Game & Watch Core

Pierco
Core Developer

Re: Game & Watch Core

Unread post by Pierco »

Manhole is SM5A and is not supposed to work yet, it has been included by mistake on archive.org.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

Pierco wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:10 pm Manhole is SM5A and is not supposed to work yet, it has been included by mistake on archive.org.
There's a SM-510 version of Manhole that works fine.
wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

Yeah Game & Watch: Manhole (Gold) is SM5A and Game & Watch: Manhole (New Wide Screen) is SM510.
wark91
Core Developer

Unread post by wark91 »

And Manhole SM510 needs to be able to use two joysticks (like described here : https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/GnW_MiSTer/issues/14)
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:40 pm There's a SM-510 version of Manhole that works fine.
That's the one in the archive; problem is, the input map is not yet supported by the core (just like with "Fire Attack").

On another note, I've added Rain Shower :)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

lamarax wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:08 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:40 pm There's a SM-510 version of Manhole that works fine.
That's the one in the archive; problem is, the input map is not yet supported by the core (just like with "Fire Attack").

On another note, I've added Rain Shower :)
I worked around that, but the control scheme did turn out a bit confusing :)
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Something that would be really nice is if there was a single archive that the people doing the conversions were putting them, and then there was a MiSTer script that would grab any new ones, or ones that had been updated, a bit like Mame getter. Could potentially be done in a way that it could run off of update all.

If we did go down this route might be worth thinking about folder structure, one for Game & Watch with the official ones, and other folders for Tiger etc. as more LCD games become supported.
Pierco
Core Developer

Unread post by Pierco »

I fully agree with you. We need a central place open to anyone who wants to collaborate. I thought archive.org might be a good solution for long-term storage but uploads seem to be limited to one account only. Does anyone have a suggestion?
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Moondandy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:09 pm Something that would be really nice is if there was a single archive that the people doing the conversions were putting them, and then there was a MiSTer script that would grab any new ones, or ones that had been updated, a bit like Mame getter. Could potentially be done in a way that it could run off of update all.

If we did go down this route might be worth thinking about folder structure, one for Game & Watch with the official ones, and other folders for Tiger etc. as more LCD games become supported.
By manufacturer would work. Though if VFD handhelds and tabletops would be supported as well, another sub folder for LCD/VFD might be handy.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Pierco wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:56 pm I fully agree with you. We need a central place open to anyone who wants to collaborate. I thought archive.org might be a good solution for long-term storage but uploads seem to be limited to one account only. Does anyone have a suggestion?
I suggest that Tonton copies my content into his repository/folder, so then I can happily delete mine altogether :)
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

This thing looks awesome! Any chance of Mattel Football at some point?
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Pierco wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:56 pm I fully agree with you. We need a central place open to anyone who wants to collaborate. I thought archive.org might be a good solution for long-term storage but uploads seem to be limited to one account only. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Maybe a google drive people can upload to, then an archive owner can take the new files and keep the archive up to date and organised?

Also thinking. would is be simple for the update all database functionality to be used to grab the files from an archive?
HerrBerzerk

Unread post by HerrBerzerk »

Hello,

is Game & Watch already in the update all script? I thought it was, but can't find it installed... so not yet?

Thank you,

Frank
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

yes it should
johhenrik

Unread post by johhenrik »

HerrBerzerk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:01 pm is Game & Watch already in the update all script? I thought it was, but can't find it installed... so not yet?
Yes it is.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Moondandy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:57 pm
Maybe a google drive people can upload to, then an archive owner can take the new files and keep the archive up to date and organised?

Also thinking. would is be simple for the update all database functionality to be used to grab the files from an archive?
Good luck when the Nintendo Lawyers come for you. A google drive is linkable back to you
HerrBerzerk

johhenrik wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:13 pm
HerrBerzerk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:01 pm is Game & Watch already in the update all script? I thought it was, but can't find it installed... so not yet?
Yes it is.
Can someone enlighten me where to find it? Does it have a special name or do I have to activate something special? Sorry ...
Larn Conner

Unread post by Larn Conner »

Can someone enlighten me where to find it? Does it have a special name or do I have to activate something special? Sorry ...
Do you mean where to find the core after it is installed by the update all script? Mine is under consoles and it has the name "GnW" right below Genesis and above Intellivision. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

p.s. I love this core. I love the idea of these old handheld lcd games now being playable on the MiSTer FPGA.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

FPGA64 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:54 pm
Moondandy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:57 pm

Good luck when the Nintendo Lawyers come for you. A google drive is linkable back to you
I don't think we'd need to worry about that, if people are really paranoid then make it only accessible to the people making the files so it's not publicly viewable, and then they are only public when are uploaded to the archive on archive.org.
HerrBerzerk

Larn Conner wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:10 pm

Do you mean where to find the core after it is installed by the update all script? Mine is under consoles and it has the name "GnW" right below Genesis and above Intellivision. Sorry if I misunderstood your question.
That's strange, it's not on my system after several updates now... In my update all settings, I selected to download the DB9/Snac versions, might that be the cause that I don't get the core automatically?
Larn Conner

HerrBerzerk wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:52 am That's strange, it's not on my system after several updates now... In my update all settings, I selected to download the DB9/Snac versions, might that be the cause that I don't get the core automatically?
I'm afraid I don't know much about any script, just downloaded some "update all" script and it's worked for me. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help you.

I'm looking at the files on Filezilla and this is the structure of where Game & Watch is installed and what the name looks like on Filezilla.

media/fat/games/GameNWatch

on the Mister menu it's
Consoles
then GnW *it reads exactly like that*
Moondandy
Top Contributor

If you use Downloader it will be GnW in the Consoles folder, but if you use Update All it also downloads and updates the names.txt file which displays the core in the menu as Game & Watch.

