SEGA 16 Public Release

jca
Top Contributor

Re: SEGA 16 Public Release

Unread post by jca »

That is strange, when you say up is up or the up arrow? It has to be the up arrow.
Nether the less we can use brute force to run the Jotego update. While I look for the links I need to provide you can you tell me where your arcade cores are? The SD card (/media/fat/_Arcade) or a uSB drive (/media/usb0/_Arcade?
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

My arcade cores are just in F:/_arcade
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

I put my microSD back into my pc and it had set FB terminal back to 0, so I changed it back to 1, saved it, put it back in the MiSTer and the display is still cut off in exactly the same way when I do "update_all"
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

I like Shinobi. 😁

Hopefully Sega System 32 (Spider-Man) will be taken under consideration. People please donate to Jotegos Patreon for these wonderful releases.
Dreams don't die!
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Ok, it looks like you are a MISTer and Linux noob, nothing wrong about that but it can make things a little more difficult to understand and explain on my side.
When you said your _Arcade directory is in F:/_arcade it means it is on your SD card and on the Linux side it is on /media/fat/_Arcade. You should have said F:\_Arcade. Notice that \ is used on Windows and / on Linux, note also that I said Arcade, not arcade. This is very important: Windows does not care about capitalization but Linux does. In this case it is not so important as /media/fat/_Arcade is on a fat partition where Linux does not care about case sensitivity.
I seem to be a little picky but it is better to know about that as it can be important. But on a fat partition it is not so critical.

That said and before we try to solve the Jotego problem I have something else to say.
I suppose you do not know much about FTP and SSH as you are using Sneaker Net to transfer your files by moving your SD card to your PC. It is not a very good idea of popping in and out the SD card from its holder, this thing is really fragile. At this time you have no other choice. For the future I recommend you to download and install Putty and WinSCP on your PC, use the latest versions. This will be the object of a future lesson but install them now so you can see what it is about.

Now back to S16:
Go to https://github.com/jotego/jtbin/tree/ma ... ter/update.
Download update_jtcores.sh, you do not want the other script.
Place it in your Scripts directory.
While you are in your scripts directory you will see several directories starting with a dot (.) go thru all these directories and subdirectories and delete any file named last_run or anything referring to last run. This will force a full resync of your MISTer. It won't break anything but the first time you run any update it will take longer than usual because the update will think you never did an update and will check everything. Anything missing from your MISTer will be downloaded.
Now put back your SD card into your MISTer and run the update_jtcores.sh. It should update all your Jotego cores/mras and install what is missing.
If it still does not work I will have to think about it.
Note that some users had this kind of problem, some managed to fix it, some ended up redoing their SD card from scratch. I don't think redoing the SD card is necessary but some users got tired to try this, try that, try something else ... and decided it would be faster to redo the SD card.
That was a long post, I hope it is not confusing and I wish you good luck. I will be unavailable for a little while but as of now I do not have any good idea if it does not work.
Regarding the Update All script I have no idea at this time and it would also be a good idea to talk about it in a different place in the forum as it is kind of OT in the Arcade thread (or whatever it is called).
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Captain FPGA wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:57 pm I like Shinobi. 😁

Hopefully Sega System 32 (Spider-Man) will be taken under consideration. People please donate to Jotegos Patreon for these wonderful releases.
Jotego has more than enough at this time, in particular he has to work on some loaner Arcade PCBs. Once he gave his schedule and it is really full I think no free time before the second part of the year but it could be more as I don't remember exactly.
No SYS32 anytime soon from JT.
Captain FPGA

Unread post by Captain FPGA »

jca wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:11 pm
Captain FPGA wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:57 pm I like Shinobi. 😁

Jotego has more than enough at this time, in particular he has to work on some loaner Arcade PCBs. Once he gave his schedule and it is really full I think no free time before the second part of the year but it could be more as I don't remember exactly.
No SYS32 anytime soon from JT.
Forgot about the schedule.

We'll see if he considers it at some point still it could be really cool. I assume nothing about his time that's for him to decide not us.
Dreams don't die!
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

Sorry all for highjacking this thread with my very individual issue!

JCA, I followed what you said, and now the JT cores are all coming in so thanks very much. And yes, I'm definitely a Linux noob!
AmanoJacu

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

jca wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:30 pm E-Swat set 4 is not in the public release as far as I can tell, I suppose I have it because at one time I was getting the beta versions (which I could not use as I am not a patron). At the time there were 2 places used by the downloader jtbin and JTSTABLE. This has changed so I don't think you can get them any longer. You should still have the set 1 in alternatives as it is in the public release.
Does Body Slam works for you? I get a black screen.
I downloaded the mra file for E-Swat directly from public github, set 4, and it worked (I don't have his patreon); but yes, there's another version of E-Swat (set 1) in the alternatives folder (downloaded by update_all) and that one works too.

I tried Body Slam and an alternative, and they don't work, just a black screen.

In Wonderboy III, the version in the main folder works but I don't have any sound, while I tried the first one in the alternatives folder and it works fine with sound.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Where did you exactly find E-Swat set 4? I have been unable to find it, not that I need it as I have it but just by curiosity.
Blamo

Unread post by Blamo »

The core doesn't quite seem out of beta yet, it's just public now. There are probably encrypted romsets that don't work yet and some remaining bugs in a few games. The hardware seemed to prove a lot trickier than expected and since most of the games are running great Jotego decided to get a public build out to make further fixes easier.

