does psx support analog pads?

misterious

does psx support analog pads?

Unread post by misterious »

I tried to d/l spyro or tomb raider but using the old digital pad without 2 joysticks is really a pain, I read around (never owned a psx) that the playstation supports a ps2 analog stile gamepad and spyro and tomb raider are supported but despite setting the option in the menu nothing really happens. Is it just the emulator not ready or it's me missing something?
Caldor
Top Contributor

Re: does psx support analog pads?

Unread post by Caldor »

Check the options, the controllers can be set to digital, analog and guncon. Mind that some games wont boot while its set to analog though, as they do not consider it a valid controller. Probably because analog controllers did not exist to begin with
Chris23235
Top Contributor

Unread post by Chris23235 »

Tomb Raider didn't support analog controls, Spyro did.
Aspie

Unread post by Aspie »

Is Tomb Raider fully working yet? It loads and goes to the menu screen but then locks up after I try to start a game.
edr

Unread post by edr »

There's a lot of discussion right now in the MiSTer Discord (psx-core-testing) re analog handling. We'll probably see some changes/improvements in this area in the coming days/weeks. One interesting comment there is about how games that support analog would automatically turn on analog mode on the controller - not something the MiSTer supports currently.

Ape Escape is a classic analog stick title - don't think it runs yet though.

For now there is a way to use the analog sticks alt-mapped to the d-pad and shoulders for ex, and that's already useful in a bunch of games esp. 3d ones -
  • If you're using a DS with analog button (DS2 etc), turn on the analog button (red light on)
  • Map everything properly in the main MiSTer joystick mapping menu (it will ask for L stick R/D, R stick R/D, and later will ask for L stick R/D again).
  • Run the PSX core and map the controller here also in the PSX menu (D-pad, buttons). L3 and R3 are clicks on the L and R controller sticks (though L3 and R3 are not used for anything)
  • When it asks about alternative controls, say yes and map L-stick to dpad directions, map R-stick Left to L1, and R-stick Right to R1. This for ex. lets you use the L stick to move in a game like Xenogears, and R stick to rotate camera L/R (camera rotate is reversed in some games like Vagrant Story to keep gamers sharp :) ) - I do a game-specific map (which acts core-specific actually) in that case and reverse the L1/R1 on the R-stick (doesn't save currently so have to redo each core boot)
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

We would probably need a database of title IDs for games that support analog mode. Then when the user tries to load a game with a matching title ID, analog mode could be turned on automatically. Creating such a database with the PS1's massive library is no small feat however.
Flashback

Unread post by Flashback »

I am using a DS4 with the 8bitdo bluetooth adapter and I cant get true analog to work. The sticks don't register when trying to map them... although they do function as mapped to dpad when using the "digital" option. Ordering a different bluetooth adapter to see if that works.
rhester72
Top Contributor

Unread post by rhester72 »

softtest9 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:14 pm We would probably need a database of title IDs for games that support analog mode. Then when the user tries to load a game with a matching title ID, analog mode could be turned on automatically. Creating such a database with the PS1's massive library is no small feat however.
It's largely already done by Duckstation, but in reverse - they default to analog and force digital as necessary based on the hash of the EXE on the root of the disc combined with the disc ID IIRC.
Chris23235
Top Contributor

I just tried Tomb Raider III which has analog support and it works fine, RR4 also works fine. I am using a wired 8BitDo SuperNES pad.
misterious

Unread post by misterious »

not sure what I did (twearking correctly the analog support in the menu?) but tomb raider III works as Chris23235 mentioned , even if the psx pad configuration didn't ask me to setup the 2 sticks

keep on testing this wonderful core !
Chris23235
Top Contributor

misterious wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:16 am not sure what I did (twearking correctly the analog support in the menu?) but tomb raider III works as Chris23235 mentioned , even if the psx pad configuration didn't ask me to setup the 2 sticks

keep on testing this wonderful core !
The axis in the PSX Pad configuration default to the configuration you made in the MiSTer menu.