Top 5 Games for the PlayStation?

Wave

Re: Top 5 Games for the PlayStation?

Unread post by Wave »

thorr wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:36 am Also, I tried Jumping Flash 2 after upgrading to the latest unstable nightly, and I think I will really enjoy this game once I get the hang of it. It reminds me a lot of Super Mario 64. It can be quite frustrating when you fall to your death and have to start all over again, and I am not quite sure what all these power ups do, but I will figure it all out eventually. Thanks for the recommendation! For now, it gets 2 thumbs up from me.
Glad you're digging it!

I find JF!/JF!2 a lot easier than a more freewheeling platformer like Mario 64 because its physics are so rigid. Your air control is pixel-perfect, no worrying about inertia or the like. All that matters is that a jump is not too far to make. In case the game didn't make it clear, please note that it's built around double-jumping. Upon hitting jump a second time your view will change to look straight down, which makes accurate jumping (via Robbit's shadow) trivial. (After beating the game you can unlock a bonus mode with quintuple jumping!)

Enemies do drop a bunch of power-ups and most are just one of four(?) sub-weapons you can fire with Circle. You can carry three at a time. All the coins that spray out are just for points. You can also damage enemies by jumping on them; the longer the fall, the greater the inflicted damage.

I adore the music and atmosphere in this game. It's a big step up from the first JF!. Sadly, the composer passed away in 2006.
she/her
Kannibal

Unread post by Kannibal »

• Battle Hunter
• Warpath Jurassic Park
• Army Men 3D
• ATV Mania
• Street Fighter EX 1 Plus Alpha
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

I just want to say "Thank you!" to everyone again. I appreciate all the suggestions and additional very helpful information. Everyone has different tastes and that is why I asked for your Top 5 so I would see a nice variety from different viewpoints. I have no doubt I will have countless hours of enjoyment just from the suggestions in this thread, not to mention all the other cores and endless games that the MiSTer provides.

I did get a chance to try Quake II and Forsaken briefly, and I spent more time with Forsaken. It is basically a Descent clone. It's pretty fun. I am not sure yet about Quake II because I normally prefer a mouse and keyboard. For Forsaken, I need to hook up my Thrustmaster HOTAS flight stick and map the controls to the way I like them (I use the hat to strafe in four directions, the stick to change directions, two buttons for forward and backward, and two buttons for firing different weapons). Then I will be in Forsaken heaven.

I think the next thing I will try is some shoot em ups (and some more JF2 with the helpful info and tips from Wave). I think I will try Metal Gear Solid and FF7 again when I have more time during a weekend. Right now, the thing I am most excited about is the driving games, but I can't/won't enjoy them until my driving wheel is supported. I hope it is soon!
bbond007
Top Contributor

Unread post by bbond007 »

DuckSocker wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:00 am Parasite Eve -> Square's attempt at survival horror (but it's still an RPG)
My top #1 pick, right there :)
TLPD-AVW

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

thorr wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:54 pm I am not sure yet about Quake II because I normally prefer a mouse and keyboard.
I believe that Quake II supports a hybrid gamepad+mouse control scheme with PlayStation mouse plugged in one of controller slots. It would probably feel weird at first but that provides better camera movement than the traditional digital pad control scheme.
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

TLPD-AVW wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:15 am
thorr wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:54 pm I am not sure yet about Quake II because I normally prefer a mouse and keyboard.
I believe that Quake II supports a hybrid gamepad+mouse control scheme with PlayStation mouse plugged in one of controller slots. It would probably feel weird at first but that provides better camera movement than the traditional digital pad control scheme.
Awesome! Thanks! I tried it quickly this morning and it works great! I should be able to remap the keyboard to be the rest of the controls and use it with the mouse. This is totally great!

I wish there was a way to map different controls for each game and have it remember it within the game folder.
witinhalf

Unread post by witinhalf »

Tomba!
Castlevania SotN
Tobal No. 1
Einhander
Brave Fencer Musashi
relax

Unread post by relax »

no order here:
Sled Storm (still the best snowmobile game made imho, and has cool music tracks)
Alundra (awesome rpg)
Destruction Derby 2 (racing with some nice metal music tracks)
Medievil (Zombie Attack)
Tomb Raider - The Last Revelation (Mystery,Action)

others:
FFVIII (most love FFVII, and its great, i love FFVIII)
Ace Combat 2 (Military and Jets)
Hot Shots Golf (Well you know its fun golf)
Gran Turismo 2 (racing)
Cool Boarders 3 (snowboarding)
ESPN Extreme Games (extreme sports)
Jet Moto 2 (Jet Skiing Racing)
Medal Of Honor - Underground (COD before COD)
Frogger (a 3d take on the classic)
Triple Play Baseball (theres some fun cheat codes for this, look online)
Neocaron

Unread post by Neocaron »

FFVIII is the BOOOOMB :p
thorr
Top Contributor

Unread post by thorr »

