MiSTerArch

Kernel, Main, Utilities & Applications, Miscellaneous Devices.
Blamo

Re: MiSTerArch

Unread post by Blamo »

apologies to anyone mentioned, particularly amstan for derailing his thread. drama is unbecoming and unhealthy.

This seems like a fun project and as this is a community filled obligate tinkerers it will be fun to see how people leverage this and the frenchman build.
amstan

Unread post by amstan »

wark91 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:42 pm btrfs is still evolving a lot so maybe in some years it will be largely used and compete with ext4 or fat32 ....
since one months a lot of things happen on core AO486 to support Linux + WindowsNT 4.0
New commits also will come for better support on IDE, etc... maybe it will worth to test it again your issue on Windows 95.
Yeah, I'm optimistic. But also open to looking for this issue and maybe helping fix it.
I don't understand why people wants to play dosbox or something else on ARM side.
I don't either. It's a fun experiment, but performance would ruin it for me.
I would like to know @held's other reasons.

Dosbox is essentially a free thing that comes as an arch package. So there was nothing in it for anyone here to enable such use cases (despite it being not that useful on first glance).

I also hear that there's some performance improvements that could be done on dosbox with the framebuffer. IDK
Other point, we need to be aware of Linux and command lines to have benefits of this project. It will be a choice for persons who have habilities to put their hands on it at this stage of the project.
Yeah, I don't really mind nobody using this, and I'm not saying we should all move it. I just want it to be an option (at least for me personally).
I'm thankful that Mister_Main runs so well on other distros and compiling the kernel wasn't too hard. I essentially wrote 4 files to enable this other distro use case.
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

MiSTerArch does kinda look like a solution looking for a problem. Boot times are significantly longer and all the stated pros either don't work properly (BTRFS) or they're incredibly niche, such as being able to compile code (but no mention of editing code or making assets), use pacman, or browse an 8GB zip file.

I don't want to disrespect the project or anything, and you are free to work on what you want for any reason or no reason. But I don't understand why MiSTerArch is being hyped up so much, at least at this point in development.. and unless the problems (such as long boot times) are fixed, I hope this distro does not become the default option for the MiSTer.
amstan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:12 pm Audience? Anyone that really likes using linux.
Probably not a lot of people in the MiSTer community then. Personally, I use Linux now because it's slightly less obnoxious than Windows 10/11, but I wouldn't say I'm a fan.
amstan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:12 pm BTRFS + cores? Not sure what you mean by this.
I mean FPGA cores. And as mentioned by some other posts in this thread, it appears that BTRFS in MiSTerArch does not play nicely with some cores like ao486.
amstan

Unread post by amstan »

softtest9 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:05 pm MiSTerArch does kinda look like a solution looking for a problem.
Maybe. It's generally just a lot of tiny problems that I personally have and the solution wasn't too bad to implement.
Boot times are significantly longer
I don't consider +8 seconds long boot time to be a problem for me. I'm quite happy to sacrifice this in order to have the flexibility to add any other startup services from a vast repo.
I mean FPGA cores. And as mentioned by some other posts in this thread, it appears that BTRFS in MiSTerArch does not play nicely with some cores like ao486.
Eh, I'm not too worried yet. And you're free to use ext4 or even exfat for the games partition just as well. I'm not opinionated at all.
There might be an interaction of how MiSTer loads files, idk. Maybe we just uncovered a bug that applies to other filesystems too. I'm optimistic here.
But I don't understand why MiSTerArch is being hyped up so much, at least at this point in development..
If I hyped this too much I appologize.

There seem to be a lot of interested people for some reason though.

In terms of early vs late development: it seems to work just fine so far. Call it beta or what you want. But if I had to use this from now on I don't think I would be missing much IMHO.
I hope this distro does not become the default option for the MiSTer.

Probably not a lot of people in the MiSTer community then. Personally, I use Linux now because it's slightly less obnoxious than Windows 10/11, but I wouldn't say I'm a fan.
It's quite far from that, especially not without a lot of extra polish for non linux people. It doesn't have to ever be the default.
gamesfan

Unread post by gamesfan »

Amstan,
Do you know how one could launch a core+game from a command? I know Mister now supports MGL files, and I was hoping to leverage your OS to install Emulationstation Frontend, not to call retroarch like other SBCs do, but to use the native cores Mister uses.
amstan

Unread post by amstan »

gamesfan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:00 pm Amstan,
Do you know how one could launch a core+game from a command? I know Mister now supports MGL files, and I was hoping to leverage your OS to install Emulationstation Frontend, not to call retroarch like other SBCs do, but to use the native cores Mister uses.
Never tried emulationstation. If it's just a program to manage things around it might be doable to install under arch.

In terms of how does one start a core+game? I've seen discussions about that in viewtopic.php?f=27&t=524, but it's not looking very good.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

wark91 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:42 pm Regarding this project, I don't understand why people wants to play dosbox or something else on ARM side. It is better to use a real RPI4 or his computer. the ARM is like a RPI1 without GPU so ....
If you already have the hardware to output 15Khz with MiSTer you might as well use it.

I would love to use the linux side to playback mkv files of ripped DVDs that are 480i. Basically television shows that were recorded on video tape, they look like crap on modern displays. I'm not sure if that's possible here though.
dshadoff
Core Developer

Unread post by dshadoff »

This is actually interesting, although my interest in it is probably completely different from what the authors' original intentions were.

I (personally) am not interested in playing games on it (as I would play games on MiSTer), but for some time I have considered using the DE-10 to interface with game machines directly - as a sort of development kit. Being able to code directly on DE-10, making the memory available to the game machine, and probe the signal bus at the same time is potentially quite an interesting use case. Different cores for different tests/uses. Something like a "laptop+everdrive+devkit+logic analyzer".

Having portions of the time-proven framework, together with a developer-centric unix, might help to create something new (what I am thinking of are very non-MiSTer things).
amstan

Unread post by amstan »

dshadoff wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:22 am This is actually interesting, although my interest in it is probably completely different from what the authors' original intentions were.
No, I share such ambitions here!

A few months ago I was debating on getting this de10 board anyway, and I didn't even know about MiSTer. See the references to litex and https://github.com/zangman/de10-nano/wiki in the last paragraph on my github.'

It feels like a shame to have to swap sd cards for this. Especially if I'm changing none of the physical hardware.
atrac17
Core Developer

Unread post by atrac17 »

It's wonderful work. I'm really grateful amstan made this, once he has SDRAM and can test everything he might see why we spun our own images. I just got Kung Fu 2 (new dump/rare prototype - not functional in mame) working for Irem M62 using the arch build. Just because I'm an asshole doesn't mean I'm not grateful.

