Game & Watch Core

LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Re: Game & Watch Core

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

pbsk8 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:30 am
NML32 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:21 pm
jca wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:04 pm Today: update to the core but sadly black screen for me (HDMI).
On the Github page, there is a link to the ROMs.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/GnW_MiSTer
only those 10 games are supported by now? Or can I get more roms from mame romset?
Only games that use a SM-510 MCU can be converted at the moment. You can use ROMs and artwork from the MAME G&W rom set. I'm working on adding readme information to the repository, explaining how to create bin files using the generator tool.
vitopod

Unread post by vitopod »

jca wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:04 pm Today: update to the core but sadly black screen for me (HDMI).
Hi to all,
same issue here via HDMI. I run the core and load bin files I got from the torrent but I get just blank screens (except for Tropical fish and Turtle bridge, but games does not start anyway).
OriginalXOR

Unread post by OriginalXOR »

Massive thank you to Pierco for this and indeed Tonton for getting a few ROMs compiled too...

While not exactly a direction I ever expected Mister to take, I'm still very impressed by the results.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@ vitopod
As I mentioned it later on it all started to work, I did not even restart my MISTer. Today I just started my MISTer, started the core and all roms load fine.
NightShadowPT

Unread post by NightShadowPT »

Dumb question... I cannot seem to get the right directory name to put the Roms in... I've tried "GnW", "Game&Watch" and "GameWatch"...

Could not find this info in the GitHub page...

Any pointers here? Thanks in advance.
pcfreak324

Unread post by pcfreak324 »

NightShadowPT wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:35 pm Dumb question... I cannot seem to get the right directory name to put the Roms in... I've tried "GnW", "Game&Watch" and "GameWatch"...
The folder has to be named "Game & Watch".
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

When in a core menu look on the left side in the vertical white band: it is the name to use. Exception Minimig -> Amiga.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Here's all the CPU cores for G&W and the number of games supported:
-ATmega169PV: 1 game
-SM510: 18 games
-SM511: 23 games
-SM512: 4 games
-SM5A: 15 games

Currently, the SM510 is the only one of these CPUs implemented. 10 ROMs have been created for this core. However, 8 haven't been done yet. Here's instructions on how to generate the ROMs: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/GnW_MiS ... 4da4d14578, and these are the missing games:
-Crab Grab
-Donkey Kong
-Lifeboat
-Manhole
-Mario Bros.
-Mickey & Donald
-Rain Shower
-Spitball Sparky

This page on MAME's GitHub was one of my resources: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... _sm510.cpp and it lists the R-Zone as a "child driver" of the Sharp SM5xx family of handhelds. Does this mean that this core could eventually support R-Zone games? Also, the Electronika IM-26 is a Russian bootleg hardware clone of the Game & Watch so those games could eventually be supported as well :)
TLPD-AVW

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

KremlingKuthroat19 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:36 pm Also, the Electronika IM-26 is a Russian bootleg hardware clone of the Game & Watch so those games could eventually be supported as well :)
Electronica handhelds run on complete clones of Sharp CPUs and I believe they have identical roms to Game & Watch originals, so I assume they should already work with SM510 roms when supplied with Soviet graphics.
There was however one unique Electronica game called Автослалом (Autoslalom) which had no Japanese original, but that game runs on a clone of SM5A CPU.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

If anybody's looking for the missing SM510 games, search for "Game & Watch MiSTer FPGA" in the archive ;)
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Ace, thanks for doing those!

Looks like the remaining ones are:
-Crab Grab (doesn't seem to be artwork for this one, and is tall screen)
-Rain Shower (tall screen)
-Spitball Sparky (2 screens side by side)

A assuming these different screen layouts aren't supported yet, you can see the artwork for the games here:
https://www.progettosnaps.net/artworks/ ... scription=
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:57 pm Ace, thanks for doing those!