Played some Quake II last night with the mouse and keyboard. It was great! I used the default difficulty and got through all the parts of the first mission. It was pretty easy. I will have to crank up the difficulty I think after I get through the whole game when I play it the next time. Still, it is quite amazing to be able to play a powerhouse game like Quake II on the MiSTer. I used to play that on my Pentium Pro. I am hoping one day the 486 core power can be increased to these levels. I still think there is a possibility with a redesigned x86 CPU using newer CPU optimization technologies.
metal_slugger

Unread post by metal_slugger »

barfood wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:44 pm I like shoot em ups

1. Einhander - most eye-catching game on the system in my opinion
2. Raystorm
3. Raiden Project
4. Thunder Force V
5. Gradius Gaiden
Barfood stole my thoughts, but i'd add in R-Type Delta, an excellent PS1 exclusive
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

We were doing this already some time ago... My favs are posted early in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=3678

thorr wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:52 pm I only got a chance to try a few minutes of a few games so far, but I am totally blown away and can't believe the MiSTer is capable of this level of gaming.
That's probably why we are all so amazed at the fantastic job made by FPGAzumSpass!

thorr wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:52 pm A lot of the early 3D games I used to play are available for the Playstation, so I can't wait to play some of those again along with the titles in this thread. For example, I am looking forward to trying Quake II (mentioned), Forsaken and the Tomb Raider series.
The Tomb Raider series aren't the best version, honestly. It suffers a lot from perspective issues (rendering order, mainly), texture distortion, gaps between polygons and glitching. Still, it has the advantage that it's a console rather than a computer, and as long as it keeps being preserved by software or hardware emulators, it will not be affected by bit rotting and it will keep being playable like forever.

Also, these glitches are ones I'm willing to forgive.

thorr wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:52 pm I tried a few driving games and quickly realized I need to hook up my steering wheel. I have been spoiled using it over the years and using a thumbstick instead was well, you know, not as good to put it politely. I am not sure if any of these games support analog throttle and brake controls or not, but it would be cool if they did.
Can't tell which ones exactly, but late racing games began to use the left thumbstick for steering and the right one for (analog) accel/brake.
pgimeno
Top Contributor

Unread post by pgimeno »

DuckSocker wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:00 amNonetheless, I've found the challenge of making a top 5 interesting, but I also took it one step further by making a top 5 for every years from 1994 (ps1 launch) to 2000 (ps2 launch), then from this shorter list I made an overall top 5.

[snip: awesome list]

2000: (year of the ps2 launch but ps1 releases haven't stopped before 2006!)
You've posted some titles I didn't even know and are quite interesting. Would you mind to make a top five of all titles released on 2001 or later? (just one list, not per year). I don't like to be missing on interesting things!
DuckSocker

Unread post by DuckSocker »

pgimeno wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:58 pm Would you mind to make a top five of all titles released on 2001 or later?
I'd be glad to.

2001:
Castlevania Chronicles -> HD remake of Akumajō Dracula previously released only on X68000
Dance Dance Revolution -> Say what you want, this was a revolution
Looney Tunes: Sheep Raider -> Wacky 3D puzzles/action games
Shin Megami Tensei -> epic RPG series (3 games on the ps1) the Ps1 releases are in fact remaster of SNES games (I personally prefer the look'N'feels on the SNES but that's my problem)
Fear Effect 2 -> Lara Croft in the future

Getting past 2001 it gets pretty hard to find any *great* games at all, the ps2 was an instant hit and almost everybody jumped in immediately.
Here my best-of of 2002-2003:
Alfred Chicken -> Cute platformer, sequel to the game of the same name
C-12: Final Resistance -> 3D Action shooter set after an alien invasion
CT Special Forces -> French Metal Slug (3 games series)
Gegege no Kitarou -> 2D yokai bashing sidescroller
Jinx -> Spyro/Mario 64 style 3D platformer adventure

After 2003 the ps1 really had nothing more to offer aside late ports, sports games and 2 yeti-sports games... Only 1 game "came out" in 2006, but it was a collector edition of the first Strider which was already playable in Strider 2.

And because I feel like it, here's 25 random titles just to show how vast and unique the ps1 library can get:
Jackie Chan - Stuntmaster
Tail Concerto
Hokuto no Ken: Seiki Matsukyu Seishi Densetsu
Arthur to Astaroth no Nazomakaimura: Incredible Toons
Gaball Screen
Intelligent Qube
Kagero: Deception II
Baroque
Pu Li Ru La
Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring
Cho Aniki: Kyuukyoku Muteki Ginga Saikyou Otoko
Baby Universe
Jellyfish - The Healing Friend
Vib-Ribbon
Incredible Crisis
GERMS: Nerawareta Machi
Power Shovel
Hakaiou: King of Crusher
Tall Infinity
Lucifer Ring
EGG
Segare Ijiri
Kula World
Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman
Denki Groove Jigoku V
throAU

Unread post by throAU »

My fave 5 in no order
Gran Turismo 2
Wipeout 2097
Final fantasy 7
Tekken 3
Soul blade
Jegriva

Unread post by Jegriva »

Do not sleep on the MediEvil games.
mikekim

Unread post by mikekim »

Here's my 5: - (slight deviation from the mainstream titles:)

40 Winks
Hogs of War
Syphon Filter
Tenchu Stealth Assassins
Worms