Possible BBC Micro core graphics issue

GreyAreaUK

Possible BBC Micro core graphics issue

Unread post by GreyAreaUK »

Last night I was playing 'Starship Command' on the BBC Micro core and I noticed something - the rightmost column of pixels wasn't being displayed.

Today I quickly tried something in both BeebEm on a Windows box, and the BBC Micro core on MiSTer:

MODE 1
MOVE 1279,1023
DRAW 1279,0

Also tried the same with MODE 2

On BeebEm this correctly draws a vertical line down the extreme right of the screen. On the MiSTer core it's missing.

I've turned off all graphics effects/filters, and set the screen size to 'Original' (which on my 4:3 screen makes it horizontally pinched, making the extreme right easier to see).

Could someone else try the above code and see if they see the same thing?

BBC Micro core shows as 21.03.02 in the menu. Video output from the DE10 directly over HDMI, in case that's a factor.

Many thanks.

Edit: just tried this on the Electron core, and it correctly draws the line.

Could some one please try it on their BBC Micro MiSTer setup, see if it's something to do with my setup? (Not sure what but hey :) )
Orbiting inside the Roche Limit of sanity.
lamarax
Top Contributor

Re: Possible BBC Micro core graphics issue

Unread post by lamarax »

Hello fellow Beeb aficionado! :mrgreen:

You may want to try this unofficial build, until things get sorted out and it finds its way into the main repository:
BBCMicro_20220123.rbf
(3.61 MiB) Downloaded 166 times
Mind you, this build implements the capability of loading individual disk image files (instead of .MMB), but I'm not sure which DFS standard @alanswx has followed.
GreyAreaUK

lamarax wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:11 pm Hello fellow Beeb aficionado! :mrgreen:

You may want to try this unofficial build, until things get sorted out and it finds its way into the main repository:

BBCMicro_20220123.rbf

Mind you, this build implements the capability of loading individual disk image files (instead of .MMB), but I'm not sure which DFS standard @alanswx has followed.
Many thanks, but sadly it seems to have the same issue (or my setup does).
lamarax
Top Contributor

Unread post by lamarax »

Yeah, I wouldn't try to run proper BASIC commands on it ;) Make sure you boot the core in mode 7 though (OSD setting)
GreyAreaUK

lamarax wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:23 pm Yeah, I wouldn't try to run proper BASIC commands on it ;) Make sure you boot the core in mode 7 though (OSD setting)
I have it booting into Mode 7 (more authentic :) ), then I change MODE to run the commands. It could well be something hinky at my end, which is why I'd like someone else to try it.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

I've tried it and also can't see that line. I'm on a CRT TV and have shifted the image to the left as much as possible using RGB centring.

Mode 7 seems to push things too high up (causes half of the top text line to disappear).
GreyAreaUK

akeley wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:33 pm I've tried it and also can't see that line. I'm on a CRT TV and have shifted the image to the left as much as possible using RGB centring.

Mode 7 seems to push things too high up (causes half of the top text line to disappear).
Thanks for that. I don't think I'm personally seeing the MODE 7 issue, but I'm on an LCD over HDMI, not a CRT.
GreyAreaUK

Just a quick update to this: looks like someone over on the stardot forums also saw this issue, and has come up with an experimental fix for it (although their build doesn't support individual SSD images (EDIT: As pointed out below this is incorrect - it does indeed support them)):

https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 3&start=60
Welsh1971

Unread post by Welsh1971 »

The lushprojects core that you mention GreyAreaUK does indeed support SSD images for both the BBC B and BBC Master. I've been using it almost daily since his latest release (link in the forum post you mention). It also has support for MMFSv1 and MMFSv2 and sideways RAM.

I'm just a user, not a developer and I know lushprojects has built on the great work that has been done by the existing devs of the official BBC core.

Seems a bit of a shame to have so many unnoficial BBC cores out there at the moment with the official one still not supporting SSD (I am aware of the recent build that has been worked on by alanswx which has support for SSD images but just on the Master, but he mentioned there are still timing issues with that one). Need to get these guys together and try and get the official core updated with these features not in the official build at the moment.

Can thoroughly recommend the lushprojects core however.

Welsh
GreyAreaUK

Welsh1971 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:37 pm The lushprojects core that you mention GreyAreaUK does indeed support SSD images for both the BBC B and BBC Master. I've been using it almost daily since his latest release (link in the forum post you mention). It also has support for MMFSv1 and MMFSv2 and sideways RAM.

I'm just a user, not a developer and I know lushprojects has built on the great work that has been done by the existing devs of the official BBC core.

Seems a bit of a shame to have so many unnoficial BBC cores out there at the moment with the official one still not supporting SSD (I am aware of the recent build that has been worked on by alanswx which has support for SSD images but just on the Master, but he mentioned there are still timing issues with that one). Need to get these guys together and try and get the official core updated with these features not in the official build at the moment.

Can thoroughly recommend the lushprojects core however.

Welsh
Thank you, and my apologies for my inadvertent misinformation!
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Welsh1971 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:37 pm Seems a bit of a shame to have so many unnoficial BBC cores out there at the moment with the official one still not supporting SSD (I am aware of the recent build that has been worked on by alanswx which has support for SSD images but just on the Master, but he mentioned there are still timing issues with that one). Need to get these guys together and try and get the official core updated with these features not in the official build at the moment.
Some time ago I made an account on stardot meaning to try to ask people there to help with our core, but got distracted by other stuff and forgot to do that. If you're a regular there perhaps you could ask @lushprojects to get in touch with @alanswx somehow, or perhaps join this forum too.
GreyAreaUK

akeley wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:26 pm
Welsh1971 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:37 pm Seems a bit of a shame to have so many unnoficial BBC cores out there at the moment with the official one still not supporting SSD (I am aware of the recent build that has been worked on by alanswx which has support for SSD images but just on the Master, but he mentioned there are still timing issues with that one). Need to get these guys together and try and get the official core updated with these features not in the official build at the moment.
Some time ago I made an account on stardot meaning to try to ask people there to help with our core, but got distracted by other stuff and forgot to do that. If you're a regular there perhaps you could ask @lushprojects to get in touch with @alanswx somehow, or perhaps join this forum too.
I've just added a link back to this thread there as a more general "Yo!", if that's any help.
Welsh1971

Unread post by Welsh1971 »

Thanks GreyAreaUK.

Welsh