GBC Rumble Support

Moondandy
Top Contributor

GBC Rumble Support

Unread post by Moondandy »

Rather excitingly we now have controller rumble support in main for the PS1 core. Would it now be possible to add in rumble support for the GBC games that has rumble build into the cart? It would be a nice extra to have, there were 23 of these carts released globally (16 in the US).

10 Pin Bowling
3-D Ultra Pinball Thrillride
Chee-Chai Alien (ちっちゃいエイリアン)
Disney's The Little Mermaid II: Pinball Frenzy
Get Mushi Club: Minna no Konchu Daizukan (Get'虫倶楽部 みんなの昆虫大図鑑)
Hole in One Golf
Legend of the River King 2 / Kawa no Nushi Tsuri 4 (川のぬし釣り4)
Missile Command
NASCAR Challenge
Nushi Tsuri Adventure - Kaito no Bouken (ぬし釣りアドベンチャー カイトの冒険)
Perfect Dark
Pokémon Pinball
Polaris SnoCross
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Super Black Bass: Real Fight
Super Real Fishing
Test Drive Off-Road 3
Tonka Raceway
Top Gear Pocket / Top Gear Rally
Top Gear Pocket 2
Vigilante 8
Zebco Fishing

gjo8S2U.jpeg
gjo8S2U.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 5011 times
KremlingKuthroat19

Re: GBC Rumble Support

Unread post by KremlingKuthroat19 »

Yes! Would love to add rumble to GBC games! Also, would love to get rumble for GBA working.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Yeah, now that we have it in main be great for it to be implemented in other cores. I am wondering if there are any other cores that could use it. Did any of the 486 era PC games have feedback/rumble? If we get Pokemon Mini it could use rumble.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

Moondandy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:09 pm Yeah, now that we have it in main be great for it to be implemented in other cores. I am wondering if there are any other cores that could use it. Did any of the 486 era PC games have feedback/rumble? If we get Pokemon Mini it could use rumble.
There's probably not any 486 games that support it since the first PC controller with rumble was the Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro joystick that was released in November of 1997 which was well into the Pentium era. But maybe there's a game or two from that era that still ran on a 486?

Maybe there's some arcade cores with haptic feedback that could benefit?
Moondandy
Top Contributor

I remember we had a discussion about arcade rumble support a year or so ago and nobody could name any from the eras that MiSTer covers that had feedback. If anyone can think of any please chime in!
Kitrinx
Core Developer

Unread post by Kitrinx »

Moondandy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:51 pm I remember we had a discussion about arcade rumble support a year or so ago and nobody could name any from the eras that MiSTer covers that had feedback. If anyone can think of any please chime in!
perhaps irritating maze for neogeo which had air jets that made noise and stuff could be replaced by rumble. I dont know if that game is even playable on mister.
Blamo

Unread post by Blamo »

Darius had a special speaker underneath the player seat to make it vibrate along to the music.

Similarly Taito's Teatro 50 cabinet had embedded speakers in the seat back to vibrate the player. The only game I know for sure that was designed to really take advantage of it was G-Darius where it would only vibrate during significant events but I'd expect other G-Net games to have utilized it.
TLPD-AVW

Unread post by TLPD-AVW »

Moondandy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:51 pm I remember we had a discussion about arcade rumble support a year or so ago and nobody could name any from the eras that MiSTer covers that had feedback. If anyone can think of any please chime in!
A novel but slightly pointless rumble feature could be added to Q*Bert. Actual arcade cabinet had a kicker mechanism hidden inside which would hit cabinet's wall whenever any character fell off the level. That resulted in a pretty deep loud sound. I don't know if kicker hitting the cabinet from inside could be felt by a player, but a short rumble burst could be appropriate to amplify the effect.
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I just mentioned the Q*Bert kicker in another thread, that is a good idea.

Wario Ware Twisted (GBA) has awesome haptic feedback that works in combination with its gyro. It uses a linear actuator for haptic feedback though, so regular dual-shock-style motors will not be accurate enough. The rumble cartridge used on the DS is similar to the Wario Ware cartridge and really good with Metroid Pinball (but there is of course no DS core).

Some GBA games support rumble when used with the GBA player on the GameCube.

I have Pokémon Pinball, it is hilarious, Pikachu screams PIKKAAAA PIKKAAAA and the thing vibrates so hard it feels like the GBC is going to explode.
darksakul

Unread post by darksakul »

Game boy Color, Game Boy Advance, PS1 are the only cores I can think of that had native Rumble support.
Kitrinx wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:14 pm perhaps irritating maze for neogeo which had air jets that made noise and stuff could be replaced by rumble. I dont know if that game is even playable on mister.
Original game uses a trackball, but there is hacks/edits to use a joystick instead. So yes it's playable.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
Moondandy
Top Contributor

One other core to hopefully add to the list is Pokemon Mini which is being worked on; it had rumble feedback.

Any devs interested in trying to get it working in the GBC core? Be really nice feature to have now we have functionality in Main.

Hopefully Robert, or someone else, is able to hook up the GBA core to enable the feature there.