Edit: Using it for development work and not playing games.
Solskogen

Unread post by Solskogen »

True about btrfs, but that has been said for alomost 10 years now ;-) Jokes aside, btrfs has gotten a lot better. I'm not just sure if its a good match for a SD card and the sdcard reader on the de10-nano. Compared to the sdcard reader on the Pi4, the de10 nano is *slooooow* (20MB/s vs 45MB/s write speed). One very good thing about MiSTerArch is that samba really works. Using the MiSTerOS (if you can call it that), copying large files (over 400MB) from my computer always fails. Don't know why.

The reason why people play dosbox (or compile on it, whatever) is that it's possible. I hope this isn't the first time you meet hardcore geeks ;-) If we scream loud enough somebody at NetBSD will port MiSTer to it!
softtest9

Unread post by softtest9 »

I am kinda just worried that a lot of people will adopt this setup as their default without being aware of any issues, and then Main_MiSTer and core repos will start getting bug reports related to half-working features in MiSTerArch - and developers may not even be aware that the user is using MiSTerArch, and they may be unable to reproduce an issue and not know why. So I'm just tempering the hype a little bit, not really trying to dump on the project.

Also to me, longer boot times does matter. A big part of the MiSTer's appeal is the overall console feel and how it is ready to go almost instantaneously. And I like the default Linux distro precisely because I don't notice that it's Linux. It's just there and gets out of the user's way.

With that said, I do actually miss BTRFS from my Linux desktop, as I don't particularly like exFAT (or FAT32). If you can get this working reliably, I might give MiSTerArch a shot.
dshadoff
Core Developer

This is a good point, and it is already an issue with several other non-standard configurations (LLAPI, Jotego cores, etc.).
It's pretty normal for forks to happen on open-source projects, but for end-users, it's best not to play with configurations they don't fully understand.

In this way, branding (naming) can help play a role, by clarifying that the configuration really is distinct - although a brand should be sufficiently distinct so that it is not confusing for either the user himself, or anybody he might seek help from.
held

Unread post by held »

amstan wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:55 pm I don't either. It's a fun experiment, but performance would ruin it for me.
I would like to know @held's other reasons.

Dosbox is essentially a free thing that comes as an arch package. So there was nothing in it for anyone here to enable such use cases (despite it being not that useful on first glance).

I also hear that there's some performance improvements that could be done on dosbox with the framebuffer. IDK
With the debug version its easy to debug old DOS programs, but if its practical remains to be seen :D
djhardrich

Unread post by djhardrich »

This is really cool, full xorg gui with a core going and working input via SNAC -and- usb keyboard and mouse input going to the LXDE Desktop at the same time (with zero overhead from the main MiSTer binary)….. Performance is about 1.5x the old Linux Desktop “core”! Working on more now, have mp4 playback working, need to patch an alsa config to get audio working. Also “kobodeluxe” is playing at full framerate!

Big shout outs to atrac17 and Amstan as always!

B3-FA36-D6-DB27-4814-9781-D2-C69811-B7-B3.jpg
B3-FA36-D6-DB27-4814-9781-D2-C69811-B7-B3.jpg (96.14 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
amstan

Unread post by amstan »

djhardrich wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:44 am full xorg gui
Cool!

Can you share the minimum list of packages you're using here?

So far I have

Code: Select all

xorg-server xf86-video-fbdev lxqt sddm
, but i'm clearly and embarassingly missing something dumb. sddm doesn't want to start (the systemctl service) for me.

@bbond007 was interested in this yesterday and in my rush I did not succeed in demonstrating.

Also, how on earth are you dual screening with different contents? I tought it only supported mirror mode. Is this a feature of main_mister?
djhardrich

Unread post by djhardrich »

xorg-server xf86-video-fbdev lxqt sddm xorg-xinit
should get you there, I was using lxde without sddm and manually running startx to get into the session after editing my .xinitrc to start lxde :)

Dual screen is achieved via Analog out to my VGA monitor, I’m using an Analog IO board (this one is from MiSTerAddons.com, a reputable vendor in the community) and the UserIO port on the Analog IO board is providing the dual input with a Genesis SNAC adapter with an 8bitdo m30 2.4ghz wireless Sega Genesis controller (not a usb controller).
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

Re: Lets actually try Hybrid Emulation

Post by Coolbho3k » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:41 pm

It appears possible, I’m working on it, and so far I’m optimistic. I’ve tested up to 1.2 GHz - a 50% increase - as well as a 400 MHz underclock - half the stock speed - and I’ve confirmed both options with a simple benchmark, without heavy stability testing. If it plays out well, I’ll likely have a kernel cpufreq driver ready in the next couple of weeks, and then it’ll be as simple as running a script.

If anyone is interested in lower power usage while idle, I got automatic frequency scaling working too. This would give us better power management, but as the Mister process currently keeps a single core at 100%, Linux will keep the CPU pegged at the maximum allowed speed all the time.

From my experience doing similar things to mobile devices, these ARM cores usually have a lot of headroom. And we have the luxury of active cooling too. I’m guessing at least 1 GHz should be reachable for all boards, if not 925 MHz, the official speed on the -C6 speed bin of the Cyclone V socfpga.

It likely isn’t possible to control core voltage on the Cyclone V socfpga, so even more extreme overclocks may be limited. If 1.2 GHz is stable on most boards though, it could be a great improvement.

Follow the work: https://github.com/coolbho3k/socfpga_oc
I thought this was worth mentioning here since it's a pretty big deal for the purpose of MisterArch
I always wondered why it wasn't an important focus to see how far the arm chip was "overclockable" since most people with a Mister have a fan to counter any potentiel heat issue. It would be massive for linux and emulation, as well as hybrid stuff, to have such an impressive OC.
dshadoff
Core Developer

I wouldn't overclock such a chip, especially when finding replacement boards is going to be hard for a while.
Neocaron

dshadoff wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:04 am I wouldn't overclock such a chip, especially when finding replacement boards is going to be hard for a while.
I tend to not agree with the "oc kills things" message. I think I've been OCing all my consoles and pcs (when possible) since the first Xbox (definitely not made for that) and I never killed a Cpu or GPU because of it.

Overclock is pretty safe when done properly and you keep basic things into consideration (temp and power).Since the De-10 doesn't have a fan in the first place for running with its base clocks and doesn't require higher power either to OC, I think overclocking while having a fan is probably as safe as can be. So overall I wouldn't be worried about damaging the chip. Plus, based of on the first tests the overhead is pretty high too. The only 2 things that can really damage a chip when overclocking are temp and power. If you keep these 2 things in check, once the right values are found, OC is as safe as stock imo.

