Is it possible to switch MiSTer.ini and MiSTer_alt.ini with "Reset / OSD / User" buttons?

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
marcelosofth

Is it possible to switch MiSTer.ini and MiSTer_alt.ini with "Reset / OSD / User" buttons?

Unread post by marcelosofth »

I use CRT and LCD TV and need to switch between settings using Mister buttons! 8-)
Sigismond0

Re: Is it possible to switch MiSTer.ini and MiSTer_alt.ini with "Reset / OSD / User" buttons?

Unread post by Sigismond0 »

No, but you can switch with a shortcut on your controller. Select+up/down/left/right switches between them
MiSTer currently supports up to 3 additional INI files that can be toggled in the OSD menu, either by going to Misc. Options (press left while in the menu) or by holding the menu back button on your controller and pressing a direction. This is useful if you need to switch between video configurations often. To get started, make copies of your INI file and rename them:

mister_alt_1.ini activated by back + left

mister_alt_2.ini activated by back + up

mister_alt_3.ini activated by back + down

Additionally, you can switch back to your default mister.ini by pressing back + right or by selecting Main.:
CartoonDonkey

Re: Is it possible to switch MiSTer.ini and MiSTer_alt.ini with "Reset / OSD / User" buttons?

Unread post by CartoonDonkey »

Is this still not possible with the keyboard? Showed up to a retro event with my mister and was stuck with a video mode I could not display. My connected Bluetooth controllers of course time out / disconnect before it's able to receive the signal to switch to the alt ini.
I suppose this is only possible with a hard wired controller of some kind. I see this as a major shortfall of this feature.

The keyboard won't work either. Saw YouTube video saying you can hit the OSD and reset button at the same time but that doesn't work for me either. Anyone?? BUELLER?

bazza_12
Top Contributor

Unread post by bazza_12 »

just bumping this.. wondered if anyone knew how to switch configs with a keyboard..

The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back. Turn back
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

CartoonDonkey wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:55 pm

Is this still not possible with the keyboard? Showed up to a retro event with my mister and was stuck with a video mode I could not display. My connected Bluetooth controllers of course time out / disconnect before it's able to receive the signal to switch to the alt ini.
I suppose this is only possible with a hard wired controller of some kind. I see this as a major shortfall of this feature.

The keyboard won't work either. Saw YouTube video saying you can hit the OSD and reset button at the same time but that doesn't work for me either. Anyone?? BUELLER?

you should be able if you did map your keys for buttons in the osd. arrow key left and the back button ex.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

neogeo81 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:38 am

you should be able if you did map your keys for buttons in the osd. arrow key left and the back button ex.

I don't mean to sound stupid but this is confusing me, I can navigate to the menus and I can select an alt config. that's not the issue.. The issue is how can I do that when I'm not connected to the primary screen and the MiSTer doesn't show the picture until I've selected the right configuration?

i.e I've got main mister.ini set up for a CRT TV using Scart via the VGA output on the I/O board.
If I wanted to use my PC monitor to use the AO486 core or MacPlus then I'd select the alt mister.ini from the menu. However that would mean I'd have to unplug the VGA/Scart and plug in the PC VGA monitor cable.. which I can't do as the MiSTer is switched on.

So I want to be able to plug the PC VGA monitor cable in and then - via a keypress (say.. shift & right arrow) have it select the next mister.ini config.. without the need for me to see what's going on.

Does that make sense?

neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

Yes. When you map joypad buttons to your keyboard you qlso map the buttons for confirm and back for osd menu. When you want to swtich to the first alt ini you press that defined back button and left together.

bazza_12
Top Contributor

ok i'll give that a whirl.. although to be honest i did glance at the remapping joypad/keyboard settings earlier and got totally confused..

Bernouilli

Unread post by Bernouilli »

I think that you can switch from one mister uni to another using the buttons from the io board.
Try this : press osd to get the osd and then press both the reset button and the user button.

Fed

Unread post by Fed »

marcelosofth wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:47 pm

I use CRT and LCD TV and need to switch between settings using Mister buttons! 8-)

Switching .ini files can now also be achieved using the "Remote" Extension by @wizzo.