S-Video and Composite Over Component Output! (Custom Cores)

Discussion about displays and related hardware including MiSTer filters and video settings.
antoniovillena

Re: S-Video and Composite Over Component Output! (Custom Cores)

Unread post by antoniovillena »

dshadoff wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm Does this adapter/circuit have the same problems/incompatibility with the Commodore 1701/1702 montiors that your other composite adapter has ?
I don't know because I have not that monitor to test. But someone with that monitor can try.
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

antoniovillena wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:14 pm
dshadoff wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm Does this adapter/circuit have the same problems/incompatibility with the Commodore 1701/1702 montiors that your other composite adapter has ?
I don't know because I have not that monitor to test. But someone with that monitor can try.
If you want to send me one, I can test it on my 1702 and let you know. If it works I'll buy it LOL.

Right now I'm using the method of component cable and the custom cores and it seems to work fine on the 1702.
antoniovillena

shertz wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:43 pm
antoniovillena wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:14 pm
If you want to send me one, I can test it on my 1702 and let you know. If it works I'll buy it LOL.

Right now I'm using the method of component cable and the custom cores and it seems to work fine on the 1702.
I will send one unit to a Spanish guy to test. If confirm working I will inform in this thread
matijaerceg

Unread post by matijaerceg »

antoniovillena wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:12 pm No, as I know. But he can confirm.
How are you testing your units then, if not with Mike's cores?
antoniovillena

matijaerceg wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:00 pm
antoniovillena wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:12 pm No, as I know. But he can confirm.
How are you testing your units then, if not with Mike's cores?
Yes. I've tested my units with Mike's cores. But I don't know if he implements luma trap for NTSC and PAL or only for one of them. We must wait his confirmation or when he publish his schematics
matijaerceg

antoniovillena wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:48 pm Yes. I've tested my units with Mike's cores. But I don't know if he implements luma trap for NTSC and PAL or only for one of them. We must wait his confirmation or when he publish his schematics
Ah, apologies, I must have misunderstood - I thought you were saying his cores don't send the 0 or 1 for pal/ntsc selection on pin 14. But now I understand that you're saying his cores work fine with your adapter.
MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

Oh awesome another design :)

I have this almost ready to go as well, was just finishing up testing:

PXL-20220506-033708749.jpg
PXL-20220506-033708749.jpg (4.28 MiB) Viewed 3066 times
PXL-20220506-033217733.jpg
PXL-20220506-033217733.jpg (7.46 MiB) Viewed 3066 times
PXL-20220506-033141213.jpg
PXL-20220506-033141213.jpg (3.54 MiB) Viewed 3066 times
Except its for NTSC only, it uses a 6.8uH Inductor and a 300pF capacitor for the NTSC luma trap.
MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

You don't need any adapters if you have a 1702, I designed the cores to work perfectly with my 1702, it was probably the main reason I worked on the Y/C framework.

You just need a VGA to component cable :)
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

Unread post by LamerDeluxe »

I just managed to order one of antoniovillena's adapters. Really looking forward to trying this.

I hope there will be a VIC-20 core version with support for it as well, as that was my first computer, so composite will look closer to how I normally use it.

But more than that, I hope that this will become standard core functionality on MiSTer.
AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

Just to understand: I have the VGA->Composite/S-Video adapter of Antonio (https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/) and I connect it via component to my Trinitron and I use the "normal" cores. What is the difference with the MikeS1 cores?

Thanks!
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

AmintaMister wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:23 am Just to understand: I have the VGA->Composite/S-Video adapter of Antonio (https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/) and I connect it via component to my Trinitron and I use the "normal" cores. What is the difference with the MikeS1 cores?

Thanks!
This new technique, applied to the modified cores, outputs an Y/C signal directly from the VGA output, without any conversion (with a VGA to component cable you can use Y/C directly). For composite, it needs a luma trap added, so you don't get artifacts. This is what the much more simple adapter that Antonio also sells does (combines Y and C with a luma trap for composite, as well as providing an S-VHS connector and PAL/NTSC support).
AmintaMister

Unread post by AmintaMister »

LamerDeluxe wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:27 am
AmintaMister wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:23 am Just to understand: I have the VGA->Composite/S-Video adapter of Antonio (https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/pro ... o-adapter/) and I connect it via component to my Trinitron and I use the "normal" cores. What is the difference with the MikeS1 cores?

Thanks!
This new technique, applied to the modified cores, outputs an Y/C signal directly from the VGA output, without any conversion (with a VGA to component cable you can use Y/C directly). For composite, it needs a luma trap added, so you don't get artifacts. This is what the much more simple adapter that Antonio also sells does (combines Y and C with a luma trap for composite, as well as providing an S-VHS connector and PAL/NTSC support).
Thanks!
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

Lu now has a video about this...

https://youtu.be/DBy_XPmieKc
riblad_om

Unread post by riblad_om »

Lu's video says you need to go to s-video before composite, but I'm just going component straight to composite with no s-video in between. Am I going to break something doing it this way?

edit: apparently there's a possibility of damage, gonna grab those s-video cables
green_onion

Unread post by green_onion »

riblad_om wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:18 am Lu's video says you need to go to s-video before composite, but I'm just going component straight to composite with no s-video in between. Am I going to break something doing it this way?

edit: apparently there's a possibility of damage, gonna grab those s-video cables
Out of curiosity, what would the risk of damage be?