Again this is based on my personal experience. And we don't have to all agree. :mrgreen:
dshadoff
Core Developer

Well, I'm sure you know what you're doing... one thing I notice in these forums though, is that once somebody posts about being successful with something (virtually anything, really), there are others who want to repeat that success but have none of the foundational knowledge about how to limit danger.

Just keep in mind that there are people who will want to follow, thinking that there is some reward but no risk and no training.
Neocaron

dshadoff wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:01 am Well, I'm sure you know what you're doing... one thing I notice in these forums though, is that once somebody posts about being successful with something (virtually anything, really), there are others who want to repeat that success but have none of the foundational knowledge about how to limit danger.

Just keep in mind that there are people who will want to follow, thinking that there is some reward but no risk and no training.

Oh I'm not the one working on it :mrgreen: I will sit back and watch to see how it unfold from the dev, but I just think it's awesome. That's all :)
And yes you are right, not everyone know what they are doing, but it shouldn't stop people from experimenting and see if anything good can come from there discovery. It's true for any tech project in general to be honest. Even more true for a project like the Mister.
amstan

Unread post by amstan »

Coolbho3k wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:41 pm https://github.com/coolbho3k/socfpga_oc
Just set CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y, so the module in question should be compatible with my -4 kernel update.

I tried git cloning and compiling his module it directly on my MiSTer, but it seems my -headers package is a little messed up as a result of cross compiling. This flow is supposed to "just work" though (for dkms and similar purposes). Oh well, leaving that for another day.
Coolbho3k

Unread post by Coolbho3k »

amstan wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:45 am
Coolbho3k wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:41 pm https://github.com/coolbho3k/socfpga_oc
Just set CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y, so the module in question should be compatible with my -4 kernel update.

I tried git cloning and compiling his module it directly on my MiSTer, but it seems my -headers package is a little messed up as a result of cross compiling. This flow is supposed to "just work" though (for dkms and similar purposes). Oh well, leaving that for another day.
Module is not fully baked at the moment and don't have access to my DE10 Nano till Monday. Will let you know

You can also probably drop the module into the kernel itself and compile it with everything. It's just as an LKM makes my development flow easier

A series of `devmem` commands to write clock registers can also achieve an overclock too, can figure these out too but would rather have my DE10 Nano on hand to test first before posting them
georgemog

Unread post by georgemog »

All, I thought that I would try the ArchLinux setup for MiSTer and have a go at installing LXDE desktop environment. I admit that I am not an ArchLinux guru and find it hard going compared with Centos or Ubuntu.

I followed the instructions on the following MOnSieurFPGA page for the initial install.

https://github.com/MOnSieurFPGA/MOnSieu ... age_Builds

Burn the image from the above site onto a micro SD card, insert it into the MiSTer and power it on.

SSH into the MiSTer as user alarm password alarm. Switch user to root and start.

[alarm@alarm ~]$ [b]su[/b]
Password: 
[root@alarm alarm]# [b]./setup.sh[/b]
   _____          _______    _________.__                     
  /     \   ____  \      \  /   _____/|__| ____  __ _________ 
 /  \ /  \ /  _ \ /   |   \ \_____  \ |  |/ __ \|  |  \_  __ \
/    Y    (  <_> )    |    \/        \|  \  ___/|  |  /|  | \/
\____|__  /\____/\____|__  /_______  /|__|\___  >____/ |__|   
        \/               \/        \/         \/              
/MiSTer	/media/fat	ciopfs	allow_other,default_permissions,use_ino,attr_timeout=0	0	0
SystemMaxUse=20M
%wheel ALL=(ALL:ALL) PASSWD: ALL
[monsieur]
SigLevel = Optional TrustAll
Server = https://github.com/MOnSieurFPGA/MOnSieurFPGA-Packages/releases/download/Packages
Vacuuming done, freed 0B of archived journals from /run/log/journal.
Vacuuming done, freed 0B of archived journals from /var/log/journal.
Vacuuming done, freed 0B of archived journals from /var/log/journal/15e991a1078a4963a152c01448ef99d3.
gpg: /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
gpg: no ultimately trusted keys found
gpg: starting migration from earlier GnuPG versions
gpg: porting secret keys from '/etc/pacman.d/gnupg/secring.gpg' to gpg-agent
gpg: migration succeeded
==> Generating pacman master key. This may take some time.
gpg: Generating pacman keyring master key...
gpg: key 2ED8B0673F36B9B0 marked as ultimately trusted
gpg: directory '/etc/pacman.d/gnupg/openpgp-revocs.d' created
gpg: revocation certificate stored as '/etc/pacman.d/gnupg/openpgp-revocs.d/615BBDA2A0F24EA1921E73552ED8B0673F36B9B0.rev'
gpg: Done
==> Updating trust database...
gpg: marginals needed: 3  completes needed: 1  trust model: pgp
gpg: depth: 0  valid:   1  signed:   0  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 1u
==> Appending keys from archlinuxarm.gpg...
==> Locally signing trusted keys in keyring...
  -> Locally signed 3 keys.
==> Importing owner trust values...
gpg: setting ownertrust to 4
gpg: inserting ownertrust of 4
gpg: setting ownertrust to 4
==> Updating trust database...
gpg: marginals needed: 3  completes needed: 1  trust model: pgp
gpg: depth: 0  valid:   1  signed:   3  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 1u
gpg: depth: 1  valid:   3  signed:   1  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 3m, 0f, 0u
gpg: depth: 2  valid:   1  signed:   0  trust: 1-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 0u
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                          247.3 KiB  45.4 KiB/s 00:05 [##########################################] 100%
 extra                                           2.6 MiB   151 KiB/s 00:18 [##########################################] 100%
 community                                       5.7 MiB   422 KiB/s 00:14 [##########################################] 100%
 alarm                                          91.9 KiB  26.4 KiB/s 00:03 [##########################################] 100%
 aur                                             8.1 KiB  11.7 KiB/s 00:01 [##########################################] 100%
 monsieur                                        2.2 KiB   793   B/s 00:03 [##########################################] 100%
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (7) db-5.3.28-5  gdbm-1.23-1  liblockfile-1.17_1-2  perl-5.34.0-3  xxhash-0.8.1-1  lockfile-progs-0.1.19-2
             rsync-3.2.3-4

