8bitdo Pro 2 Wired USB Xbox controller not working?

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
Jegriva

8bitdo Pro 2 Wired USB Xbox controller not working?

Unread post by Jegriva »

Hello,
I know the 8bitdo products are a jungle of name, specifics and products, but I bought this controller:

8bitdo-pro-2-wired-controller-black.jpg
8bitdo-pro-2-wired-controller-black.jpg (10.01 KiB) Viewed 6098 times

thinking it could be a great way to play future PS1 games, but unfortunately the Mister FPGA (updated this morning) doesn't recognize it.
edr

Re: 8bitdo Pro 2 Wired USB Xbox controller not working?

Unread post by edr »

Interesting, I have a somewhat similar one (https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-usb-gamepad/) which works fine for PSX (and the sticks even click for L3/R3, though not used in PSX games). And all my other 8BitDo controllers are recognized. In case you overlooked it you need to map it in the main MiSTer menu first (F12 after boot), before it can be mapped in the PSX core.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

No, even when trying to map the joypad, nothing gets detected.
edr

Unread post by edr »

Jegriva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:54 pm No, even when trying to map the joypad, nothing gets detected.
Probably you already tried, but if you haven't - try a different controller, if you have one, in that same USB port, to make sure it's not a problem with the USB port or the USB hub.
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I'm wondering if this product actually does not support x-input, since windows 10 is required for PC use. Their xbox-branded SN30 for android also weirdly could not connect to hardly anything else, including xbox consoles. This could be the reverse that it only uses the native xb1 communication protocol.
edr

Unread post by edr »

FoxbatStargazer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:51 pm I'm wondering if this product actually does not support x-input, since windows 10 is required for PC use.
Interesting, wonder if this controller supports different input modes like some of their other controllers. It's NOT mentioned in the manual - https://download.8bitdo.com/Manual/Cont ... r-xbox.pdf

But maybe worth a try using these instructions from the SN30:
https://manuals.plus/8bitdo/8bitdo-sn30 ... ser-manual

Basically, try turning off the controller (hold START until light off), then when turning on, hold down one of the combos, for ex. START + B (Android mode) and then try to map in MiSTer and see if recognized.
DiamondDave

Unread post by DiamondDave »

Jegriva wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:48 pm Hello,
I know the 8bitdo products are a jungle of name, specifics and products, but I bought this controller:

thinking it could be a great way to play future PS1 games, but unfortunately the Mister FPGA (updated this morning) doesn't recognize it.
I own this too (for use with PS emulators on my Xbox Series X), but doesn't it say right on the box that it's only for use with Xbox? Nothing at all about PC or other consoles being supported.

I know Xbox has some special security features so only supported controllers can use it's USB inputs, so maybe due to that it can't be used on other USB devices?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

DiamondDave wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:41 am

I own this too (for use with PS emulators on my Xbox Series X), but doesn't it say right on the box that it's only for use with Xbox? Nothing at all about PC or other consoles being supported.

I know Xbox has some special security features so only supported controllers can use it's USB inputs, so maybe due to that it can't be used on other USB devices?
8bitdo's site claims that it works with Windows 10+. But again, that's way more restrictive than x-input, which works on older windows. (usually mimicing a 360 controller.)

Their android controller for xcloud was also pretty limited (d-input only, cannot connect to any xbox). I have to think they are working under some funky restrictions to get official xbox licensing.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

DiamondDave wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:41 am

Well, I am accustomed to the idea that everything works with Linux.

Apparently someone is trying.
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/c ... o_2_wired/
Sigismond0

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

Not that it's any help to someone that already owns this exact controller, but the SN30 Pro series all work perfectly with MiSTer. No real benefit to having the Xbox branded version when the original already works, unless you also want the Xbox features to use on that console.
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

Sigismond0 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:25 pm Not that it's any help to someone that already owns this exact controller, but the SN30 Pro series all work perfectly with MiSTer. No real benefit to having the Xbox branded version when the original already works, unless you also want the Xbox features to use on that console.
Yeah, I have a lot of games on Xbox, I thought I could kill two birs with one stone.
zoopster

Unread post by zoopster »

I've made the same mistake. Hopefully it will be supported in the future.
Xtro

Unread post by Xtro »

You can make this pad working with MiSTer if you keep pressed B button then connect to USB, but you need to do this each time you connect it.
MorkMikael

Unread post by MorkMikael »

Xtro wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:22 pm You can make this pad working with MiSTer if you keep pressed B button then connect to USB, but you need to do this each time you connect it.
i think that's the normal 8bitdo Pro 2 Wired USB and not for the 8bitdo Pro 2 Wired USB Xbox controller.
Xtro

Unread post by Xtro »

MorkMikael wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:00 pm
Xtro wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:22 pm You can make this pad working with MiSTer if you keep pressed B button then connect to USB, but you need to do this each time you connect it.
i think that's the normal 8bitdo Pro 2 Wired USB and not for the 8bitdo Pro 2 Wired USB Xbox controller.
Yes, I own the 8bitdo Pro 2 Wired USB compatible with Switch and Windows 10, thought would be the same for 8bitdo Pro 2 Wired USB Xbox.
By the way, I am unable to put my controller in xinput mode, if I connect to USB with X button pressed no LED turns on and pad is not detected.
MorkMikael

Unread post by MorkMikael »

i think just plugging in the controller uses the x-input mode (i may be wrong here) i think holding B set it to direct input. i dont think the controller has any more modes.(so when you press the button you get a mode that haven't been set by the controller firmware. that would my guess)