Latest Version of ao486 Core Midi Input Issue

atticusedwards

Latest Version of ao486 Core Midi Input Issue

Unread post by atticusedwards »

Hello, with the latest version of ao486 core the midi output is working perfectly through the I / O port ;) , but unfortunately not the midi input

Best regards!
Sw1tch73ch

Re: Latest Version of ao486 Core Midi Input Issue

Unread post by Sw1tch73ch »

Did you get this resolved? Your post is from March so I hope so.

I just installed DOS 6.6 on a hvd for the ao486 core. I use a Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB to MIDI adapter (USB on MiSTer end, In/out MIDI plugs at the piano). I can play MIDI out through the USB just fine, but MIDI in is not being picked up. I can see the activity on the UM-ONE from the piano so I know the piano is sending at least as far as the UM-ONE. Not seeing anything in Cakewalk 5.0 (MS-DOS). Cakewalk is set to receive on all sixteen channels. Tried the UM-ONE in Tablet mode and in PC mode.

And of course the MT32-Pi is receive only, works like a champ on the User Port. But I want to play INTO the Ao486 core.

Am I missing a setting that opens the Input for MIDI over USB?

And if I forgot any specifics needed to troubleshoot, let me know!

Thanks
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Sw1tch73ch wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:01 am And of course the MT32-Pi is receive only, works like a champ on the User Port. But I want to play INTO the Ao486 core.

Am I missing a setting that opens the Input for MIDI over USB?

And if I forgot any specifics needed to troubleshoot, let me know!
I don't believe MIDI input over USB won't work simultaneously with outputting to the User port as the MPU-401 is either connected to the UART or User port depending on the OSD settings (if that is what you are trying to do).

When using UART:MIDI:Local:USB Input is enabled by default and you can snoop on the raw MIDI data by starting midilink manually via SSH

Connect to MiSTer via SSH(putty) using the IP address from the OSD, User: root, passwd:1

Code: Select all

#uartmode 0
#midilink USBMIDI 
When pressing the piano keys you should see the raw data being sent to the UART...

Each key press should result in 3 bytes of data. The first byte (the status byte) will tell you which channel the data is being sent on.

Hope that helps...
Sw1tch73ch

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I thought I'd turned off the user port (set it to com2) so the MIDI would have go to USB.

Back... yeah, I left the reply window open to try. I do see the MIDI data getting the the Nano.

[00406286] MIDI IN [03] --> 9b 3c 6d
[00406991] MIDI IN [03] --> 8b 3c 56

The first [00406286] looks like a time stamp "MIDI IN" is the direction of the activity, [03] ? A port? 9b is note on, 8b is note off (MIDI Channel 12 on the 1-16 count, channel 11 for 0-15), 3c is the note I pressed (Middle C) and 6d ought to be the intensity or velocity of the Note On. The 56 on Note Off must be how fast I let go of the key.

The AO486 core is set: UART MODE is MIDI, MidiLink is USB and the "USER I/O" is COM2 so the MT32-PI should be out of the picture. Cakewalk for DOS still doesn't see an incoming MIDI stream, even though midilink in SSH is showing the notes played.

Cakewalk 5.0 that I'm using does not require an authentic MPU-401 or close clone. The DUMB MIDI interfaces. Maybe I'll go spelunking in the Cakewalk INI file.
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

Sw1tch73ch wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:51 am[03] ? A port? .
[03] (bytes) --> 9b 3c 6d

If you press 2 keys simultaneously, you probably will see [06] followed by 6 bytes.
Sw1tch73ch wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:51 am Cakewalk 5.0 that I'm using does not require an authentic MPU-401 or close clone.
If it does turn out to need a real (intelligent mode) MPU-401 then maybe try SoftMPU (/MPU:330). SoftMPU works pretty well unless you are running something that uses a 32bit DOS extender.
Sw1tch73ch

AH HA!! 3 bytes, and every time I pressed a key, of course it was 3 bytes! .... Should I be saying Duh! lol

Thanks. It was so obvious I looked right over it.

I did try SoftMPU, with and without. I actually started by using SoftMPU, it's in the AO486 MIDI section. I'm still missing something. Using I also installed QEMM to support SoftMPU. However SoftMPU says it will work with EMM too, so I've done that both ways, too. Maybe I should start from scratch and try doing all the steps one by one until I have it correct. I'm missing something.
Inspector77

Unread post by Inspector77 »

"Midi in" solution for Cakewalk and Voyetra gold in msdos :

1- Start cakewalk with "UART MODE: MIDI" (Midi out works)
2- When Cakewalk Starts change "UART MODE TO: NONE" (Midi in works)

Best regards
ferropop

Unread post by ferropop »

Is this where things are still at? Was really hoping to use a MIDI Keyboard in Cakewalk / Impulse Tracker... the above has to be done every time?