Total Download Size:   15.45 MiB
Total Installed Size:  58.65 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] [b]press <CR>[/b]
:: Retrieving packages...
 perl-5.34.0-3-armv7h                           14.0 MiB   437 KiB/s 00:33 [##########################################] 100%
 db-5.3.28-5-armv7h                            916.8 KiB   471 KiB/s 00:02 [##########################################] 100%
 rsync-3.2.3-4-armv7h                          275.3 KiB  43.2 KiB/s 00:06 [##########################################] 100%
 gdbm-1.23-1-armv7h                            239.5 KiB  52.6 KiB/s 00:05 [##########################################] 100%
 xxhash-0.8.1-1-armv7h                          79.9 KiB  34.8 KiB/s 00:02 [##########################################] 100%
 liblockfile-1.17_1-2-armv7h                    16.6 KiB  5.90 KiB/s 00:03 [##########################################] 100%
 lockfile-progs-0.1.19-2-armv7h                  8.0 KiB   909   B/s 00:09 [##########################################] 100%
 Total (7/7)                                    15.5 MiB   249 KiB/s 01:04 [##########################################] 100%
(7/7) checking keys in keyring                                             [##########################################] 100%
(7/7) checking package integrity                                           [##########################################] 100%
(7/7) loading package files                                                [##########################################] 100%
(7/7) checking for file conflicts                                          [##########################################] 100%
(7/7) checking available disk space                                        [##########################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/7) installing gdbm                                                      [##########################################] 100%
(2/7) installing db                                                        [##########################################] 100%
(3/7) installing perl                                                      [##########################################] 100%
(4/7) installing xxhash                                                    [##########################################] 100%
(5/7) installing rsync                                                     [##########################################] 100%
(6/7) installing liblockfile                                               [##########################################] 100%
(7/7) installing lockfile-progs                                            [##########################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(3/3) Warn about old perl modules
loading packages...

Packages (8) fuse-common-3.10.5-1  fuse2-2.9.9-4  libnsl-2.0.0-2  python-3.10.2-1  ciopfs-0.4-3  cloud-guest-utils-0.32-1
             log2ram-1.6.0-1  usbmount-0.0.22-1

Total Download Size:   10.26 MiB
Total Installed Size:  49.96 MiB

python-3.10.2-1-armv7h                         10.1 MiB   868 KiB/s 00:12 [##########################################] 100%
 fuse2-2.9.9-4-armv7h                           98.5 KiB  15.9 KiB/s 00:06 [##########################################] 100%
 libnsl-2.0.0-2-armv7h                          19.1 KiB  8.94 KiB/s 00:02 [##########################################] 100%
 fuse-common-3.10.5-1-armv7h                     2.6 KiB  1953   B/s 00:01 [##########################################] 100%
 Total (4/4)                                    10.3 MiB   448 KiB/s 00:23 [##########################################] 100%
(8/8) checking keys in keyring                                             [##########################################] 100%
(5/8) checking package integrity                                           [##########################################] 100%
(5/8) loading package files                                                [##########################################] 100%
(8/8) checking for file conflicts                                          [##########################################] 100%
(8/8) checking available disk space                                        [##########################################] 100%
(1/8) installing fuse-common                                               [##########################################] 100%
(2/8) installing fuse2                                                     [##########################################] 100%
(3/8) installing ciopfs                                                    [##########################################] 100%
(4/8) installing libnsl                                                    [##########################################] 100%
(5/8) installing python                                                    [##########################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for python
    python-setuptools
    python-pip
    sqlite [installed]
    mpdecimal: for decimal
    xz: for lzma [installed]
    tk: for tkinter
(6/8) installing cloud-guest-utils                                         [##########################################] 100%
(7/8) installing log2ram                                                   [##########################################] 100%
(8/8) installing usbmount                                                  [##########################################] 100%
(1/3) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/3) Reloading device manager configuration...
(3/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/log2ram.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/log2ram.service.
CHANGED: partition=3 start=1032192 old: size=3063808 end=4096000 new: size=498712543 end=499744735
resize2fs 1.46.5 (30-Dec-2021)
Filesystem at /dev/mmcblk0p3 is mounted on /; on-line resizing required
old_desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 30
The filesystem on /dev/mmcblk0p3 is now 62339067 (4k) blocks long.

loading packages...
:: linux-mister and linux-armv7 are in conflict (linux). Remove linux-armv7? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: linux-mister and linux-armv7 are in conflict
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 alarm is up to date
 aur is up to date
 monsieur is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...

Packages (43) binutils-2.38-3  curl-7.81.0-3  dbus-1.14.0-1  device-mapper-2.03.15-1  e2fsprogs-1.46.5-3  elfutils-0.186-5
              expat-2.4.6-1  gcc-libs-11.2.0-3  gettext-0.21-2  glib2-2.70.4-2  glibc-2.35-2  gpgme-1.17.0-2
              hwdata-0.356-1  iana-etc-20220205-1  libarchive-3.6.0-1  libcap-2.63-2  libcap-ng-0.8.2-7  libelf-0.186-5
              libnghttp2-1.47.0-1  libpcap-1.10.1-2  libsecret-0.20.5-1  libsysprof-capture-3.42.1-3  libxcrypt-4.4.28-2
              libxml2-2.9.13-1  linux-api-headers-5.16.8-1  linux-armv7-5.16.12-1  linux-firmware-20220209.6342082-1
              linux-firmware-whence-20220209.6342082-1  mkinitcpio-busybox-1.35.0-1  mpfr-4.1.0.p13-2  nano-6.2-1
              ncurses-6.3-2  nettle-3.7.3-1.1  openssh-8.9p1-1  pacman-6.0.1-3.1  pacman-mirrorlist-20220222-1
              sqlite-3.38.0-1  systemd-250.3-4  systemd-libs-250.3-4  systemd-sysvcompat-250.3-4  tpm2-tss-3.2.0-1
              util-linux-2.37.4-1  util-linux-libs-2.37.4-1

