Extending buttons and LEDS for case

For topics which do not fit in other specific forums.
RascalUK

Extending buttons and LEDS for case

Unread post by RascalUK »

So, this has been an ongoing project for a while but finally had time this weekend to do some work on it. I 3D printed a wedge case for my MiSTer, spraypainted it, and altered the design of the files I got online so I could incorporate panel-mounted buttons and LEDs.

Then I got carried away and designed my first ever circuit board for the LEDs - nothing dramatic, just trying to cut down on wiring and was more pleased than I should have been when they arrived from PCBWay! Today I have extended the wiring out from the I/O board to the correct position on my case. Buttons all work fine, as do the LEDs, to a point, but I'm not sure it's anything I have done wrong so just want to check.

So I have wired all three LEDs from the pins on the IO but only the power one works, but here's the catch, it constantly pulses, which I didn't think was right, but then I noticed the red power light on my IO board also pulses when the machine is turned on. It's never static.

The user one also pulses but I can't get that to work extending it out yet, only the power one pulsing away.

Is the normal behaviour of the power light to pulse? It also looks quite dim on the IO board...

Can anyone check for me? Many thanks.

Paul
RascalUK

Re: Extending buttons and LEDS for case

I may be an idiot.... it seems to just pulse in Menu... loaded a core and it's now a solid light.
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

Do your other lights work when you're transferring/loading data?

I did my first bit of electronics the other week and like you was kinda more chuffed than I should have been. I followed RMC's Checkmate build and a couple of diagrams I found, tried it all out on a test bread board then applied it to some strip board.
I'm in the process of re-casing my set up to check the lights. I should have it back together tomorrow to relay lighting behaviour.
Attachments
20220402_164229.jpg
20220402_164229.jpg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 1062 times
20220402_164214.jpg
20220402_164214.jpg (3.77 MiB) Viewed 1062 times
RascalUK

No, I can't get the external disk light to work. I tried with the Amstrad core loading via a .dsk rom and the middle light on the IO board flashes a few times but the external one does not. I even tried it wired up direct to rule out my PCB. Need to revisit it today. Be great to hear how yours works out.
RascalUK

Actually, although it's quite tricky to tell from the pics. In terms of your 7 pin socket on pic 1, which pin are you adding the voltage to?
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

RascalUK wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:29 am Actually, although it's quite tricky to tell from the pics. In terms of your 7 pin socket on pic 1, which pin are you adding the voltage to?
I've used pin 1 as the common voltage rail, then 2,3,4 that pass through a resistor into the led. I seem to remember that it's not a simple voltage/no voltage circuit.
RascalUK

I might be a bit of an idiot. Had it all the wrong way round - ha late night. Just a few more tweaks and hopefully sorted it....
Hetzen

Unread post by Hetzen »

RascalUK wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:03 pm I might be a bit of an idiot. Had it all the wrong way round - ha late night. Just a few more tweaks and hopefully sorted it....
I didn't remember the lights doing as you said yours were doing, but as mine is in pieces I thought pics of my project might help. Glad you've identified what may be the problem.