Can I free that key for proper use in the game?

user7182

Re: Can I free that key for proper use in the game?

Unread post by user7182 »

I think the code would have to be changed. The main MiSTer application that runs under Linux grabs the key before it gets to the core.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... .cpp#L3619

I wasn't aware of this joystick mode key before you mentioned it. Is this something people on the x86 code use a lot? The only keys I use are to bring up the OSD menu. I think keys should just pass through because I want the x86 core to work as close as it can to a real system.
cursedverses

Unread post by cursedverses »

Maybe like F12, it could become Winkey and Scroll Lock?
akeley
Top Contributor

Unread post by akeley »

You can try to rebind it in the OSD: go to "Button/Key remap for game", press Scroll Lock, then some other key you'd like it bound to, then Enter. This works per-session (until reset) for other keys, not sure about this system one though.
user7182

cursedverses wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:56 am Maybe like F12, it could become Winkey and Scroll Lock?
That seems like a good idea to me, but that combo (Winkey+ScrollLock) takes a screenshot. So does Alt+ScrollLock and Winkey+PrintScreen. Maybe there's room to take that combination and repurpose it? There seems to be a lot of exceptions for the different cores, and not a lot of notes of why the exceptions exist. Winkey+ScrollLock may exist for a good reason?

Changing the keyboard emulation mode can only be done with scroll lock or num lock as far as I can tell, and only scroll lock on cores using PS/2. I think num lock and scroll lock were chosen so the keyboard LED's could tell you which mode you were in. I don't have any keyboards with LED's, are those always driven by the emulation mode? On AO486 if you enable num lock, does the LED not change?
user7182

henryevans wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:48 am Hello, I use a game that need the pressure of the “scroll lock” key in combination of number key (to change view in a old fsim version), but all the time I press “scroll lock” a message on the screen inform me of the change of the emulated input device (normal, mouse, ecc.): can I free that key for proper use in the game?
Thanks to all for any help!
A change went in so when the next update comes out for Main_MiSTer you should be able to use scroll lock. It won't scroll through the emulated modes unless you hold the Win key along with scroll lock.
flynnsbit
Top Contributor

Unread post by flynnsbit »

Here is that unstable build if you want to jump ahead and test. https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nigh ... 405_12959f

@user7182, thanks for this.