Total Download Size:   180.86 MiB
Total Installed Size:  822.12 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        2.09 MiB

linux-firmware-20220209.6342082-1-any          67.6 MiB   877 KiB/s 01:19 [##########################################] 100%
 linux-armv7-5.16.12-1-armv7h                   48.5 MiB   708 KiB/s 01:10 [##########################################] 100%
 gcc-libs-11.2.0-3-armv7h                       23.8 MiB   864 KiB/s 00:28 [##########################################] 100%
 glibc-2.35-2-armv7h                             8.5 MiB   483 KiB/s 00:18 [##########################################] 100%
 systemd-250.3-4-armv7h                          5.8 MiB   383 KiB/s 00:16 [##########################################] 100%
 pacman-mirrorlist-20220222-1-any                2.5 KiB  4.44 KiB/s 00:01 [##########################################] 100%
 Total (43/43)                                 180.9 MiB   574 KiB/s 05:22 [##########################################] 100%
(43/43) checking keys in keyring                                           [##########################################] 100%
(43/43) checking package integrity                                         [##########################################] 100%
(43/43) loading package files                                              [##########################################] 100%
(43/43) checking for file conflicts                                        [##########################################] 100%
(43/43) checking available disk space                                      [##########################################] 100%
warning: could not get file information for boot/dtbs/
warning: could not get file information for boot/dtbs/am335x-baltos-ir2110.dtb
warning: could not get file information for boot/dtbs/zynq-zturn.dtb
warning: could not get file information for boot/dtbs/zynq-zybo-z7.dtb
warning: could not get file information for boot/dtbs/zynq-zybo.dtb
warning: could not get file information for boot/zImage
( 1/43) upgrading linux-api-headers                                        [##########################################] 100%
( 2/43) upgrading iana-etc                                                 [##########################################] 100%
( 3/43) upgrading glibc                                                    [##########################################] 100%
Generating locales...
Generation complete.
( 4/43) upgrading gcc-libs                                                 [##########################################] 100%
( 5/43) upgrading libnghttp2                                               [##########################################] 100%
(43/43) upgrading systemd-sysvcompat                                       [##########################################] 100%
( 1/13) Creating system user accounts...
( 2/13) Updating journal message catalog...
( 3/13) Reloading system manager configuration...
( 4/13) Updating udev hardware database...
( 5/13) Applying kernel sysctl settings...
Couldn't write '|/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %P %u %g %s %t %c %h' to 'kernel/core_pattern', ignoring: No such file or directory
Couldn't write '16' to 'kernel/core_pipe_limit', ignoring: No such file or directory
Couldn't write '1' to 'kernel/core_uses_pid', ignoring: No such file or directory
( 6/13) Creating temporary files...
( 7/13) Reloading device manager configuration...
( 8/13) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
( 9/13) Updating module dependencies...
(10/13) Updating linux-armv7 module dependencies...
(11/13) Updating linux-armv7 initcpios...
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-armv7.preset: 'default'
  -> -k 5.16.12-1-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: 5.16.12-1-ARCH
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Image generation successful
(12/13) Updating linux initcpios...
(13/13) Reloading system bus configuration...
 core                                          247.3 KiB  30.3 KiB/s 00:08 [##########################################] 100%
 extra is up to date
 community                                       5.7 MiB   301 KiB/s 00:20 [##########################################] 100%
 alarm is up to date
 aur is up to date
 monsieur is up to date
warning: bash-5.1.016-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: smbclient will be installed before its cifs-utils dependency
warning: harfbuzz will be installed before its freetype2 dependency

Packages (85) alsa-lib-1.2.6.1-1  alsa-topology-conf-1.2.5.1-1  alsa-ucm-conf-1.2.6.3-1  aom-3.3.0-1
              avahi-0.8+22+gfd482a7-3  bluez-libs-5.63-2  cairo-1.17.4-5  fontconfig-2:2.13.96-1  fribidi-1.0.11-1
              gdk-pixbuf2-2.42.6-2  giflib-5.2.1-2  gpm-1.20.7.r38.ge82d1a6-4  graphite-1:1.3.14-1  harfbuzz-4.0.0-1
              jansson-2.14-1  ldb-2:2.4.2-1  libbsd-0.11.5-1  libcups-1:2.4.1-1  libdaemon-0.14-5  libdatrie-0.2.13-1
              libde265-1.0.8-2  libheif-1.12.0-2  libical-3.0.14-1  libid3tag-0.15.1b-11  libjpeg-turbo-2.1.3-1
              libmd-1.0.4-1  libmm-glib-1.18.6-1.1  libndp-1.8-1  libnewt-0.52.21-8  libnm-1.36.0-1  libpgm-5.3.128-1.1
              libpng-1.6.37-3.1  librsvg-2:2.52.6-1  libsodium-1.0.18-2  libteam-1.31-5  libthai-0.1.29-1  libtiff-4.3.0-1
              libusb-1.0.25-2  libwebp-1.2.2-1.1  libx11-1.7.3.1-1  libxau-1.0.9-3  libxcb-1.14-1  libxdmcp-1.1.3-3
              libxext-1.3.4-3  libxft-2.3.4-1  libxrender-0.9.10-4  lmdb-0.9.29-1  lzo-2.10-3
              mobile-broadband-provider-info-20210805-1  nspr-4.33-1  nss-3.75-1  pango-1:1.50.4-1  perl-error-0.17029-3
              perl-mailtools-2.21-5  perl-timedate-2.33-3  pixman-0.40.0-1  python-dnspython-1:2.2.0-1
              python-importlib-metadata-4.8.1-3  python-markdown-3.3.6-3  python-zipp-3.7.0-1
              shared-mime-info-2.0+115+gd74a913-1  slang-2.3.2-2  smbclient-4.15.5-1  talloc-2.3.3-3  tdb-1.4.6-1
              tevent-1:0.11.0-3  wpa_supplicant-2:2.10-3  x265-3.5-1.1  xcb-proto-1.14.1-5  xorgproto-2021.5-1
              zeromq-4.3.4-2  bash-5.1.016-1  bluez-5.63-2  bluez-utils-5.63-2  cifs-utils-6.14-1  exfat-utils-1.3.0-2
              freetype2-2.11.1-1  git-2.35.1-1  go-ipfs-0.11.0-1  imlib2-1.8.0-1  networkmanager-1.36.0-1
              ntfs-3g-2021.8.22-1  sudo-1.9.9-2  unzip-6.0-18  wget-1.21.2-1

