USB hub not being recognized

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
8bitAndy

USB hub not being recognized

Unread post by 8bitAndy »

I have a powered 4-port hub that works perfectly. I'm now trying a powered 6-port hub and having some trouble. My USB devices are a keyboard, bluetooth and wifi dongles.
The 6 port hub works on Windows, and sometimes works with MiSTer if I unplug and replug it in after the Mister boots. The rest of the time it acts as if nothing is plugged in.
My Linux version is the latest from Nov. 21. I've re-run the downloader script. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this problem?
amstan

Re: USB hub not being recognized

Unread post by amstan »

I would check the `lsusb` and `dmesg -w` output via the ssh console, that's usually how one debugs usb problems.
caad

Unread post by caad »

The MiSTer USB OTG port is incredibly finicky. You are probably stuck with the 4-port hub until you can find another one that works.

I had the best luck with a spare part USB hub from a cash register PC. It works 100% flawlessly. I suggest looking in that direction if you have trouble - older, solid parts that are built to work.
grizzly

Unread post by grizzly »

You could also try plugging in the 6port hub in the 4port hub.
So the DE-10 "sees" the 4port hub "first".
And you could probably power only one of the hubs and would probably not matter which one.
cursedverses

Unread post by cursedverses »

Maybe a bit late to suggest, but this is a nice hub I have working with my MiSTer...
https://www.dlink.com/en/products/dub-h ... usb-20-hub
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Try and rerun the MiSTer binary.

SSH into the mister with username/password of root/1, navigate to /media/fat, and execute the file named "MiSTer". This will give you a look at the debug output of the mister binary. Then try and do things with the usb hub and see if it reacts at all. You might see some clues in addition to the tip by amstan above.
birdybro~