New MiSTer Setup issues

Just got a MiSTer and need some help? Join the forum and post your questions here!
Beeble

New MiSTer Setup issues

Unread post by Beeble »

I guess the questions are best posted here, received the MiSTress IO Board and finished the initial setup:

1) Why can´t I connect to my new MiSTer setup after changing the Hostname? FTP gives me Error: Connection refused by Server

Tried it under Linux while editing the file and with the Scripts provided to no avail.

2) My new setup seems to take some pauses, when opening the Shell with F9 it takes a few seconds until I get the Login screen.
FTP behaviour was also stuttering comapred to my first Mister, feels like on a dial up moden when connectiong or browsing.
File transfer is fast, aber he thought 2 or 3 second about it doing nothing before.

Any ideas?
Beeble

Re: New MiSTer Setup issues

Unread post by Beeble »

Last but not least, some scripts give me a syntax error when downloaded from Github, how is the official way to download those? Right Click and "Save as.." ?
Flandango
Core Developer

Unread post by Flandango »

How did you change your hostname?
As for downloading files from github, first click on the file you want to download. It will then "show" you the file and provide you with either a Download button, which you can click to download said file or it will show you a RAW button...which you can right click on that and do a Save As.
Depending on what you want to download or multiple files, you are probably best off downloading the whole Zip file, extract in temporary location and copy the files from there.
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

There is a script for changing the Hostname, which didnt run from the UI but within the shell called "change_hostname.ini" and "change_hostname.sh" It runs though fine and confirmed the new name.

I have a WLAN AP behind my router, i unplugged that coz it seems he got his IP from the AP, which might explain the "lag" befoer anything happens network wise, but need to confirm that.

Is it normal that it takes a few seconds after pressing F9 to get the login? Until then the Screen is black with cursor blinking.
Bas
Top Contributor

Unread post by Bas »

The hostname means nothing if it's not know in DNS. You should connect to the MiSTer by IP first. Let it receive that from your router. Setting up a local DNS zone is a whole new can of worms.
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

I always connected by using the IP, worked before the name change, "Error: Conenction refused by Server" after the name change. Didn´t touch anything else.

Edith said: Nothing beside running the Update_all
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

Update: Remade the SD card for the new MiSTer (it´s actually a MiSTress), run all the updates. Now both are online with the same IP.

How is this even possible?
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

Ok, same IP seems normal, FTP issues I found the solution in an older Post:

"Worth noting that if you change /etc/hostname you should update the 127.0.0.1 entry in /etc/hosts. Without this ftpd won't work at a minimum."

Thanks you, Mellified!
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

I managed to change the MAC Address and modified the etc/hosts -> I found my Amiga Mistress there with 127.0.1.1 under the entry 127.0.0.1 local host and gave her the 127.0.0.1 loopback adress, but FTP still failes with Connection refused. Which step am I missing?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

What do use for ftp? WinSCP? An outdated version?
Beeble

Unread post by Beeble »

Nope, FileZilla.. and it worked fine until the namechange.. which is complete now,
after I removed an unwanted "space" in the hostname, it works like a charm :)

Thank you all !