Total Download Size:    54.35 MiB
Total Installed Size:  268.62 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      260.75 MiB

go-ipfs-0.11.0-1-armv7h                        10.9 MiB   430 KiB/s 00:26 [##########################################] 100%
 smbclient-4.15.5-1-armv7h                       5.6 MiB   253 KiB/s 00:23 [##########################################] 100%
 git-2.35.1-1-armv7h                             5.2 MiB   904 KiB/s 00:06 [##########################################] 100%
 python-zipp-3.7.0-1-any                        10.2 KiB  3.93 KiB/s 00:03 [##########################################] 100%
 libxau-1.0.9-3-armv7h                          10.0 KiB  4.59 KiB/s 00:02 [##########################################] 100%
 Total (85/85)                                  54.4 MiB   199 KiB/s 04:40 [##########################################] 100%
(85/85) checking keys in keyring                                           [##########################################] 100%
(85/85) checking package integrity                                         [##########################################] 100%
(85/85) loading package files                                              [##########################################] 100%
(85/85) checking for file conflicts                                        [##########################################] 100%
(85/85) checking available disk space                                      [##########################################] 100%
( 1/85) installing exfat-utils                                             [##########################################] 100%
( 2/85) reinstalling bash                                                  [##########################################] 100%
( 3/85) installing perl-error                                              [##########################################] 100%
(84/85) installing librsvg                                                 [##########################################] 100%
(85/85) installing imlib2                                                  [##########################################] 100%
( 1/11) Creating system user accounts...
Creating group 'avahi' with GID 973.
Creating user 'avahi' (Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon) with UID 973 and GID 973.
Creating group 'git' with GID 972.
Creating user 'git' (git daemon user) with UID 972 and GID 972.
( 2/11) Reloading system manager configuration...
( 3/11) Creating temporary files...
( 4/11) Reloading device manager configuration...
( 5/11) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
( 6/11) Updating the MIME type database...
( 7/11) Updating fontconfig configuration...
( 8/11) Reloading system bus configuration...
( 9/11) Warn about old perl modules
(10/11) Updating fontconfig cache...
(11/11) Probing GDK-Pixbuf loader modules...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 alarm is up to date
 aur is up to date
 monsieur is up to date

Packages (4) MiSTer-Devel-Bin-20220224-1  MiSTer-Devel-Menu-88.gc125fdbe-1  MiSTer-Devel-Support-88.gc125fdbe-1
             MiSTer-Linux-Addons-20220227-1

Total Download Size:    91.42 MiB
Total Installed Size:  144.99 MiB

MiSTer-Devel-Support-88.gc125fdbe-1-any        88.9 MiB  1669 KiB/s 00:55 [##########################################] 100%
 MiSTer-Devel-Menu-88.gc125fdbe-1-any         1279.7 KiB   511 KiB/s 00:03 [##########################################] 100%
 MiSTer-Linux-Addons-20220227-1-any            759.5 KiB   381 KiB/s 00:02 [##########################################] 100%
 MiSTer-Devel-Bin-20220224-1-any               556.7 KiB   228 KiB/s 00:02 [##########################################] 100%
 Total (4/4)                                    91.4 MiB  1430 KiB/s 01:05 [##########################################] 100%
(4/4) checking keys in keyring                                             [##########################################] 100%
(4/4) checking package integrity                                           [##########################################] 100%
(4/4) loading package files                                                [##########################################] 100%
(4/4) checking for file conflicts                                          [##########################################] 100%
(4/4) checking available disk space                                        [##########################################] 100%
(1/4) installing MiSTer-Devel-Bin                                          [##########################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for MiSTer-Devel-Bin
    MiSTer-Linux-Addons [pending]
    MiSTer-Devel-Menu [pending]
    MiSTer-Devel-Support [pending]
(2/4) installing MiSTer-Devel-Support                                      [##########################################] 100%
(3/4) installing MiSTer-Devel-Menu                                         [##########################################] 100%
(4/4) installing MiSTer-Linux-Addons                                       [##########################################] 100%
(1/2) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/MiSTer.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/MiSTer.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-dispatcher.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/network-online.target.wants/NetworkManager-wait-online.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager-wait-online.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.bluez.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/bluetooth.target.wants/bluetooth.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service.
Finished! Restarting in 2 seconds, have fun!

The system will reboot and display the normal MiSTer screen.

SSH into the MiSTer again as user alarm and su to root. Note that there are two "-" symbols before overwrite.

[root@alarm alarm]# [b]pacman -Sy xorg-server xf86-video-fbdev lxqt sddm xorg-xinit lxde-common lxsession pcmanfm lxpanel openbox gpicview[/b]
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 alarm is up to date
 aur is up to date
 monsieur is up to date
:: There are 22 members in group lxqt:
:: Repository community
   1) lximage-qt  2) lxqt-about  3) lxqt-admin  4) lxqt-archiver  5) lxqt-config  6) lxqt-globalkeys  7) lxqt-notificationd
   8) lxqt-openssh-askpass  9) lxqt-panel  10) lxqt-policykit  11) lxqt-powermanagement  12) lxqt-qtplugin  13) lxqt-runner
   14) lxqt-session  15) lxqt-sudo  16) lxqt-themes  17) obconf-qt  18) openbox  19) pavucontrol-qt  20) pcmanfm-qt
   21) qterminal  22) screengrab

Enter a selection (default=all): [b]press <CR>[/b]
:: There are 5 providers available for libgl:
:: Repository extra
   1) libglvnd
:: Repository alarm
   2) imx-gpu-viv-dfb  3) imx-gpu-viv-fb  4) imx-gpu-viv-wl  5) imx-gpu-viv-x11

Enter a number (default=1): [b]press <CR>[/b]
:: There are 9 providers available for ttf-font:
:: Repository extra
   1) gnu-free-fonts  2) noto-fonts  3) ttf-bitstream-vera  4) ttf-croscore  5) ttf-dejavu  6) ttf-freefont
:: Repository community
   7) ttf-droid  8) ttf-ibm-plex  9) ttf-liberation

Enter a number (default=1): [b]press <CR>[/b]
warning: mesa will be installed before its libglvnd dependency
warning: usbmuxd will be installed before its libimobiledevice dependency

