Windows NT 4 - WORKING on ao486!

NML32

Re: Windows NT 4 - WORKING on ao486!

Unread post by NML32 »

thera34 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:51 pm I made successful PPP connection :)
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I haven't been successful. :oops:

When I click on Dial-Up Networking for the first time, it prompts me to install it.
Maybe I'm missing a setting while installing and configuring Dial-Up Networking?

I'll keep trying. :)
thera34

Unread post by thera34 »

NML32 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:05 pm
thera34 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:51 pm I made successful PPP connection :)
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I haven't been successful. :oops:

When I click on Dial-Up Networking for the first time, it prompts me to install it.
Maybe I'm missing a setting while installing and configuring Dial-Up Networking?

I'll keep trying. :)
When you first click on Dial-Up Networking, it will prompt you to install RAS (Remote Access) files.
Mount the Win NT 4.0 CD-ROM and navigate to /i386 folder. There will be the "rascfg" files and the rest.
The setup will copy the necessary files/install services until it will install Remote Access Setup and ask you to add a modem:
Capture1a.PNG
Capture1a.PNG (104.27 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
Hit Yes, then in the following window, check "Don't detect my modem..."
In the next window, click on "Have disk" and point to where modem9x driver is (I use a FAT 500MB VHD only with drivers and usual apps)
From that point on, the setup will take you to use the Generic null modem, hit OK, hit Continue, check only TCP/IP when prompted then again Continue
Setup will continue and at some point it will ask you to restart. Do so, and after login try the steps described in my previous post :)
It's own telnet works fine, so other old terminals like CRT (Now SecureCRT), didn't test yet much. mIRC probably works fine, so does basic webpages.

I quickly re-made the steps on a clean NT VHD, here's a capture of all process, the only thing I cut was the blue screen waiting period, the rest of waiting for install is real :) https://youtu.be/JEPMJSWws5E

*Later edit
Thanks to @NML32: After installing Dial-Up Networking, you will get an Event Error at every boot. It doesn't break PPP (at least from my very few tests), but get rid off it by re-running the Service Pack 6 (mount misternt.iso CD-ROM and run sp6ai386) and restart when asked.
*Even later Edit: I compiled all these infos into what I hope is a more comprehensible mini how-to viewtopic.php?p=50173#p50173
thera34

Unread post by thera34 »

To my surprise, Panzer General 2 works better on NT Workstation 4.0 than on Windows 95/98 :shock:

It will not be on full speed on some animations (we're still on our ao486 after all), but the sound is ok, does not get looped/garbled like on W98.
Moving troops, attacking etc plays authentic enough, and overall, it makes an enjoyable experience. Saving/loading are fast, no special issues encountered.

In my book, that's a big plus for this core, PG2 being one of my old time favorite game :)
PG2-NT_ao486.png
PG2-NT_ao486.png (721.58 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
[/size]
NML32

Unread post by NML32 »

Thank you to everyone that has added to the NT4.0 install guides.
Things I have installed after following the NT4 install and PPP setup guides. I also configured the dial-up MiSTer Modem.

IE6 SP1
Kermit v0.85 (Win32)
Office 2000 Pro
mIRC32 v5.3 32Bit (Server irc.libera.chat Port 6667) (Channel ##MiSTerFPGA)
FileZilla v219a
alpha4 (ANSI Telnet) WordleBBS: bbswordle.com:23 Looks good with ANSI.
I'm able to Map a drive to my NAS storage.

I'm able to print to my Networked Brother MFC7860DW Laser Printer.
I randomly chose a Brother Laser printer (Brother HL-4) from the list of NT 4 printer drivers.
The guide I followed to connect to my networked printer: https://kb.iu.edu/d/aiso#:~:text=Click% ... 20Printing

Fun stuff. :D
NML32-NT4.JPG
NML32-NT4.JPG (113.71 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
alexoughton

Unread post by alexoughton »

thera34 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:34 pm Thanks to @NML32: After installing Dial-Up Networking, you will get an Event Error at every boot. It doesn't break PPP (at least from my very few tests), but get rid off it by re-running the Service Pack 6 (mount misternt.iso CD-ROM and run sp6ai386) and restart when asked.
*Even later Edit: I compiled all these infos into what I hope is a more comprehensible mini how-to viewtopic.php?p=50173#p50173
@thera34 Thanks so much for getting this working and for adding the steps to the guide thread.

A thought on the SP6a reinstall thing... It might be possible to avoid this step by providing it with the slipstreamed files instead of the original ISO when first prompted for RAS installation. If I have some time later I will look into that, or see if there's something helpful which can be added to the ISO if it's not quite what it needs yet.
alexoughton

Unread post by alexoughton »

thera34 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:55 pm To my surprise, Panzer General 2 works better on NT Workstation 4.0 than on Windows 95/98 :shock:
That is incredibly surprising, as NT4 isn't exactly known for its gaming prowess! My first thought is that it could be related to the graphics driver we're using, as it uses a linear frame buffer (as opposed to the paged one in the W95 driver), and also an improved version of the framebuffer DLL is installed which is supposed to provide some performance benefits.
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

I remember playing the sims on a real A0486, it was a bit slugish but it worked, I wonder if anyone tried to run it on NT with the AO486 core, because it didn't work at all on win98 with the core even running at 100mhz
thera34

Unread post by thera34 »

Workaround I use for shared folder: Boot the NT in MS-DOS mode, run misterfs there, copy the files then reboot in NT mode afterwards.