SEGA 16 Public Release

jca
Top Contributor

SEGA 16 Public Release

Unread post by jca »

As per JT:
SEGA System 16 core for #MiSTerFPGA is now public. There still are some things to work on so expect updates.

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1502386489925242880
jca
Top Contributor

Re: SEGA 16 Public Release

Unread post by jca »

:o
It looks like someone "hacked" my account. Could it be the moderator? I was in a hurry when I made the post and the Subject was just Sega 16 and there was no link. Thanks, it is much better now but does not seem to attract the crowds.
When the core was in beta everyone was crying "When will it be public?", now it is public and everyone forgot about it and moved on.
Thanks to Jotego the arcade addict (I hope no one finds a cure).
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Lovely to see this reach final release! Shinobi is a great arcade game.
she/her
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

This is news to me, I had completely missed the update. Thanks for the info, I had been waiting excited for this release for a while!
C-R-T

Unread post by C-R-T »

Will this be downloaded if I run Update all now? Or do I need to do something more?

What games are they?

EDIT: Yes they were downloaded with update all.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

Thank you for the heads up and thank you José for releasing it to public!

Also a big thanks to all patreons who make his work possible!
Hodor

Unread post by Hodor »

Great news! Now it´s time to enjoy them all.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I am having a lot of problems with this release and I make this post to see if it is only me.
I just wanted to make a preliminary test by just starting each game, check it loads and see what the demo mode showed. At this stage I did not even plan to start the game.
As there is a bunch of games and I do not know their names I used the arcade organizer using Collections->Platforms. The 2 platforms are S16A and S16B. S16A points to 4 games and S16B points to 10 games. That is too few, there should be way more. Before trying to figure out what is the problem I started my test with these: most load properly, some give a black screen, some have a remain of the beta as they display a popup saying the beta key is missing, this is just a display and does not prevent the game to work.
Next I went into Jotego jtbin Github to make a list of what I should have. There are many subdirectories due to slight variations in the original boards and jotego had to create several cores.
The directories are s16, s16a2, s16b,s16b1, s16b2 and s16b3 for a total of 29 mras if I counted right. Back to the arcade organizer using the alphabetical list of games they seem to be there but I noticed that at least one is missing:
From jtbin I should have
Altered Beast (set 2) (MC-8123B 317-0066).mra
Altered Beast (set 8) (8751 317-0078).mra
I found only set 8.
At this point I decided to check what I have on my MISTer.
I have the 6 cores.
I have set 2 and set 8 for Altered Beast. I did not check further at this time and decided to check Altered Beast. They both load and I can start them, set 2 gives the popup of the missing beta key but does not prevent the game to run.
At this point I stopped testing and decided to make this post, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
MostroW

Unread post by MostroW »

i've once encountered the beta issue with a core, removing the MRA and redownloading it solved it for me.
all cores work for me.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

A few more things I forgot to mention in my long post.
Passing Shot (World, 2 Players) (FD1094 317-0080).mra is both in s16b and s16b1. The rbf refered to in the mra is s16b. The mra in s16b1 should not be there but do not cause any problem, it is just downloaded twice.
With the aracde organizer I am missing a bunch of games but I also have 2 extras:
E-Swat - Cyber Police (set 4, World) (FD1094 317-0130).mra, it is located in _Arcade
Time Scanner (Set 1, World, S16A) [FD1089B 317-0024].mra, it is located in alternates.
Both work but I did not find them in jtbin.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

@MostroW
I have no doubt everything is working OK on Jotego side and I should have said that I have problems with this release and the Arcade Organizer as it seems that the problems I experience are due to the Arcade Organizer. When I noticed the problem I ram the Organizer script manually making sure to delete the last run file before running it.
I spent so much time trying to figure out what was the problem that I tested only a few games.
Basically what I found is that on some games have the remnant of the beta key popup which does not prevent the games affected from running, I experienced some black screens but I will have to double check and I have the mystery of E-Swat and Time Scanner set 1.
Sorry for giving a false impression
Basically what I am asking is:
Is the Arcade Organizer working properly?
Does everyone get the beta key popup on some games?
What is it about with E-Swat and Time Scanner set 1?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Problem solved for Time Scanner set 1. In the top level jtbin/mister there is an MRA alternatives folder,, the latest zip is from 2021/11/27 and I found Time Scanner set 1, I also found E-Swat set 1. Where in the world is E-Swat set 4?
To fully test System 16 would also require testing the alternatives which would require a list of these alternatives. As far I can see the only way would be to use the Arcade Organizer which does not work for me.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I have most of my stuff on a usb drive.
For the arcade organizer I created update_arcade-organizer.ini which contains:
MRADIR=/media/usb0/_Arcade
ORGDIR=/media/usb0/_Arcade/_Organized
Am I missing something?
FatSlob71