Packages (186) adobe-source-code-pro-fonts-2.038ro+1.058it+1.018var-1  adwaita-icon-theme-41.0-1  at-spi2-atk-2.38.0-1
               at-spi2-core-2.42.0-1  atk-2.36.0-1  btrfs-progs-5.16.2-1  cantarell-fonts-1:0.303.1-1  dconf-0.40.0-1
               desktop-file-utils-0.26-2  dmraid-1.0.0.rc16.3-13  dosfstools-4.2-2  double-conversion-3.2.0-1  flac-1.3.4-2
               glib-networking-1:2.70.1-1  gnu-free-fonts-20120503-8  gptfdisk-1.0.8-1  gsettings-desktop-schemas-41.0-1
               gtk-update-icon-cache-1:4.6.1-2  gtk2-2.24.33-2  gtk3-1:3.24.31-3  hicolor-icon-theme-0.17-2
               iniparser-4.1-4  iso-codes-4.9.0-1  js78-78.15.0-3  json-glib-1.6.6-1  kidletime-5.91.0-1  kwayland-5.91.0-1
               kwindowsystem-5.91.0-1  lcms2-2.13.1-1  libaio-0.3.112-2  libasyncns-0.8+3+g68cd5af-3  libatasmart-0.19-5
               libblockdev-2.26-3  libbytesize-2.6-3  libcloudproviders-0.3.1-2  libcolord-1.4.6-1
               libdbusmenu-qt5-0.9.3+16.04.20160218-6  libdrm-2.4.110-1  libepoxy-1.5.9-1  libevdev-1.12.0-1
               libexif-0.6.24-1  libfm-1.3.2-1  libfm-extra-1.3.2-1  libfm-gtk2-1.3.2-1  libfm-qt-1.0.0-1
               libfontenc-1.1.4-3  libglvnd-1.4.0-1  libgudev-237-1  libice-1.0.10-3  libimobiledevice-1.3.0-5
               libinih-53-1  libinput-1.20.0-1  libkeybinder2-0.3.1-4  libkscreen-5.24.2-1  liblxqt-1.0.0-1  libogg-1.3.5-1
               libomxil-bellagio-0.9.3-3  libpciaccess-0.16-2  libplist-2.2.0-5  libproxy-0.4.17-6  libpulse-15.0-4
               libqtxdg-3.8.0-1  libsm-1.2.3-2  libsndfile-1.0.31-1  libsoup-2.74.2-2  libsoup3-3.0.4-2  libsoxr-0.1.3-2
               libstemmer-2.2.0-1  libtool-2.4.6+59+gb55b1cc8-2  libunwind-1.6.2-1  liburcu-0.13.1-1  libusbmuxd-2.0.2-1
               libvorbis-1.3.7-2  libwacom-2.1.0-1  libwnck-2.31.0-3  libxcomposite-0.4.5-3  libxcursor-1.2.0-2
               libxcvt-0.1.1-1  libxdamage-1.1.5-3  libxfixes-6.0.0-1  libxfont2-2.0.5-1  libxi-1.8-1  libxinerama-1.1.4-3
               libxkbcommon-1.4.0-1  libxkbcommon-x11-1.4.0-1  libxkbfile-1.1.0-2  libxmu-1.1.3-2  libxrandr-1.5.2-3
               libxres-1.2.1-1  libxshmfence-1.3-2  libxss-1.2.3-3  libxt-1.2.1-1  libxtst-1.2.3-4  libxxf86vm-1.1.4-4
               libyaml-0.2.5-1  llvm-libs-13.0.1-1  lm_sensors-1:3.6.0.r41.g31d1f125-1  lvm2-2.03.15-1  lxmenu-data-0.1.5-3
               md4c-0.4.8-1  mdadm-4.2-1  media-player-info-24-2  menu-cache-1.1.0-2  mesa-21.3.7-1  mtdev-1.1.6-1
               muparser-2.3.3-1  ndctl-72.1-1  opus-1.3.1-3.1  orc-0.4.32-1  parted-3.4-2  polkit-0.120-4
               polkit-qt5-0.114.0-1  pulseaudio-15.0-4  qt5-base-5.15.2+kde+r305-1  qt5-declarative-5.15.2+kde+r46-1
               qt5-svg-5.15.2+kde+r16-2  qt5-translations-5.15.2+kde+r22-1  qt5-wayland-5.15.2+kde+r54-1
               qt5-x11extras-5.15.2-2  qtermwidget-1.0.0-1  rest-0.8.1+r4+ge5ee6ef-1  rtkit-0.13-1  solid-5.91.0-1
               speex-1.2.0-3  speexdsp-1.2.0-2.1  startup-notification-0.12-7  thin-provisioning-tools-0.9.0-1
               tracker3-3.2.1-2  tslib-1.22-1  udisks2-2.9.4-1  upower-0.99.16-2  usbmuxd-1.1.1-1  volume_key-0.3.12-7
               vulkan-icd-loader-1.2.203-1  wayland-1.20.0-1  webrtc-audio-processing-0.3.1-3.1  xcb-util-0.4.0-3
               xcb-util-image-0.4.0-3  xcb-util-keysyms-0.4.0-3  xcb-util-renderutil-0.3.9-3  xcb-util-wm-0.4.1-3
               xdg-user-dirs-0.17-3  xdg-utils-1.1.3+19+g9816ebb-1  xf86-input-libinput-1.2.1-1  xfsprogs-5.14.2-1
               xkeyboard-config-2.35.1-1  xorg-fonts-encodings-1.0.5-2  xorg-server-common-21.1.3-6  xorg-setxkbmap-1.3.2-2
               xorg-xauth-1.1.1-1  xorg-xkbcomp-1.4.5-1  xorg-xmodmap-1.0.10-2  xorg-xprop-1.2.5-1  xorg-xrdb-1.2.1-1
               xorg-xset-1.2.4-2  gpicview-0.2.5-6  lxde-common-0.99.2-3  lximage-qt-1.0.0-1  lxpanel-0.10.1-1
               lxqt-about-1.0.0-1  lxqt-admin-1.0.0-1  lxqt-archiver-0.5.0-1  lxqt-config-1.0.0-1  lxqt-globalkeys-1.0.1-1
               lxqt-notificationd-1.0.0-1  lxqt-openssh-askpass-1.0.0-1  lxqt-panel-1.0.0-1  lxqt-policykit-1.0.0-1
               lxqt-powermanagement-1.0.0-1  lxqt-qtplugin-1.0.0-1  lxqt-runner-1.0.0-1  lxqt-session-1.0.1-1
               lxqt-sudo-1.0.0-1  lxqt-themes-1.0.0-1  lxsession-1:0.5.5-1  obconf-qt-0.16.1-1  openbox-3.6.1-8
               pavucontrol-qt-1.0.0-2  pcmanfm-1.3.2-1  pcmanfm-qt-1.0.0-1  qterminal-1.0.0-1  screengrab-2.3.0-1
               sddm-0.19.0-8  xf86-video-fbdev-0.5.0-3  xorg-server-21.1.3-6  xorg-xinit-1.4.1-3

