MT32-Pi Issue

McNutts

MT32-Pi Issue

Unread post by McNutts »

Hello All,

I recently got into MiSTer and I love this little thing. It's letting me play all the games from my childhood and I love it.

After reading up on the MT32-Pi I decided to buy a hat from someone online and throw it on my old Rasberry Pi 3 B+ I had collecting dust. I followed the instruction on the Github site and the youtube videos I found. I changed the setting in the mt32-pi.cfg file and placed the sound fonts in the roms directory. I just seem to be doing something wrong here.

Here is what I have done:

1) Formated the SD card in FAT32
2) Downloaded the latest release from the MT32-Pi Github page
3) Download some font files I found at an archive site
4) Edited the mt32-pi.cfg file for the 5 different setting the wiki suggest to edit
5) Connected the MT32-Pi hat to my Rasberry Pi with an approved USB cable
6) Insert the SD card to the Pi
7) Turn on everything and try out the setup

When I try out Dracula on the X6800 I am able to see the screen on the MT32-Pi hat showing that it's playing midi. That is, I'm seeing a number of columns go up and down. The issue is that I'm not hearing any midi. I also don't have a MT32-Pi option in the OSD from the MiSTer menu. The same thing happens with Ao486 when I try out a Kings Quest game, I see the columns moving but no music.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what I can do to trouble shoot this?

Is there anything on the MiSTer side I need to do other than connecting the MT32-Pi to the Analog IO board USB port? Like edit a config?

I already reinstalled all of the files thinking I might have made a mistake.
Xbytez
Site Admin

Re: MT32-Pi Issue

Unread post by Xbytez »

Which IO board version do you have?

Also check the following:

https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wik ... -io-boards
McNutts

Unread post by McNutts »

I double checked my config and I had simple_encoder instead of simple_buttons. When I changed that I was then able to see the option for the MT32-Pi in the on screen display menu for MiSTer in the X68000 core while trying out Dracula.

To Xbytez: I have the v6.1 Analog IO board. I bought it from https://www.misterkits.com/ a month or two ago. I will also wip out the multi meter and see if the header connection are good.
McNutts

Unread post by McNutts »

I switched the output_device = pwm and was able to hear the midi audio through some headphones connected directly to the Rasberry Pi 3 B+. So there is a problem with the audio being sent back to the MiSTer I would assume. I followed the instructions and set that setting to i2s and nothing could be heard from the MiSTer.
McNutts

Unread post by McNutts »

Well I must have made an error with my config file.

I reinstalled all of the files to the SD card again and didn't get any midi audio at first. Then I switched the output_device to pwm to check if I got sound from the headphone port and I did. Then I switched it to HDMI to see what would happen and I didn't get any midi audio from the MiSTers HDMI port. So I switched it back to i2s and tried my fiber optic cable I have connected to the MiSTer IO board and I got audio. I immediately switched back over to the HDMI out on my receiver and I'm getting midi audio there too.

I the only thing that has really changed is the config file so that must have been it. I must have put something in there I didn't realize.

But it's working now so I'm going to go play some Dracula on the X68000 then play some Kings Quest on the Ao486 core in all it's midi glory.

Thank you Xbytez for trying to help out. I appreciate it.
twonunpackmule

Unread post by twonunpackmule »

Did you include the script for disabling the power check? Your PI might be getting throttled.
d0pefish
mt32-pi Creator

Unread post by d0pefish »

McNutts wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:46 pm ...switched it to HDMI to see what would happen and I didn't get any midi audio from the MiSTers HDMI port.

Code: Select all

output_device = hdmi
is for HDMI audio output from the Raspberry Pi, not the MiSTer.
aberu
Core Developer

Unread post by aberu »

Yup, the creator of the mt32-pi is some how correct! :D

https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wik ... -and-usage
birdybro~
McNutts

Unread post by McNutts »

d0pefish wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:12 pm
McNutts wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:46 pm ...switched it to HDMI to see what would happen and I didn't get any midi audio from the MiSTers HDMI port.

Code: Select all

output_device = hdmi
is for HDMI audio output from the Raspberry Pi, not the MiSTer.
I figured as much. At the time I was trying anything I could to get my retro fix of MIDI audio.

Thank you very much for your work on this project. Between your work and the work done on the MiSTer I’m in retro gaming nirvana.
d0pefish
mt32-pi Creator

Unread post by d0pefish »

My pleasure, enjoy! :)