Unread post by FatSlob71 »

ThankYou Jotego :)
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

I'm totally confused. I ran update_all, and all system16 games showed the "this core is in beta phase" error, so I put my card into a pc, manually deleted all system16 files, returned card to my MiSTer, ran update_all again. Now I only have Altered Beast set 2, which still shows beta phase error, and no other system16 games have been (re)downloaded.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong! Other cores (cps2 etc) are working fine
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Periodically user report this kind of problem with the Jotego cores, I guess it comes from the fact that they are not official and are downloaded with the Jotego updater. I think there is solution in the Forum but I am unable to point you in the right direction.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I made some progress:
For now I started the mras directly from the Arcade directory. No more Organizer until I know what is going on.
Body Slam -> Black Screen
Altered Beast set 2 -> beta popup
Tough Turf -> Starts into the Test Menu which may be normal
To be sure it was not old mras I re-downloaded the mras directly from jtbin.
No change but I noticed something regarding Altered Beast: it says S16 beta 7 while all other mras say Sly Spy. So it could be the core is still in beta but released to the public.
Regarding E-Swat set 4 which is not in jtbin and thus must be an old version I get the beta popup.
Regarding Time Scanner set 1 which is an alternative dating from 2021/11/27 I get the beta popup.
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

How do I get the Jotego updater?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It is started via the update_all script but you must enable it. Start the script, press the up arrow and you get a menu where you can enable/disable a lot of stuff.
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

Just got my Mister in post, this morning. Spent most hours on getting everything running.
Of course, Sega System 16 is my childhood dreams from my 80s Arcades gaming in Minehead UK.
Got everything up and working, but I can't see games like Outrun, Turbo Outrun, Super Hang-on, etc.. are these not yet supported ?
FoxbatStargazer
Top Contributor

Unread post by FoxbatStargazer »

I disabled jt_premium before running update_all and the Sega 16 stuff worked fine. I was accessing cores from in the full menu though, not going into the organized folders. I would allow some time for the organizer to be updated for system 16 joining the public side.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

I am surprised that the organizer has to be updated: it scans recursively the arcade directory for mras and the mras have all the information to organize the mras. But I don't know the in and out of the script so there could be more to it. I will see what happens.
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

Sorry, me again!

I tried to press up on update_all but nothing happened. I get an error:

"
SORRY!
can't display the SETTINGS sc
Maybe you have fb_terminal=0
NOTE it could still work if
[Menu]
Vga_scaler=1
"

I've looked around the forum for a fix but I've not been able to find anything. I've obviously got something wrong in my setup somewhere.
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

Are you using VGA or HDMI.
Edit MISTer.ini and look for vga_scaler. If you use VGA set it to 1 else leave it to 0.
look for fb_terminal and set it to 1 regardless of VGA/HDMI.
AmanoJacu

Unread post by AmanoJacu »

I have run update_all and all the games I tried work OK so far, but I can't find E-Swat on the list. The roms have been downloaded, but I can't find a mra file for it. Am I missing something? Thanks!
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

E-Swat set 4 is not in the public release as far as I can tell, I suppose I have it because at one time I was getting the beta versions (which I could not use as I am not a patron). At the time there were 2 places used by the downloader jtbin and JTSTABLE. This has changed so I don't think you can get them any longer. You should still have the set 1 in alternatives as it is in the public release.
Does Body Slam works for you? I get a black screen.
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

JCA, I'm using hdmi. VGA scaler was already set to 0. FB terminal was set to 0, and I changed it to 1. Unfortunately, it's still the same as before.

On the side during update all, it says:

"Update_all.sh"

Is that the right one?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

It should be. When you say it is the same I suspect the script runs but you do not get the S16 mras. Is this correct?
jca
Top Contributor

Unread post by jca »

May be I did not ask the right question. Were you able to enable the update for jotego cores?
Jlz

Unread post by Jlz »

No Jotego cores. I've pressed 'up' on both keyboard and arcade stick and it's not done anything, so I've not been able to change the settings