Looks like the remaining ones are:
-Crab Grab (doesn't seem to be artwork for this one, and is tall screen)
-Rain Shower (tall screen)
-Spitball Sparky (2 screens side by side)

A assuming these different screen layouts aren't supported yet, you can see the artwork for the games here:
https://www.progettosnaps.net/artworks/ ... scription=
I converted Rain Shower for an older version of the core, it worked fine. Spitball Sparky converted fine as well, but uses color tricks that can't currently be replicated on the core. Same thing with Crab Grab, I did find artwork for it.
EDIT: Turns out my Rain Shower conversion still works with the current version of the core.
AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

Just to confirm: Game&Watch Core doesn't work on CRT via analog I/O, isn't?
wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

Yes it is not working. It needs some updates to make it works
mic_

Unread post by mic_ »

Happy to see this getting released. I experienced some graphical glitches in Donkey Kong Jr, like weird noisy ghosting effects. But that might be a problem with the ROM rather than the core.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

mic_ wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:32 am Happy to see this getting released. I experienced some graphical glitches in Donkey Kong Jr, like weird noisy ghosting effects. But that might be a problem with the ROM rather than the core.
This is caused by the anti-aliasing functionality. It can be turned off for now, when converting a game, by using a mask expansion value of zero.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

As a test with non-Nintendo games, I've just converted Konami Top Gun and it works. Not sure what the time location parameter does, but it didn't have to be changed.
wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

Confirmed with Konami - Double Dribble (handheld)

2g24mIF.jpg
2g24mIF.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 6592 times
Pierco
Core Developer

Unread post by Pierco »

So Cool!! Thank you for testing the non-Nintendo games! I will have to update the readme :)

I'm currently working on the anti-aliasing problem with double-screen games. I need to rewrite a part of the generator but it will have no impact on the binary files so old generated games will remain compatible.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Pierco wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:52 pm So Cool!! Thank you for testing the non-Nintendo games! I will have to update the readme :)

I'm currently working on the anti-aliasing problem with double-screen games. I need to rewrite a part of the generator but it will have no impact on the binary files so old generated games will remain compatible.
That is great news! Really looking forward to that update.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Is there a way to have independent controls on the Dual Screen Mario Bros Game. I had it as a child and each side had an independent Up down for the character. On the current version up/ down moves both brothers which makes the game much harder if not impossible as it was designed so that each brothers can be moved independently
Pierco
Core Developer

Unread post by Pierco »

Yes, it is possible but I need to add more buttons on the FPGA side so we can map them in the generator. Currently only have left/down/up/right/A/B/Jump. I will open a GitHub issue about it.
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

See the post by MMarino4 in this Reddit thread for information about updated more complete background artwork.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/ ... b_artwork/
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Thanks for the update, moving the Loading of BIN to the top row is a really nice touch.
I renamed the games sudirectory updated MISTer, started the new core, loaded a BIN and ... the gremlins came back: black screen.
This time I went directly to what fixed the 1st time: I started the very old core, got a colorful messed up screen, started the new core, loaded a BIN and I got the display back.
I will delete all config files related to this core (may be something dating from the prehistoric core is making trouble with the config). I will see what happens on the next release.
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

lamarax wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:53 pm If anybody's looking for the missing SM510 games, search for "Game & Watch MiSTer FPGA" in the archive ;)
both packs only provide 15 out of 18 between them unfortunately.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Bunker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:57 pm both packs only provide 15 out of 18 between them unfortunately.
I wasn't able to convert Rain Shower unfortunately; the .svg's included in the MAME romset came out blank in the tool.

As for the other two omitted, those use a weird display format, sorry :(

The core is only going to improve from now on, so I guess we'll have to redo the conversions anyway :)
Bunker

Unread post by Bunker »

lamarax wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:07 pm
Bunker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:57 pm both packs only provide 15 out of 18 between them unfortunately.
I wasn't able to convert Rain Shower unfortunately; the .svg's included in the MAME romset came out blank in the tool.

The core is only going to improve from now on, so I guess we'll have to redo the conversions anyway :)
didnt realise this was your stuff, thanks for the ones you have done! :)
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

lamarax wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:07 pm

The Rainshower svg has the IDs reversed for the two layers. Open in notepad++ and find id=layer1 and id=layer2 and change them to the opposite.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Ashfall wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:56 pm The Rainshower svg has the IDs reversed for the two layers. Open in notepad++ and find id=layer1 and id=layer2 and change them to the opposite.
Great find, thank you 👍

As for the anti-aliasing bug with dual screen games, I suggest using:

Code: Select all

[GameNWatch]
vscale_mode=1
...in the .ini, and Interpolation (medium) as a filter for now.
netbeui

Unread post by netbeui »

Does Manhole work for anyone? All other games work for me but Manhole won't start for some reason. It loads the bin file and I see all the graphics but when I press the buttons on my controller the game won't start. Just wondering if I'm the only one with this problem