MiSTer Won't Turn On

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
misterrocks

MiSTer Won't Turn On

Unread post by misterrocks »

I received one of these:

https://misteraddons.com/products/miste ... minum-case

but nothing happens when I turn the power switch on. No LEDs, no heat, no HDMI output.

I have the SD card inserted into the slot marked primary, the power supply connected to the barrel jack not marked +5v (the one in the lower left corner), the HDMI cable connected, and nothing else.

Should an LED come on?
tankjr

Re: MiSTer Won't Turn On

Unread post by tankjr »

Which IO board did you get? If you got the analog IO board, there should be a y-splitter that allows you to plug in both barrel jacks (one for the USB hub board, and one for the DE10-nano).
misterrocks

I have the digital IO board.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

If you are using the Digital I/O MiSTer addon board just connect your DE10-Nano power supply into the Digital IO boards DC power socket, then connect one end of the male jumper cable into the DE10-Nano boards DC power socket and the other male end into the USB Hub’s DC power socket. You can now control all the boards power via the on/off switch on the Digital IO board.
misterrocks

I have 3 barrel jacks exposed through the enclosure. The two labeled +5v are connected with the jumper cable, and the third is connected to the power supply going into the wall. Do I have that right? Flipping the switch on the enclosure to ON doesn't seem to do anything.
annette

Unread post by annette »

This is sold as a preconfigured mister setup and is expected to be plug and play, only needing to copy over roms and you have tried obvious solutions to your issue.

Just contact your seller for support as it not working as expected.
FPGA64
Top Contributor

Unread post by FPGA64 »

Connect the power to the IO board at the top of the stack. Join the DE10 power supply jack to the USB power jack as I said with the male to male jumper

So power to the top right, link the two on the far left with the jumper cable.
misterrocks

It worked! Now I get a black screen if I choose any of the games in the menu. I'm guessing that's because the device doesn't ship with ROMs. Are there any ROMs included at all so I can give one a try?

Is it possible to only show menu items for games that have ROMs?

BTW should the background of the menu be a sort of scrambled black and white pattern?
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

misterrocks wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:35 pm It worked! Now I get a black screen if I choose any of the games in the menu. I'm guessing that's because the device doesn't ship with ROMs. Are there any ROMs included at all so I can give one a try?

Is it possible to only show menu items for games that have ROMs?

BTW should the background of the menu be a sort of scrambled black and white pattern?
The background is the old school static/white background noise a CRT TV used to pick up when you tune into a channel with no station.
You can change it by hitting F1 on a USB Keyboard plugged into the MiSTer. You can create a custom background by finding a jpg or png file and naming it menu (ether menu.jpg or menu.png) and putting it on the root of your MiSTer's Micro SD card.

As for games/roms you need to find them yourself. Just search the web, there many sites that has individual roms to select.
There also full packs for various consoles or microcomputers that has complete libraries of roms for Emulation or Flash Cart use, a few are intended for MiSTer. You can also browse Archives.org for games and rom packs.

Consoles are kinda straight forwards as you just need to put the roms in the corresponding folders inside of the \games directory.
Some consoles will require a bios file as well.

Run the official update script at least once to get most of the cores.
Download the Update_All to get unofficial and Jortego cores, Mame roms, some of the Systems Bios files and other supporting files.

PSX Core is still in Beta and can be buggy, you can find more about that here

Although no way complete, check out Pezz 82 on youtube for his guide on various consoles and microcomputers
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.