"Shimmering" effect over composite video

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
green_onion

"Shimmering" effect over composite video

Unread post by green_onion »

My apologies if this question has been previously asked on the forum, but has anyone solved the "shimmering" effect when using composite output with Antonio Villena's VGA->Composite/S-video adapter?

I've tried it on at least three different consumer CRTs and while all the cores I've tried sync and scale just fine, everything seems to have a rather distracting color "roll" to the pixels themselves.

Has anyone successfully fixed this, or alternatively is there a different composite setup or adapter which alleviates this?
akeley
Top Contributor

Re: "Shimmering" effect over composite video

Unread post by akeley »

It has: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4302

The short answer is no, perhaps in the future.
green_onion

akeley wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:05 pm It has: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4302

The short answer is no, perhaps in the future.
Thanks. It appears this is a complicated issue with no simple solution.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

Luckily, the S-Video output on Antonio's adapter doesn't have nearly as bad shimmering / crawl dot, so if your monitor supports that input option, I recommend you check it out. The results might be sufficient for your needs.
green_onion

barfood wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:18 pm Luckily, the S-Video output on Antonio's adapter doesn't have nearly as bad shimmering / crawl dot, so if your monitor supports that input option, I recommend you check it out. The results might be sufficient for your needs.
I do have S-Video on one CRT of mine, and the image is clear and stable on Antonio's adapter. Problem is that set weighs a ton and is setup in an awkward location, so I was still kind of curious about setting up the MiSTer on some of the smaller, purely composite-only sets I have.
barfood

Unread post by barfood »

green_onion wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:19 pm so I was still kind of curious about setting up the MiSTer on some of the smaller, purely composite-only sets I have.
You can hunt a Commodore 1702 monitor (easier said than done, but they are easy to find online) and grab a split chroma/luma adapter. That's what I use.
http://herculesworkshop.com/cgi-bin/p/a ... item=76537