Would be nice to get some clear documentation on what isn't working right however.
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Does anyone else have problems with the default controller settings? I cannot do anything in any of these games, I have to manually set the controls for each one, and even that doesn’t really work, I can’t get past the title screen for most games!
AfterBurnett

Unread post by AfterBurnett »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:52 pm I can't see games like Outrun, Turbo Outrun, Super Hang-on, etc.. are these not yet supported ?
Those are not System 16 games. I assume System 32 etc will be supported at some stage. I'd love Out Run!
AmanoJacu

jca wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:06 am Where did you exactly find E-Swat set 4? I have been unable to find it, not that I need it as I have it but just by curiosity.
I found the mra here:

https://github.com/jotego/jts16/blob/ma ... -0130).mra

It worked just fine, using the same E-Swat rom update_all had already downloaded.
C-R-T wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:38 am Does anyone else have problems with the default controller settings? I cannot do anything in any of these games, I have to manually set the controls for each one, and even that doesn’t really work, I can’t get past the title screen for most games!
I believe default controls work fine in these games for me, although I use to change controls and video settings the first time I boot a core. Then I haven't got any problem with the button configuration I choose.
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

C-R-T wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:38 am Does anyone else have problems with the default controller settings? I cannot do anything in any of these games, I have to manually set the controls for each one, and even that doesn’t really work, I can’t get past the title screen for most games!
That´s weird. I´ve just configured the controls once and then they work for the rest of the games flawlessly. At least Golden Axe, Altered Beast and Alien Syndrome work fine for me.
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

AfterBurnett wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:42 am
Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:52 pm I can't see games like Outrun, Turbo Outrun, Super Hang-on, etc.. are these not yet supported ?
Those are not System 16 games. I assume System 32 etc will be supported at some stage. I'd love Out Run!
It's based on System 16, it definitely isn't System 32.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:51 pm
Those games are the first versions of the Sega Super Scaler hardware, predecessors to the Sega X/Y boards which were predecessors themselves to System 32.
CMR

Unread post by CMR »

Heck yea, Aurail and Bayroute FTW.
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

dmckean wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:07 pm
Those games are the first versions of the Sega Super Scaler hardware, predecessors to the Sega X/Y boards which were predecessors themselves to System 32.
I am fully aware of the history, I lived through it. I also didn't ask for a history lesson, I asked 1 simple question that should have had one simple answer.
2 posts in, and already this forum seems a tad aggressive.
Blamo

Unread post by Blamo »

Super Scaler games aren't supported yet. Despite sharing a lot with ordinary System 16 hardware they also have an entire extra board with beefy graphics chipsets and a lot of variation between games. So they're pretty serious projects that would take a lot of additional work to get running.
AmanoJacu

I believe at some point Jotego said that Out Run should be playable this year 2022.
neogeo81

Unread post by neogeo81 »

you guys seem to have some issue with your setups and are blaming it on jotegos work, really?

On my side everything works and all the games start as they should. Some games can be located in the alternatives folders as they where before.

From reading your issues i would recommend to do a fresh sd card as there is to much broken in your setups.
neogeo81

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:33 pm
I am fully aware of the history, I lived through it. I also didn't ask for a history lesson, I asked 1 simple question that should have had one simple answer.
Because you are asking about games that are not on the System 16. We are talking about the public release of the System 16 and you are asking about OutRun which is not a System 16 Game.
neogeo81

No they aren't. Check your facts please:

here all system 16 games:
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=700
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=701

OutRun has his own system board with the other super scaler games:
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=697
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

AmanoJacu wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:04 am I believe at some point Jotego said that Out Run should be playable this year 2022.
That´s correct. Outrun it´s likely to be released under 2022.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:33 pm
You did receive a simple answer. Outrun, Turbo Outrun and Super Hang-On are not and have never been Sega 16 games. So no, they're not in this core.
AmanoJacu

Hodor wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:07 am
AmanoJacu wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:04 am I believe at some point Jotego said that Out Run should be playable this year 2022.
That´s correct. Outrun it´s likely to be released under 2022.
For reference, here's the tweet I remembered from Jotego stating we should have Out Run in 2022:

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/148 ... LKbMltlLtw
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

Early super scaler hardware looks like it relates to System 16 like Wii relates to Gamecube. They basically added a 2nd 68000 CPU and a dedicated video board. So it's not inconceivable to group them into System 16, but they technically are not System 16 ("Outrun hardware" and "Super Hang-On Hardware" etc.) and I guess Jotego will therefore not classify then that way. And of course duplicating that dedicated video board that does all the scaling/rotation will probably be quite a task over just System 16.
AfterBurnett

Unread post by AfterBurnett »

Yeah, I didn't word my answer correctly. I was stating two different things. Out Run wasn't System 16 and hopefully we'll get System 32 one day (which if that happens I assume we'll have the stuff in between).
RiotRay

Unread post by RiotRay »

Hi!

I just noticed, that I'm getting the "patreon"-message in all System16 games too. Since I'm a patreon and have downloaded the latest "jtbeta.zip" that should not be the case. Deleting the .mra get me the same result after "update_all".

Do I have to download the public .mra anywhere else? Where?

Thx