Help with BT gamepad. Start button is always F12, can't be remapped to Start button in cores

Discussion of keyboards, gamepads, joysticks and other input related peripherals.
8bitAndy

Help with BT gamepad. Start button is always F12, can't be remapped to Start button in cores

Unread post by 8bitAndy »

I'm using an Atari VCS Modern bluetooth gamepad that has select, guide and start buttons like an XBox controller. When paired to Windows, the select, guide and start buttons show as separate button presses.

I'm having problems using the Start button on this controller with MiSTer cores. It seems to be mapped to F12, which clears the button definitions and restarts the mapping. For example, when mapping the buttons in the Atari 5200 core I get to PRESS: START, I press the Start button on the controller, the OSD shows "Clearing" and the mapping starts from the beginning at PRESS: RIGHT
I've tried clearing all mapping in the core, redefining the joystick in MiSTer (both setting Start as Start, and Start as Undefined) as well as forgetting the BT controller and re-pairing it.

Is this expected, or is there something else I can try?
Drexl

Re: Help with BT gamepad. Start button is always F12, can't be remapped to Start button in cores

Unread post by Drexl »

Well, in the manual it says you can put it in PC mode by holding down the back and menu buttons (essentially select and start) for 5 seconds. The logo will flash on and off until it's in PC mode.
8bitAndy

Re: Help with BT gamepad. Start button is always F12, can't be remapped to Start button in cores

Unread post by 8bitAndy »

Drexl wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:03 pm Well, in the manual it says you can put it in PC mode by holding down the back and menu buttons (essentially select and start) for 5 seconds. The logo will flash on and off until it's in PC mode.
Thanks for the suggestion. Pressing the two buttons for five seconds doesn't do anything, at least not when connected via Bluetooth.
Bren McGuire

Unread post by Bren McGuire »

8bitAndy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:36 am
Drexl wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:03 pm Well, in the manual it says you can put it in PC mode by holding down the back and menu buttons (essentially select and start) for 5 seconds. The logo will flash on and off until it's in PC mode.
Thanks for the suggestion. Pressing the two buttons for five seconds doesn't do anything, at least not when connected via Bluetooth.
Maybe it's another combination, I've got a Mega Drive USB controller (from retrobit) that works only after I keep Start and B for a couple of seconds. IMO the best course of action is that you find out how to switch (maybe try in Windows first, the name of the controller should change).