MiSTer Google Slides PDF Project

Community created YouTube tutorials, interviews and helpful online information guides.
alanswx
Core Developer

MiSTer Google Slides PDF Project

Unread post by alanswx »

Now that the help menu has shipped, I am requesting some help on the PDFs that should accompany each computer and console core. Christophe, and some others have done the initial steps, but I would love some more help.

See the source files:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... hWhlYTYAVs

Feel free to request write access to this folder.

Christophe was working in PowerPoint, but I would like to stay in Google Slides so it is easier for us to collaborate. If you want to edit a PowerPoint, save it as google slide from within the google editor first.

I don't have a great way of getting the PDFs into the repos yet, other than putting in a PR for the PDF being inserted into the releases folder. If you own any of these cores, feel free to finish and upload the PDF yourself (it would save me a lot of time).

Thank you!
zorrobandito

Re: MiSTer Google Slides PDF Project

Unread post by zorrobandito »

What a fantastic initiative! I'll happily contribute as I've built up my own list of do's, dont's, tips and tricks for many systems.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

zorrobandito wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:43 pm What a fantastic initiative! I'll happily contribute as I've built up my own list of do's, dont's, tips and tricks for many systems.
Great! request access, or PM me your gmail capable email address.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

BTW - the screen shots on some of them are just placeholders until we have more content.
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

I don't think the MC-10 and TRS-80 are correct, nor should they be combined.
AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

I will try to help on Sinclair QL!
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

There's a lot of good, concise info in this MiSTer Manual: https://github.com/adreeve/MiSTerManual ... Manual.pdf
user7182

Unread post by user7182 »

I have some suggestions for content on the AO486 Overview. I included a list of assigned interrupts, DMA channels, a system address map, and memory map. I took a shot at laying it out, but it definitely still needs work.
Attachments
AO486 Overview.odp
(137.48 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

The Electron sheet has the wrong colour info. Happy to correct it.
Christophe

Unread post by Christophe »

I am very happy that passionate people continue to provide information, to make corrections. I certainly made mistakes and I apologize. I only have a few old computers and of course my Mister to test... Many infos comes from manufacturers manuals.
I'll continue as soon as I have more free time.
Thanks you Alan for this feature !
Moondandy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Moondandy »

Congrats on the feature fully launching Alan! I have haven't been about the last few days as had a friend staying, but the other week I added a column to the sheet used for tty2oled image support tracking for .pdf guides to help track what has been done, worked on and what hasn't got a guide/cheat sheet. Is an easy way to see what is outstanding if anyone is looking to join the project:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

I don't know which ones are now live, rather than W.I.P. so this will need updated. If anyone would like edit access to help maintain this then please request on the sheet or PM me your email address
Chilli_Vibes

Unread post by Chilli_Vibes »

Brilliant idea, but not sure why you are calling them "Cheat" sheets ?

Load "*"
Run

How is that a cheat ? It's a command.
Christophe

Maybe the word CHEAT is just an acronym for "Comprehensive and Helpful Environment For Answering Things" ?
nico24
Core Developer

Unread post by nico24 »

That's funny. Cheating in the sense of not doing all the background research into the system yourself, so cheating the 'system'...
johhenrik

Unread post by johhenrik »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:36 pm Brilliant idea, but not sure why you are calling them "Cheat" sheets ?

Load "*"
Run

"cheat sheet
noun INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
a piece of paper bearing written notes intended to aid one's memory, typically one used surreptitiously in an examination."
Chilli_Vibes

johhenrik wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:05 pm
Chilli_Vibes wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:36 pm Brilliant idea, but not sure why you are calling them "Cheat" sheets ?

Load "*"
Run

"cheat sheet
noun INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
a piece of paper bearing written notes intended to aid one's memory, typically one used surreptitiously in an examination."
Cheat

act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.
"she always cheats at cards"

gain an advantage over or deprive of something by using unfair or deceitful methods; defraud.
"he had cheated her out of everything she had"

avoid (something undesirable) by luck or skill.
"she cheated death in a spectacular crash"

I don't think that applies to someone typing "Load "*" " into a Mister core. If Load or run is cheating, then I guess the whole of 80s gamers were cheats.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

SEMANTIC FIGHT! What would the internet be without them? :D

Seriosuly though, "cheat sheet" is fine, it's a metaphore, and everyone (well, nearly) knows it does not imply real cheating.
Chilli_Vibes

Ahh, I see. So, you can "Help" with this, but any discussion involving the name, that is off limits on a discussion forum ?
Got it.
Off to read my Amstrad 6128 "Cheat" book, because it's not a manual any more, that's just a "Metaphore" [sic]
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:21 pm Ahh, I see. So, you can "Help" with this, but any discussion involving the name, that is off limits on a discussion forum ?
Who said anything about "off limits?". Or is stating an opinion different to yours off limits and not part of a "discussion"?
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Hetzen wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:09 pm The Electron sheet has the wrong colour info. Happy to correct it.
Please fix it!
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Load "*"
Run

I decided to change them to "Overview" instead of "Cheat" -- see the ones I actually released. But a cheat sheet for VIM or some tech is usually just a quick summary of commands on a piece of paper.

Inspired by:
http://beagle.applearchives.com/posters.htm
Chilli_Vibes

akeley wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:25 pm Who said anything about "off limits?". Or is stating an opinion different to yours off limits and not part of a "discussion"?
I can't remember specifically asking for your opinion.
I decided to change them to "Overview" instead of "Cheat" -- see the ones I actually released. But a cheat sheet for VIM or some tech is usually just a quick summary of commands on a piece of paper.
Thanks alanswx, for the post. I like what you are doing, they look good. If I can help in any way, I will try. I have lots of old retro manuals, and a few retro machines here.
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

Chilli_Vibes wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:41 pm I can't remember specifically asking for your opinion.
It seems your concept of what constitutes a "discussion" varies rather wildly from mine. Duly noted for the future.
Chilli_Vibes

akeley wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:46 pm
Chilli_Vibes wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:41 pm I can't remember specifically asking for your opinion.
It seems your concept of what constitutes a "discussion" varies rather wildly from mine. Duly noted for the future.
Well, you can do the easy thing, and follow this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=4318

I suggest you follow that advice, then you won't have to read anything from me again. Problem solved, even though there never was a problem, I simply asked a simple question, then all the drama queens showed up to make something out of nothing. :roll:
Christophe

I looked at the changes that were made to the sheets. Lots of great ideas. However, I just regret the lack of harmonization between all of them. My favorite style remains the one for Amstrad CPC6128: image of the computer,keyboard and pictures (2 pictures).
it keeps as much essential information as possible on the first page: commands, keyboard, rom bios...
I was thinking of adding a second page with explanations on each of the core-specific menus.
What do you think ?
alanswx
Core Developer

Unread post by alanswx »

Christophe wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:38 am I looked at the changes that were made to the sheets. Lots of great ideas. However, I just regret the lack of harmonization between all of them. My favorite style remains the one for Amstrad CPC6128: image of the computer,keyboard and pictures (2 pictures).
it keeps as much essential information as possible on the first page: commands, keyboard, rom bios...
I was thinking of adding a second page with explanations on each of the core-specific menus.
What do you think ?
I think a second page would be great. I am open to design changes. I put in the screen shots just to fill space so it wouldn't be blank. They can be removed and replaced with content.
thoseposers

Unread post by thoseposers »

If you need help with basic formatting tasks I'd love to help.
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Could we add expected video format of the system to help with people wanting to use CRTs.