Case Recommendation?

Showcase builds, discuss cases, embedding MiSTer into existing computer cases.
daskrabs

Case Recommendation?

Unread post by daskrabs »

I'm looking for a metal case for the basic 3-board stack: IO/DE10/USB. I have the old style USB hub with the barrel plug for power instead of USB port. I'm looking for something, but can't find anything that fits the old hub.

Looking to spend $50 or less. Any ideas?
therourke

Re: Case Recommendation?

Unread post by therourke »

Also on market for exactly this. It seems that everything is for the new style USB hub now.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

therourke wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:51 am Also on market for exactly this. It seems that everything is for the new USB hub now.
No 'old' or 'new' USB hub exits in this context, it is a choice of the individual board manufacturers on how they actually populate to supply power delivery to the USB hub board, they are all the same base version which is currently v2.1
therourke

Xbytez wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:11 amNo 'old' or 'new' USB hub exits in this context, it is a choice of the individual board manufacturers on how they actually populate to supply power delivery to the USB hub board, they are all the same base version which is currently v2.1
Fine, but the USB powered hub is being called '2.1' by various sellers, and seems vastly more popular now, especially where cases are concerned. It think calling it a 'newer style' hub makes perfect sense given that this format came later. I only bought my MiSTer a year ago or so, and it wasn't an option at that point.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

therourke wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:29 am calling it a 'newer style' hub makes perfect sense given that this format came later.
It was an option from July 11th 2019.

Either assembly method for power delivery could be used when Sorgelig produced and released the USB hub v2.1 designs to the MiSTer project GitHub, I know of these being produced from day one, so it's not a 'new' version, It is the Chinese sellers, who incorrectly claim it as a 'new' version, when this is just incorrect.

See here:

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 04#p377776
therourke

Xbytez wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:33 pmEither assembly method for power delivery could be used when Sorgelig produced and released the USB hub v2.1 designs to the MiSTer project GitHub, I know of these being produced from day one, so it's not a 'new' version, It is the Chinese sellers, who incorrectly claim it as a 'new' version, when this is just incorrect.
Great. But do you have any advice for buying cases made for the "not new" power cord hubs?
Xbytez
Site Admin

Unread post by Xbytez »

If you are looking for a metal case see MiSTer Addons website.

https://misteraddons.com/collections/pa ... ooled-case
therourke

Xbytez wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:39 pm If you are looking for a metal case see MiSTer Addons website.

https://misteraddons.com/collections/pa ... ooled-case
Yeah. Misteraddons have been out of stock for months