Total Download Size:   139.86 MiB
Total Installed Size:  624.34 MiB

llvm-libs-13.0.1-1-armv7h                      20.8 MiB   662 KiB/s 00:32 [##########################################] 100%
 js78-78.15.0-3-armv7h                          13.8 MiB  1747 KiB/s 00:08 [##########################################] 100%
 libaio-0.3.112-2-armv7h                         6.0 KiB  10.6 KiB/s 00:01 [##########################################] 100%
 libxshmfence-1.3-2-armv7h                       5.4 KiB  9.20 KiB/s 00:01 [##########################################] 100%
 Total (186/186)                               139.9 MiB   678 KiB/s 03:31 [##########################################] 100%
(186/186) checking keys in keyring                                         [##########################################] 100%
(186/186) checking package integrity                                       [##########################################] 100%
(186/186) loading package files                                            [##########################################] 100%
(186/186) checking for file conflicts                                      [##########################################] 100%
(186/186) checking available disk space                                    [##########################################] 100%
(  1/186) installing libepoxy                                              [##########################################] 100%
(  2/186) installing xorg-fonts-encodings                                  [##########################################] 100%
(  3/186) installing libfontenc                                            [##########################################] 100%
(185/186) installing gtk3                                                  [##########################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for gtk3
    evince: Default print preview command
(186/186) installing gpicview                                              [##########################################] 100%
( 1/18) Creating system user accounts...
Creating group 'polkitd' with GID 102.
Creating user 'polkitd' (PolicyKit daemon) with UID 102 and GID 102.
Creating group 'rtkit' with GID 133.
Creating user 'rtkit' (RealtimeKit) with UID 133 and GID 133.
Creating group 'sddm' with GID 971.
Creating user 'sddm' (Simple Desktop Display Manager) with UID 971 and GID 971.
Creating group 'usbmux' with GID 140.
Creating user 'usbmux' (usbmux user) with UID 140 and GID 140.
( 2/18) Reloading system manager configuration...
( 3/18) Updating udev hardware database...
( 4/18) Creating temporary files...
( 5/18) Reloading device manager configuration...
( 6/18) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
( 7/18) Updating the MIME type database...
( 8/18) Updating linux-armv7 initcpios...
( 9/18) Updating linux initcpios...
(10/18) Reloading system bus configuration...
(11/18) Warn about old perl modules
(12/18) Updating fontconfig cache...
(13/18) Updating GIO module cache...
(14/18) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
(15/18) Probing GTK2 input method modules...
(16/18) Probing GTK3 input method modules...
(17/18) Updating icon theme caches...
(18/18) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
Edit the xinitrc file.

vi /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Comment out the following at the bottom of the file:-

#twm &
#xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
#xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
#xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
#exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

Add the following line to the bottom of the file:-

startlxde

Write and exit the file and test by running the following command:-

startx

You should see the following
Scan 4 Mar 2022 at 13.12.jpg
Scan 4 Mar 2022 at 13.12.jpg (792.08 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
Press <ctrl>c to exit.

This should give you the start of a working X11 environment. Note to run it properly you need to login to the MiSTer console screen and run startx . I will leave you to enjoy the joys of LXDE configuration. Note the system is under powered so web browsing is not recommended.

In summary the packages to install via pacman are:-

xorg-server xf86-video-fbdev lxqt sddm xorg-xinit lxde-common lxsession pcmanfm lxpanel openbox gpicview

Thank you to all those who made this possible, especially amstad who did the original kernel.
amstan

Unread post by amstan »

That's quite a mouthful post, but congrats.
georgemog wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:41 pm [root@alarm alarm]# pacman -Sy xorg-server xf86-video-fbdev lxqt sddm xorg-xinit lxde-common lxsession pcmanfm lxpanel openbox gpicview --overwrite "*"
Why are you using overwrite? That's quite a big hammer and could lead you breaking your install.
georgemog

Unread post by georgemog »

Hi amstar, thank you for your initial work on this project. The question of overwrite was based on the instructions from the MOnSieur Github page and I had misread it and applied it to all use of the pacman command.

"When installing MOnSieurFPGA packages for the first time, use pacman -Sy PackageName --overwrite “*”. This will set up the correct paths in /media/fat for initial packages."

Fair comment about the length I will go back and trim it down. I wanted to give people a view of what was involved from start to finish.
atrac17
Core Developer

Unread post by atrac17 »

georgemog wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:54 am Hi amstar, thank you for your initial work on this project. The question of overwrite was based on the instructions from the MOnSieur Github page and I had misread it and applied it to all use of the pacman command.

"When installing MOnSieurFPGA packages for the first time, use pacman -Sy PackageName --overwrite “*”. This will set up the correct paths in /media/fat for initial packages."

Fair comment about the length I will go back and trim it down. I wanted to give people a view of what was involved from start to finish.
Congrats! You might want to look at packages. They've changed a little bit in last few hours. Will have to run the following for NeoGeoMVS and PSX if you've installed them.

--overwrite "*"
Also, if you want to free up the cpu for desktop usage stop the MiSTer service and when you're done start it up again.

sudo systemctl stop MiSTer

sudo systemctl restart MiSTer
amstan

Unread post by amstan »

Some news:

Packages have been freshened up (the goal here is to stay on top of this):
  • mister-bin-20220413-1
  • mister-menu-20220413-1
The kernel has also been updated to mister's new changes (linux-mister-5.15-6). Xone driver has been enabled. Stuff like xow can be found on the AUR.

I've also been experimenting with fresher kernels: https://github.com/MiSTerArch/linux/branches/all
Looks like it's fairly straightforward to rebase all patches on a proper linux git tree and change the underlying version. So far I have a testing linux-misterarch-5.15.25 package, which having had more stable kernel merges, is supposed to resolve some usb issues applicable to the DE10 cpu, not to mention security fixes. I'm also open to rebasing to other kernels if there's interest. At the same time I would like to prune as many mister specific hacks as I can on this experimental kernel so it's easier to maintain (the replacing of the exfat driver, various driver hacks that are probably redundant to a collection of udev rules, etc).

As always, all of those packages are just a

sudo pacman -Syu
away. There should be no errors updating a MiSTerArch install at any point.

I've also made a new logo:
Attachments
misterarch_logo.png
misterarch_logo.png (171.06 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
amstan

Unread post by amstan »

I've gotten far too many requests for a prebuilt SD card, despite my insistance that this is something that's personal.

So here we are, MiSTerArch.img, dd/installation instructions.

This has been implemented using my ansible scripts. I guess I'll regenerate this image from time to time, but it doesn't have to be too frequent. After it's installed to an SD card the os is easy to self update (like it's been before).

"Preferences" the prebuilt image comes with
Besides the MiSTer stuff, here are some differences from vanilla Arch Linux ARM:
  • python 3.10
  • base-devel aka compiler(gcc)
  • networkmanager, use nmtui to configure it
  • btrfs, root/ as a subvolume allows easy snapshotting in the future
  • pikaur AUR helper
Security bonus: I have no left any private keys in there, such as the ssh host keys or the pacman signing keys in there. If you find anything like that it is a bug, let me know. At some point in the future I might make package signing mandatory using my gpg key.