I'm also using a VGA->Component to Composite with no S-Video between them. The result looks fine for NES/SNES/PCE, but MD/SCD/NG/PS1 cores have much more distracting rainbow banding and artifacts.
dmckean

Unread post by dmckean »

green_onion wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:00 pm
riblad_om wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:18 am Lu's video says you need to go to s-video before composite, but I'm just going component straight to composite with no s-video in between. Am I going to break something doing it this way?

I'm also using a VGA->Component to Composite with no S-Video between them. The result looks fine for NES/SNES/PCE, but MD/SCD/NG/PS1 cores have much more distracting rainbow banding and artifacts.
You'll be outputting about .65 volts over spec. You'll basically slowly kill your TV circuitry over time running that way.
green_onion

Unread post by green_onion »

dmckean wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:13 pm
green_onion wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:00 pm

You'll be outputting about .65 volts over spec. You'll basically slowly kill your TV circuitry over time running that way.
Good to keep in mind. I'll look into adding an S-Video step to the chain. Thanks!
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

ZEZ has another video about this subject. This one is a little more in depth....

https://youtu.be/Swu4-LK8Fns
LamerDeluxe
Top Contributor

I received the adapter from Antonio today. I'm having a lot of color artifacts with it. I've been communicating with MikeS1, to correct dynamic color artifacts in PAL mode. But right now it looks like the luma trap might not be working correctly.

Also if you order it with a housing, the housing says PAL/NTSC vertically. But the switch works horizontally and switches between s-video and composite.

My advice would be to hold off on ordering right now, until it becomes clear what is causing the color artifacts.
antoniovillena

LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:33 pm I received the adapter from Antonio today. I'm having a lot of color artifacts with it. I've been communicating with MikeS1, to correct dynamic color artifacts in PAL mode. But right now it looks like the luma trap might not be working correctly.

Also if you order it with a housing, the housing says PAL/NTSC vertically. But the switch works horizontally and switches between s-video and composite.

My advice would be to hold off on ordering right now, until it becomes clear what is causing the color artifacts.
Hi. Thank you for the advice. I will halt the item without stock until MikeS1 receive his one and we can fix the problem. About housing I am using the same housing of the other adapter. In future designs I can flip the top to hide the PAL/NTSC texts by swapping the SVIDEO and Composite connectors.
matijaerceg

antoniovillena wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:49 pm
LamerDeluxe wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:33 pm I received the adapter from Antonio today. I'm having a lot of color artifacts with it. I've been communicating with MikeS1, to correct dynamic color artifacts in PAL mode. But right now it looks like the luma trap might not be working correctly.

Hi. Thank you for the advice. I will halt the item without stock until MikeS1 receive his one and we can fix the problem. About housing I am using the same housing of the other adapter. In future designs I can flip the top to hide the PAL/NTSC texts by swapping the SVIDEO and Composite connectors.
Antonio, how did you test your units exactly?
antoniovillena

matijaerceg wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:08 pm
antoniovillena wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:49 pm

Antonio, how did you test your units exactly?
I've tried NES core with some games and I did not see nothing strange
matijaerceg

antoniovillena wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:55 pm
matijaerceg wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:08 pm Antonio, how did you test your units exactly?
I've tried NES core with some games and I did not see nothing strange
NES doesn't have much rainbow artifacts to begin with.

Are you able to test Genesis core via composite (since it has a lot of rainbow artifacts via composite usually) and maybe post results?
antoniovillena

matijaerceg wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:02 pm Are you able to test Genesis core via composite (since it has a lot of rainbow artifacts via composite usually) and maybe post results?
Ok. I will try during this weekend. I consider discard this version of the cheapo board and when the new version it's available I'll replace (send new boards) to buyers of current one.
passballtotucker

Unread post by passballtotucker »

Yeah I got just got Antonio's adapter today and it doesn't look any different than just using component to s-video to composite. It is more convenient though, but It doesn't look like it has a luma trap.
matijaerceg

passballtotucker wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:59 am Yeah I got just got Antonio's adapter today and it doesn't look any different than just using component to s-video to composite. It is more convenient though, but It doesn't look like it has a luma trap.
Better wait for the revised board I guess.. Or for Mike's boards, which are actually being meticulously tested.
shertz

Unread post by shertz »

Thank you Mike for making these custom cores to use S-video. I have 2 Mitsubishi 33" Megaview PVM's, 2 Sony 19" PVM's, and about a half dozen monitors with component inputs. I gotta say that I am really enjoying playing my MiSTer on my Commodore 1702 monitor. This is to me true nostalgia. I grew in the 80's playing on home computers and consoles on a 13" screen. Its an added bonus that i now get to play them on nice crisp S-video. Thanks again for all your effort. Looking forward to getting your S-video/ composite dongle.

P.S. please add the odyssey2 to your list of cores.
MikeS1
Core Developer

Unread post by MikeS1 »

The 1702 is why I started this journey :)

I'lll add the Odyssey2 and a couple more this weekend :). I've been spending too much time trying to prototype different breakout board designs. But happy I have one out open source right now.
riblad_om

Unread post by riblad_om »

Has anyone come up with an elegant solution to the Arcade cores? Right now it seems like you have to put them in the arcade folder, eyeball version numbers to make sure you delete the right thing, then make sure you don't update your arcade cores so they don't get replaced, but I don't really know how the mister file structure works.
matijaerceg

riblad_om wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:49 am Has anyone come up with an elegant solution to the Arcade cores? Right now it seems like you have to put them in the arcade folder, eyeball version numbers to make sure you delete the right thing, then make sure you don't update your arcade cores so they don't get replaced, but I don't really know how the mister file structure works.
Maybe put it into an _ArcadeYC folder? See https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=34832