cheaper over time.
GreyAreaUK

Well, mine should be here on Friday.

One thing I'm still not too clear on - does the FedEx shipping bill of $54 include a UK Customs charge, or is that going to be something else on top that I need to deal with? (Sorry, that's probably a really stupid question but I rarely buy stuff that needs import duties).
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

Normally you will receive a bill from FedEx in the post usually a number of days after your delivery, the bill will be in you local currency, so if in the UK it will be in £GBP. The bill will include a processing fee and required duty amount this can then be paid online among other methods.

https://www.fedex.com/en-gb/billing/duty-tax.html

https://www.fedex.com/en-gb/billing/duty-tax.html#pay

https://ask.fedex.com/help/en-gb/accoun ... lculations