Analog Controller Sensitivity / Deadzone

McNutts

Analog Controller Sensitivity / Deadzone

Unread post by McNutts »

So a few minutes ago I fired up my MiSTer to play some Metal Gear Solid with the PSX core. Once I could finally control Snake I noticed there is a somewhat large dead zone and it’s either run or stand still.

I could be wrong but I thought there was more control over how Snake moved when played on original hardware with a dual shock controller.

Is there any settings I can mess with to adjust these types of things?

P.S. I’m playing with a Xbox Series controller over Bluetooth.
darksakul

Re: Analog Controller Sensitivity / Deadzone

Unread post by darksakul »

I can't reproduce it on my MiSTer, PS2 or PS3.
It is my great regret that we live in an age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of people who try to.
hooxxx

Unread post by hooxxx »

You can't walk, you can only run in the first Metal Gear Solid so it's not really "true" analog control. Only option for going slow is crawling.
McNutts

Unread post by McNutts »

hooxxx wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:35 am You can't walk, you can only run in the first Metal Gear Solid so it's not really "true" analog control. Only option for going slow is crawling.
That must be it then.

To be honest it’s been a year or two since I played MGS last. I just thought I could walk in the past.

Thanks for the info. I’m going to whip out my launch PS3 and see how it controls on that. If they control the same I’ll gladly play the rest of the game on the MiSTer. If not I’ll play it on my PS3 since I still own my copy of the game from the day it came out.
hooxxx

Unread post by hooxxx »

McNutts wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:11 pm
hooxxx wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:35 am You can't walk, you can only run in the first Metal Gear Solid so it's not really "true" analog control. Only option for going slow is crawling.
That must be it then.

To be honest it’s been a year or two since I played MGS last. I just thought I could walk in the past.

Thanks for the info. I’m going to whip out my launch PS3 and see how it controls on that. If they control the same I’ll gladly play the rest of the game on the MiSTer. If not I’ll play it on my PS3 since I still own my copy of the game from the day it came out.
analog implementation in MGS is poor, there is also no 360 degrees movement, you can only move in 8 directions similar to mapping a dpad/digital only game to analog stick