I strongly recommend using names.txt even if you don't use Update All, as it makes navigating the cores so much easier.
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... /names.txt
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

Search for "18 Game & Watch Games For Mister FPGA" on the archive to get an all new updated pack.
Backgrounds are new (a bit higher resolution), no borders. No shadows in this one.
Mario, Mickey & Donald backgrounds tweaked so the dual screens match up.
KremlingKuthroat19

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Absolutely marvelous work @Ashfall! This is extremely impressive and should be the default pack for Game & Watch since it covers all SM510 games and are the best versions of the games imo.

We should figure out the best method of consolidating these ROMs and making it accessible to anyone who wants to add to the collection for missing games such as obscure Tiger games or the Elektronica games for example. Whatever method is best should be updated on the link to the games folder from archive.org that's already on the core's Github page. Maybe, if Pierco was open to it, we could just submit working LCD game roms directly to him and he could udpate the archive.org link/directory.

Also, a couple of points I was thinking about. Since there are essentially unlimited control methods for LCD games, would it be possible to handle this core and other future LCD games sort of like MRAs are treated for the arcade games? The main reason is that it will give you the ability to map controls on a per game level. If that's out of the scope of this core, then are there some good alernatives for mapping games individually? Maybe MiSTer main can add a feature to save an individual game map?

Another feature that'd be neat is to be able to pause the Game & Watch core. Sure it's not an official feature, but it'd be nice to be able to pause the game if you get an important phone call or something like that when aiming for high scores.

Lastly, what do you guys think the scope of this core can be for the long-term? Could it include Milton Bradley Microvision games (the first handheld console), and are any and all LCD games possible on this core? Just want to get your guys thoughts on the scope of the core if you don't mind sharing :)
Larn Conner

Ashfall wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:07 pm Search for "18 Game & Watch Games For Mister FPGA" on the archive to get an all new updated pack.
Backgrounds are new (a bit higher resolution), no borders. No shadows in this one.
I didn't know what you meant by "no shadows in this one". I didn't really realize what you seem to mean is you took out the reflection of the painted parts of the scene out? I've seen some real Game & Watch games on Youtube and the reflections are there, it makes the game feel a bit more 3D. Without the reflection, the game now appears flat, like your average video game. With the reflections, it feels more like a Game & Watch game.

Update: Been checking more closely at the images in a real Game & Watch on Youtube and everything casts a shadow/reflection on the background. The LCD sprites and the painted backgrounds, including the LCD time. Went back to an older GNW from an earlier download and even those do not have shadows/reflections for the LCD sprites.
Ashfall

Unread post by Ashfall »

Larn Conner wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:42 pm
Ashfall wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:07 pm Search for "18 Game & Watch Games For Mister FPGA" on the archive to get an all new updated pack.
I didn't know what you meant by "no shadows in this one". I didn't really realize what you seem to mean is you took out the reflection of the painted parts of the scene out? I've seen some real Game & Watch games on Youtube and the reflections are there, it makes the game feel a bit more 3D. Without the reflection, the game now appears flat, like your average video game. With the reflections, it feels more like a Game & Watch game.

Update: Been checking more closely at the images in a real Game & Watch on Youtube and everything casts a shadow/reflection on the background. The LCD sprites and the painted backgrounds, including the LCD time. Went back to an older GNW from an earlier download and even those do not have shadows/reflections for the LCD sprites.
The PNG background images have fake shadows added. SVG is not possible to do shadows, since it's vector graphics. It's a good effect to simulate a real Game & Watch. Since others have already compiled those I focused on the no-shadow version. On a real Game & Watch that I have, the shadows are dependent on room lighting. Sometimes they are very stark, and sometimes virtually non-existent. IMHO I think shadows should be an effect in the core that can be increased/decreased in intensity and direction to suit one's preference, sort of like scanlines or shadow masks. But that may not be possible of course.
Larn Conner

Ashfall wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:29 pm The PNG background images have fake shadows added. SVG is not possible to do shadows, since it's vector graphics. It's a good effect to simulate a real Game & Watch. Since others have already compiled those I focused on the no-shadow version. On a real Game & Watch that I have, the shadows are dependent on room lighting. Sometimes they are very stark, and sometimes virtually non-existent. IMHO I think shadows should be an effect in the core that can be increased/decreased in intensity and direction to suit one's preference, sort of like scanlines or shadow masks. But that may not be possible of course.
I noticed the shadows do get longer or shorter as the person moves the screen while they are pressing buttons. Since the game screen on a MiSTer would not move, shadows could remain somewhat static. Yes, I imagine adding these effects to the core would be ideal, but I imagine the first priority would be getting the core working with most games.

I personally love the background shadows/reflections, adds to the feel that this is a GNW game.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

I've updated the archive with slightly adjusted .svg alignments for Donkey Kong, Life Boat and Mickey & Donald.

It's quite hard to preserve the original aspect ratio of the segments, while having them fit to the backgrounds correctly. I found out that working with numbers instead of going by eye, gives better results.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Great to have a complete G&W SM-510 pack. I also prefer backgrounds with shadows and it would indeed be great if the LCD sprites could cast shadows as well, though that might be tricky to do well in fpga.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:00 pm [...] it would indeed be great if the LCD sprites could cast shadows as well, though that might be tricky to do well in fpga.
Not to mention simulating liquid crystal "ripples" if you push too hard on the screen :mrgreen: